Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 PM

7 posts, read 14,827 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My boyfriend and I are looking to relocate from MD to FL in October. I have only been to visit once and that was to Orlando. So, I am unfamiliar with FL and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what a good location would be for 20 somethings? Nice nightlife, a lot to do, people to meet our age, good job market, close to beach? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:46 AM

157 posts, read 601,547 times
good job market? I don't think that exists anywhere any more.
I suggest you look into the job part first so you don't take the risk of moving and then being unemployed. Younger people seem to like South Beach, but it's very expensive to live there, Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood also have a lot going for young people.
come down for a week to "feel" the areas before you make a decision and keep in mind that rent here is much higher than in MD

Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,773,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitelady View Post
good job market? I don't think that exists anywhere any more.
I suggest you look into the job part first so you don't take the risk of moving and then being unemployed. Younger people seem to like South Beach, but it's very expensive to live there, Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood also have a lot going for young people.
come down for a week to "feel" the areas before you make a decision and keep in mind that rent here is much higher than in MD
Shockingly high in comparison to what most people's salaries are. I don't know how these complexes stay open charging the rents they do.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,941,895 times
The rent is high here in Orlando too, Chelsa. Our 2/2 was $1100/mo in Orlando. Our rent in Asheville was $600/mo for a very similar apartment, and pay in Asheville is the same as Orlando. I'm not trying to make this an Asheville vs Orlando, but just letting you know how different it is in much of FL for rent. South FL is even more expensive than Orlando area too.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:30 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,773,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
The rent is high here in Orlando too, Chelsa. Our 2/2 was $1100/mo in Orlando. Our rent in Asheville was $600/mo for a very similar apartment, and pay in Asheville is the same as Orlando. I'm not trying to make this an Asheville vs Orlando, but just letting you know how different it is in much of FL for rent. South FL is even more expensive than Orlando area too.
I know - I pay 1600 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath with garage in Woodside plus electric - the apartment I was looking at in SFl was 1570 with water trash and sewage, but way bigger and tons of amenities, but pricey since I'm sure to take a 20K pay cut. I can't move to another place though - family is taking me to Florida - so, I'll have to deal with it. It still is a TON better than what I have right now!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:32 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,068,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I know - I pay 1600 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath with garage in Woodside plus electric - the apartment I was looking at in SFl was 1570 with water trash and sewage, but way bigger and tons of amenities, but pricey since I'm sure to take a 20K pay cut. I can't move to another place though - family is taking me to Florida - so, I'll have to deal with it. It still is a TON better than what I have right now!
The thing here is that is better to own than rent. Rents are competitive as many ex-homeowners have bad credit now, and many of the landlords overpaid for their properties. I would consider buying within the next year.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:47 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,717,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
The thing here is that is better to own than rent. Rents are competitive as many ex-homeowners have bad credit now, and many of the landlords overpaid for their properties. I would consider buying within the next year.

I think you're exactly right.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:55 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,428,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Glad you came and saw for yourself. Thought it was cheap? Think again, but yes, you are getting a nicer, newer spot for your money.
Does it come with a private garage by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I'd say it's better to rent than to own, right now. Compared to having to pay Property Taxes, Home owner's insurance, Mortgage, your own repairs, HOA fees, ...versus renting.

I'd say renting makes more WAAAAYY more sense now than owning.

The downside of renting from a homeowner is not knowing if the house you're renting will foreclose on, any day. There are some shady, unethical characters out here trying to scam people. Be careful out there.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:13 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,941,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I think you're exactly right.

I'm not so sure it's the best time to buy in FL right now. I thought that way until recently. Prices may continue to drop, and as transient and come n go as FL is, I think renting is the best thing right now.

According to the Forbes article yesterday... Miami is THE worst, and "the rest of FL" is 2nd worst.

Prices may continue to drop further.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,717,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm not so sure it's the best time to buy in FL right now. I thought that way until recently. Prices may continue to drop, and as transient and come n go as FL is, I think renting is the best thing right now.

According to the Forbes article yesterday... Miami is THE worst, and "the rest of FL" is 2nd worst.

Prices may continue to drop further.
Which Forbes article are you referring to? Id love to check it out.

As far as buying versus renting, it comes down to what's best for you. For me putting the same money into a house generated more "equivalent" income than I would ever be able to generate in the stock market, and then I would also have to pay taxes on it. It would cost me about $2500 a month to rent the place Im in now and that same principal money invested would have only generated around fifteen hundred a month tops. After taxes, that would have shrunk to one thousand. Then, Id also have to worry the market could tank again. At least now I have a roof over our heads. If the housing market tanks some more, we still have a roof over our heads. If the stock market tanks, I risk losing what income I have, which would risk whatever I could rent for a thousand/month - a one bedroom which would be too small for our family of four anyway.

If we need to move, I could still rent the place in the overheated rental market for more than Id make in the stock market and be able to live comfortably elsewhere. Everyone's situation is different. I do believe however that the housing market will jog around this level for many years and there is no rush to buy. I would suggest renting if you believe you will be moving shortly . Otherwise, there's no time too soon to begin paying for your house that you will need the equity from once you hit retirement. It comes along a lot quicker than you'd think and not having the expense of housing is essential unless you're very comfortable. Better safe than sorry.

Also, the inflation in housing rentals has far outweighed the inflation in housing prices. Just think - the housing sales market has returned to 2000 levels, but the rental market has continued to rise steeply. It just amazes me that a one bedroom goes for a thousand a month. With interest rates, the way they are, you can buy a townhouse for that monthly amount.

Last edited by fauve; 03-16-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area