Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 AM

90 posts, read 264,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
"Boy, I am remembering Montego Bay was owned by Eddie Trotta, now the motorcycle builder. I knew him a million years ago when both he and I raced offshore boats. Or did Eddie own "Uptown"? I wonder who remembers that club?

I still have my old Montego Bay VIP card. Ft laud was the very best back then."

Mike, you may be right. My memory is a little fuzzy on who owned what. Weren't Montego Bay and Uptown two clubs side by side? And then Uptown became something else? I know for sure Vincent owned September's, but for some reason I always thought he was involved in Montego Bay first. But I could be wrong and if you knew Trotta, you are probably right.

Yes, Ft. Lauderdale was the VERY best back then. Like I said, work hard, play hard.
Montego Bay, Uptown, Septembers, all good clubs back in the day in Lauderdale. You raced offshore with Eddie? Did you drive or throttle the boat? Which boat, the Cigarette, or? Great times. Love this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 06:39 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,179,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post
Montego Bay, Uptown, Septembers, all good clubs back in the day in Lauderdale. You raced offshore with Eddie? Did you drive or throttle the boat? Which boat, the Cigarette, or? Great times. Love this thread.
I'm the wrong person to ask, I never knew Trotta, I was responding to Mike, who did know him. But I'm glad someone revived this thread, it's my fave. I come here to reminisce. Like I said, what I wouldn't give to have a time machine and spend one night back in Ft. Lauderdale in the 1980s. A Friday night!

Hmm, what would I do?

Shooter's for happy hour. Then run home for a shower and change of clothes. Down to Las Olas for dinner at Lagniappe, then maybe Christopher's, Yesterday's for some dancing, September's for more dancing and last call. Maybe up to Pompano for a little after hours action, maybe not. And if the good times gods are kind, maybe they'd even let me wake up in Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday, so I can chill out by the pool at the Riverside club. And a late lunch or snack at the Southport Raw Bar. Dinner at Cafe de Paris. And if the good times gods let me stay until Sunday, a little cruise on the Intercoastal, a walk on the beach, a dip in the ocean.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 PM

242 posts, read 499,249 times
Quote:
I'm the wrong person to ask, I never knew Trotta, I was responding to Mike, who did know him. But I'm glad someone revived this thread, it's my fave. I come here to reminisce. Like I said, what I wouldn't give to have a time machine and spend one night back in Ft. Lauderdale in the 1980s. A Friday night!

Hmm, what would I do?

Shooter's for happy hour. Then run home for a shower and change of clothes. Down to Las Olas for dinner at Lagniappe, then maybe Christopher's, Yesterday's for some dancing, September's for more dancing and last call. Maybe up to Pompano for a little after hours action, maybe not. And if the good times gods are kind, maybe they'd even let me wake up in Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday, so I can chill out by the pool at the Riverside club. And a late lunch or snack at the Southport Raw Bar. Dinner at Cafe de Paris. And if the good times gods let me stay until Sunday, a little cruise on the Intercoastal, a walk on the beach, a dip in the ocean.
i used to work at shooters waterfront cafe. the cigarette boats would be 10 deep across the intracoastal that the coast guards would call our dock boys and have them move the boats. they were blocking the intracoastal. i made so much crazy money it was awesome. we called it all stupid money. lol miss those days. i also used to work at josephs nightclub. it was on oakland by shooters. after partying in fort lauderdale we would drive to pompano to a club called g. willikers, spelling is wrong. and then go to club magic or park avenue. then we would go to michelles last call on commercial behind the burger king. hahahaha this was a late night club. used to be called billy's last call too.
those were the best days in florida. lots of money in that town. the best restaurant called la dome on los olas blvd with a piano player, closed down now.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLady13 View Post
i used to work at shooters waterfront cafe. the cigarette boats would be 10 deep across the intracoastal that the coast guards would call our dock boys and have them move the boats. they were blocking the intracoastal. i made so much crazy money it was awesome. we called it all stupid money. lol miss those days. i also used to work at josephs nightclub. it was on oakland by shooters. after partying in fort lauderdale we would drive to pompano to a club called g. willikers, spelling is wrong. and then go to club magic or park avenue. then we would go to michelles last call on commercial behind the burger king. hahahaha this was a late night club. used to be called billy's last call too.
those were the best days in florida. lots of money in that town. the best restaurant called la dome on los olas blvd with a piano player, closed down now.
Hah! G. Willikers, another blast from the past. And I vaguely remember Jospeh's, too.

I see that the Cafe de Paris is still there, and also La Bonne Crepe, I loved them both. But there was also a very elegant French/New Orleans cuisine restaurant one block off Las Olas that was one of my faves. Maybe it was Le Dome, but I'm not sure. Anyone know? It was not directly on Las Olas, but like one or two blocks behind it. Looked like an elegant old house with casement windows, with a portico and lush landscaping and little twinkling gold lights on the bushes outside.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:03 PM

And I just want to say, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, that the guys of Ft. Lauderdale in the 1980s were the BEST. GENTS. EVER. Sure you had some bad apples here and there, there were some gangster types, but they were gangstERS, not gangstAS, if you get my drift.

I found the men of Ft. Lauderdale in the '80s, both young and older, to be attractive, well dressed, gracious and generous to the extent that their finances allowed. They looked good, smelled great and there were some excellent dancers in the bunch. Intelligent, too, with good conversation. Again, there were some mouth-breathers looking to get a leg over, but for the most part, I think Ft. Lauderdale in the 1980s had an exceptional group of men of different ages living there.

Here's to you, gents!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,325 times
The 80's were great but by no means were they as fun as the late 60's early 70's!

(I know and I have the memories to prove it)

Old 05-17-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Hah! G. Willikers, another blast from the past. And I vaguely remember Jospeh's, too.

I see that the Cafe de Paris is still there, and also La Bonne Crepe, I loved them both. But there was also a very elegant French/New Orleans cuisine restaurant one block off Las Olas that was one of my faves. Maybe it was Le Dome, but I'm not sure. Anyone know? It was not directly on Las Olas, but like one or two blocks behind it. Looked like an elegant old house with casement windows, with a portico and lush landscaping and little twinkling gold lights on the bushes outside.
i think it was the french quarters. it looked like a beautiful victorian house with lots of flowers and foliage around.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 AM

oh yeah, no one mentioned Pickles Bar!!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLady13 View Post
i think it was the french quarters. it looked like a beautiful victorian house with lots of flowers and foliage around.
THAT'S IT! The French Quarter. I LOVED that place. Is it still there? As I recall the food was very good, excellent service and atmosphere.

Thank you sooo much, GypsyLady, it was really bugging me that couldn't remember the name. Reps to you!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
THAT'S IT! The French Quarter. I LOVED that place. Is it still there? As I recall the food was very good, excellent service and atmosphere.

Thank you sooo much, GypsyLady, it was really bugging me that couldn't remember the name. Reps to you!
Shucks, closed in summer of 2006. The owner received an offer for his some of his real estate holdings in the Las Olas area.

Fort Lauderdale loses its French Quarter - South Florida Business Journal

I hope the deal went through and I wish him well. I guess he's still got Cafe de Paris. As the article says, that restaurant was one of the best in the state. Doesn't surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area