Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:14 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
No me gusta lardones!
No me gustan tampoco, and I am often surprised to hear about how crappy certain areas of Broward are. I'm sure you guys are just as surprised to hear about how NICE some areas of Hialeah Gardens, Tamiami, West Miami, and Palm Springs North are. Anyways, that doesn't matter because for the original poster I would recommend Hollywood, Cooper City, or one of the nicer areas of Fort Lauderdale closer to the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 09:17 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Crappy areas are crappy areas, doesn't matter where it is, they are everywhere. Just a different kind of crappy.

I disagree with Hollywood, only because finding something in a nice part is going to be too expensive. That neighborhood the OP lives in is basically a spillover of the many worn out parts of Hollywood.

Believe it or not Mr. Crispy, you do see the occasional pastel colored, burglar barred home in the iffy parts of Hollywood now amongst the general brown and "Broward" looking areas! It's quite pretty looking in comparison because the rest of it looks like it could be in Tampa (no offense to Tampa)!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM

I have a feeling everyone is going to shout "NO!!!" at this suggestion, but Aventura is very nice, has very good schools and is very close to where your husband works. You could get a nice 2 bedroom apartment there for $1300.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Can you really? I actually would have suggested it but I thought it would be too expensive. Not quite sure if it has a "family friendly atmosphere" either.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Can you really? I actually would have suggested it but I thought it would be too expensive. Not quite sure if it has a "family friendly atmosphere" either.
Yup. My friend just saw one for $1250 in an older, but nice building right on Country Club Circle. Aventura City of Excellence (Charter) Elementary School had a 10 rating on greatschools.net the last time I checked (which was probably 6 months ago). Highland Oaks Elementary is well-regarded as well. There are a lot of families there but less (proportionately) than in Davie. Once you get on I-95, it's smooth sailing to anywhere you want to go in (eastern) Broward. If you want a house, Aventura is not advisable because the homes tend to sell/rent high; however, the older condo buildings often offer tennis and a pool and are really good values.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:21 PM

710 posts, read 2,234,267 times
Quote:
Friends of ours live in townhouse development off of 34th Ave (can't remember the name). TONS of kids roaming around when I've been there before/after dinner.

My parents are ina tower closer to the water, tons of kids in the pool on the weekends too. (But a lot of them are just "visiting" to swim or down on vacation visiting Grandma/pa).

Aventura is certainly not everybodies cup-of-tea, but it at least should be on their "list."

Old 11-25-2008, 02:02 PM

25 posts, read 129,468 times
Unhappy Help! totally clueless...

My husband just got a job in the area of Hialeah. But we want to live in ft Lauderdale, because our son studies in Nova and works in Pompano.. The realtor recommended PINE ISLAND RIDGE SECTION EIGHT 109-43 B LOT 50-C TRACT; ARROWHEAD GOLF AND TENNIS CLUB PHASE II PB 101-31 B etc. Totally clueless, also Plantation=JACARANDA PAR 253 119-24 B COMM AT SE COR OF SAID ??????? Please advise.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:59 PM

710 posts, read 2,234,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaGina View Post
My husband just got a job in the area of Hialeah. But we want to live in ft Lauderdale, because our son studies in Nova and works in Pompano.. The realtor recommended PINE ISLAND RIDGE SECTION EIGHT 109-43 B LOT 50-C TRACT; ARROWHEAD GOLF AND TENNIS CLUB PHASE II PB 101-31 B etc. Totally clueless, also Plantation=JACARANDA PAR 253 119-24 B COMM AT SE COR OF SAID ??????? Please advise.
Assuming your DH is taking 75 south to Hialeah and these are your only 2 choices, I would easily choose Jacaranda.
I lived near there and went to Nova (a million years ago), it's not that much worse a commute than PI Ridge would be and a slightly nicer area.

Just my 2cents -- good luck.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM

25 posts, read 129,468 times
Smile Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Assuming your DH is taking 75 south to Hialeah and these are your only 2 choices, I would easily choose Jacaranda.
I lived near there and went to Nova (a million years ago), it's not that much worse a commute than PI Ridge would be and a slightly nicer area.

Just my 2cents -- good luck.
Thanks Planetsurf. Your 2 cents are gold to me.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:30 PM

39 posts, read 121,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaGina View Post
Those areas are great. I live east of those areas right next to Nova. The area has plenty to offer. One thing to keep in mind when purchasing a home is to find out the year built and what the insurance rate is on the home. Most houses built after say 93-94 have Miami-Dade hurricane building code, which drops your insurance a LOT. Also make sure it has storm shutters. Almost all newer homes have them. If it has them, then your fine. I had my 95 built home with Class A accordion shutters installed inspected for insurance coverage. The premium was discounted 50%, so keep this in mind. The accordion style are super fast to secure, about 15 minutes on a 2 story home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area