Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: Ft. Lauderdale, teacher degree, finding jobs, cost of living, renting an apartment.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 PM

17 posts, read 43,794 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Iowa City, Iowa and considering moving to the Ft. Lauderdale area. I am 23 years old, single, and an elementary school teacher. Can anyone give me feedback on the area? What is it like to live there? Are the schools decent to work in? What is the overall quality of life like? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:44 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,591 times
The best advice I can give you is to visit the area for a few days and see what you think, especially since you're coming from a place that has almost nothing in common with South Florida. Try to connect with a few teachers here and get their impressions.

I will say that teacher salaries in Broward County aren't very good in relation to the cost of living, which has resulted in many teachers leaving for jobs in Georgia and other southeastern states. But it might be easier for you as a young, single person who doesn't have a family to support. If you're a married teacher with a few kids, it's almost imperative that your spouse have a good-paying job.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,961 times
I am a fellow midwestern who just relocated to Florida. It has been a challenge trying to find a job. Many of the places I have interviewed at received 300-400 applications in less than 10 days for an open position. Additionally, Broward county and Miami-Dade education systems are suffering from severe budget cuts and the state is now looking at making more cuts. So, my point is that you should strongly consider the economic environment here before making such a big jump. As Chisoxfan mentioned, it will be important to visit the area and meet other teachers to help you make your decision.

One way to find out more about the area is to read the local papers - Miami Herald and the Sun Sentinal. This will give you broad picture not only of what is happening here but also of what the locals are concerned about.

I hope this helps!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:52 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Take advice. Things are tight all over with budget cuts. If you have work where you are, my advice would be to stay put. Things have slowed down considerably for Broward and Dade Public Schools. Plus real estate is still expensive down here. Begining salaries start at around $37k/year for Broward Public School teachers, and rent will vary. Do the math, and see what works for you. I would stay put for now, if I were you. Another thing, visit and build a network, if not networks before moving down here. It may appeal to you, it may not. That's up to you, but visit for the following year or so (I mean, summer/fall/winter / spring ) then make up your mind. Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM

99 posts, read 304,251 times
My suggestion is, look up greatschools.net, find the best schools in the area - have a list of both private and public schools. Then, visit the area, set up interviews with the schools, or just visit them. Drive around at the time of day you would expect to be driving to work or home, check out neighborhoods related to those schools and see how they suit you. I know from experience that if you are going to make a big move to another part of the country, you MUST visit if you can afford to. There isn't a single website out there that will help you get a feel for the area, meet the people and rub elbows.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:40 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times
Hi I'm new to posting on this site so I may have double posted-sorry! I just saw the OP and had to reply. I have lived in South Fla. my whole life and both my parents graduated from the Univ. of Iowa. They have very fond memories of Iowa City. My mom has been a teacher for Broward County schools since she transfered from Iowa in '77. She will retire next year and then if we can sell our house we are moving back to Iowa. I fear this post will appear too negative but I feel I must warn you. So. Fla is TOTALLY different from Iowa. People here are EXTREMELY rude and almost everyone has a "out for myself only" attitude. People are very superficial down here. It is hard to meet people here if you don't drink or go to bars. Crime and drugs are rampant. I never feel safe. Someone just made a copy of my debit card & stole 1700 dollars from atms in Miami. One of my mom's students is up for murder for holding up and shooting people at Dunkin Doughnuts. Stuff like that happens all the time down here and sadly it's business as usual. Broward schools are very underfunded. Sometime the are not even any books. I could go on all day but I won't bore you. Please feel free to PM me if you have any teacher questions or want to know anything else. Oh cost of living is very high with rent for a 2 bedroom apt around 1200-1600 a month. As someone else said, come down for a visit before you decide. Sorry again for being a downer but So. Fla is a tough place. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 PM

324 posts, read 807,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I saw your post and had to reply. First off both my parents graduated from Univ. of Iowa and have very fond memories of Iowa City. My mom lived in Coralville too. My mom is also a teacher and transfered from Iowa to Broward County. She has been teaching here since 1977 and will retire in a year. I have live in So. Fla all my life so I know where I speak. I don't wish to come off negative but there are some things you should know. S. Fla is TOTALLY different from Iowa. The people here are beyond rude and nasty. The attitude is "look out for yourself and forget everyone else". Crime is absolutly rampant. One of my moms students is now up for murder in a string of hold ups and murders at Dunkin Doughnuts. As a single person it is hard to meet people if you do not drink and go to bars. Drugs are everywhere. The cost of living is very high with rent for a 1 bed 1 bath starting at 1000 a month. 2 bed is like 1200 to 1600 a month. We have no real winter and summer is oppressively hot and lasts from May till October. The school system is very underfunded. Dicipline problems severe. I am so sorry to be such a downer and frankly it would take all day to explain everything about Fla. Please don't hessitate to PM me if you need more info on teaching jobs or anything. I just feel like people should know what life is like down here. My family and I are moving back to Iowa as soon as the economic crunch down here allows us to sell our house. Good luck with whatever you decide. Take care, lilred0005
I couldn't have said it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area