Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 PM

68 posts, read 296,525 times

Advertisements

Aviation? How do you feel about being an air traffic controller? They are hiring, you are young enough to start, and the salary is huge by S Fl standards. You work for 25 years, retire with an excellent pension and benefits, and are still young enough to start another career if you so choose. A good friend of mine is a supervisor at MIA, and reccommended it to another friend. She went from a dissatisfied teacher making less than 35k to 70k.

A degree is not needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 8,638 times
I also plan to relocate to the Ft.Lauderdale area, I was considering going to AI and made a lot of trips down there, but i chose to attend a local Community College for Culinary Arts at a fraction of the cost. AI does charge about 52 grand but after comparing all the classes; there all the same education. I am 20yrs old and love everything about south Florida, the school is in a beautiful location, the job market is just not so healthy; I graduate in 9 months and already sending my resumes to Ft.Lauderdale in hopes to find one on time.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 AM

11 posts, read 31,230 times
Ft L has something for everyone!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:30 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Do they have jobs ?

Old 07-21-2010, 02:32 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I've been trying to talk to people from admissions (With the Art Institute Ft LAuderdale) for the last few weeks, maybe months. The admission counselor won't call me back. I keep getting these automated emails saying call/email them if I'm still interested. When I do they claim they, they are busy, and will call me back.(They never call lol.)
So basically I've said just crossed them off my list, They must don't want 50K.

Anyway I still have my scholarships and I've been looking more into the Embry Riddle, Florida Tech, or U Of Central Florida for Engineering.

So I'm off to research these schools. lol I may be asking about those areas soon.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:45 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyinhollywood View Post
Aviation? How do you feel about being an air traffic controller? They are hiring, you are young enough to start, and the salary is huge by S Fl standards. You work for 25 years, retire with an excellent pension and benefits, and are still young enough to start another career if you so choose. A good friend of mine is a supervisor at MIA, and reccommended it to another friend. She went from a dissatisfied teacher making less than 35k to 70k.

A degree is not needed.
Now most schools combine the ATC program with their curriculum, and require that people get a two year degree(in ATC) before they send people to Oklahoma. So one can complete most ATC classes required by the Government, but if one is missing classes required by the college he/she can't go anywhere.

Atleast that's how one of my counselors explained it to me.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 722 times
I believe that the culinary arts school is on 17th St Causeway, the eastwest street at the south end of the famous "strip" beach area. and John Pierre cooking school is on US1 north of Sunrise Blvd. - You CAN do it with a bike - there's not just bus and bike, but water taxi. And everything is virtually within 10 blocks of downtown Fort Lauderdale. Save yourself time in finding a place and look up a reputable real estate company that specializes in rentals. There are 2 that we've used in finding our place(s) - Rent 1 Sell 1, and Preston Real Estate Group. Both have web sites, have a great selection of options and can help you find something that'll work for you close to where you want to be. Hope that helps.

It's a great place to live. Good luck !

Old 01-12-2011, 06:24 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Now as I don't have a car at the moment. How is the city for bikers/ or walkers? (is it safe, logical)
I have read that having a car may be NECESSARY to commute in FT Lauderdale is that true?
It is possible to live here without a car but it may be very unpleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area