Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Now this is what I call a good ending...Group Hug, everyone?

Wild,
I just noticed your post about photography.
I'm learning as I go. I'm no pro, but the passion is there. I want to get a pro or semi-pro grade Camera. Something between $600-$1K. I'm still shopping and reading feedback online. I'm looking at both Canon and Nikon. What's your opinion on the D90?
What I use now is a Kodak Easyshare Z1012. Not top of the line, but I get good results from it. I will be doing a Flickr photostream sometime in the coming weeks. I will DM you the link. If you have a Flickr photo link or photostream, DM it to me.
I am blown away by the Nikon line man. Image Quality is amazing in my opinion. If I hadn't purchased so much Canon gear I would have jumped ship and gone Nikon long ago. The Nikon D300 or D700 are two of the best semi pro grade cameras out there right now. Canon is still trying to play catch up with Nikon after Nikon pulled the coup de'tat with the two cameras i just mentioned. You can NOT go wrong with the D90 man. In fact i was about to purchase it back in January but I decided to stay with canon because of al the canon gear I have. Oh and on Flickr, Nikon has a official user group where actual professional Nikon photographers have lessons and contest to help you improve your skill. Nikon is a class act right now man. I will DM my flickr around, I have not uploaded anything yet though. I am in the process of building a portfolio, I will be shooting university sporting events. The next one will be a university tennis match. OH and you should get a video called perfect exposure for digital photographers link. It goes over the zone system by ansel adams. One of the BEST videos I have ever seen and has really helped me a LOT. Its about 50 bucks but it is worth EVERY penny man. That same site has another video about learning photoshop cs3 and one on cs4. I use CS4 but gotta tell you the videos are well worth it. I will be using flickr and also smug mug (to eventually sell prints). Oh and there is a another site you might want to think about joining this group link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,957 times
Quote:
Now this is what I call a good ending...Group Hug, everyone?

Wild,
I just noticed your post about photography.
I'm learning as I go. I'm no pro, but the passion is there. I want to get a pro or semi-pro grade Camera. Something between $600-$1K. I'm still shopping and reading feedback online. I'm looking at both Canon and Nikon. What's your opinion on the D90?
What I use now is a Kodak Easyshare Z1012. Not top of the line, but I get good results from it. I will be doing a Flickr photostream sometime in the coming weeks. I will DM you the link. If you have a Flickr photo link or photostream, DM it to me.
Don't buy a new camera - check on FM as there are good deals to be had.

Buying a new camera is throwing away good money. Take a look --> Buy & Sell - FM Forums

You can get a 30D used for less $500 or a 20D for less than $400 .....

Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 PM

I would not go this route personally. You don't know how these people took care of these cameras. Secondly if you are going to get serious about photography buying a camera that could break on you during a shoot is not intelligent. Prices are extremely low right now, get new and get a warranty or you can get personal article insurance on the camera which is even better. Depending on what type of photography you will be doing you should plan to get two bodies (cameras). If you are using it for a hobby then sure by a used one, if you are trying to go pro then if you can afford it buy new and plan on purchasing a second camera. Nothing like doing a shoot and your camera fails on you.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I would not go this route personally. You don't know how these people took care of these cameras. Secondly if you are going to get serious about photography buying a camera that could break on you during a shoot is not intelligent. Prices are extremely low right now, get new and get a warranty or you can get personal article insurance on the camera which is even better. Depending on what type of photography you will be doing you should plan to get two bodies (cameras). If you are using it for a hobby then sure by a used one, if you are trying to go pro then if you can afford it buy new and plan on purchasing a second camera. Nothing like doing a shoot and your camera fails on you.
WS...this is the best route to go,,trust meh..spend some time on that board and u will see...once stuff is posted, it goes quickly.. which reminds me I have a lens to sell.......most of these folks take Extremely good care of their stuff...they just always looking to have the latest and greathest..

btw, shameless plug...one of my boys site.. Ted Mebane Photography ...and we use the same equipment...and another shameless plug... http://www.printroom.com/studio_home...ain_name=yardy

Last edited by tonyc; 02-23-2009 at 09:21 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
WS...this is the best route to go,,trust meh..spend some time on that board and u will see...once stuff is posted, it goes quickly.. which reminds me I have a lens to sell.......most of these folks take Extremely good care of their stuff...they just always looking to have the latest and greathest..

btw, shameless plug...one of my boys site.. Ted Mebane Photography ...and we use the same equipment...and another shameless plug... Donovan Marks Photography
To each their own I guess. I have friends who shoot for fashion magazines, and they don't nor would they ever purchase used. But they make their living off of what they do and very well I should add.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Thanks for info guys. I will be spending some time on FM, so don't send a search party if you don't see me for a while...

I think I will go new, but will check to see what they have. Just out of curiosity. I already have most of the money put aside for what I am looking for. Just a matter of finding deals. Anyone bought (electronics) from Amazon?

tonyc,
Your friend's site is badass (Ted Mebane). Nice work. I like the work he did in Trinidad too (very vivid, the colors, everything's on point ). Nice work, some real nice stuff. I have a whole lot to learn.

I will check Donovan Marks' work too. (getting late)

Old 02-24-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for info guys. I will be spending some time on FM, so don't send a search party if you don't see me for a while...

I think I will go new, but will check to see what they have. Just out of curiosity. I already have most of the money put aside for what I am looking for. Just a matter of finding deals. Anyone bought (electronics) from Amazon?

tonyc,
Your friend's site is badass (Ted Mebane). Nice work. I like the work he did in Trinidad too (very vivid, the colors, everything's on point ). Nice work, some real nice stuff. I have a whole lot to learn.

I will check Donovan Marks' work too. (getting late)

Kewl...DM site has a few presidents....

Old 02-24-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
To each their own I guess. I have friends who shoot for fashion magazines, and they don't nor would they ever purchase used. But they make their living off of what they do and very well I should add.
kewl...but when ur buying 10 and 20k of equipment, it's sometimes difficult to buy new..when you can get the same equiment for 30- 40 % off... I would Never ever buy a new lens or camera again...lol...no way no how...it's like the current real estate..

Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
kewl...but when ur buying 10 and 20k of equipment, it's sometimes difficult to buy new..when you can get the same equiment for 30- 40 % off... I would Never ever buy a new lens or camera again...lol...no way no how...it's like the current real estate..
In that case i do not blame you. However with electronics I don't buy used unless its something i don't care if it breaks. If its something I used to make my living with then new with warranty will win every time for me. However if affordabilility is a issue then I don't blame you. Especially right now, things are crazy tight for everyone!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Long time no hear/see/write Tonyc - hope all is well. That is pretty funny! You know what, I really just figured out what it was that I dislike so much more about the driving here versus in SFL. It is our roads are so skinny. So, yes the drivers in SFL are more careless (IMO), but your roads/highways are so wide that it is (i think) easier to try and avoid an accident. You can become chlostrephobic on a NYC street/highway/bridge, eg. BQE, Triboro, CGP in Queens, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area