Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:12 AM

376 posts, read 911,027 times

Advertisements

121804 ~ I appreciate how compassionate & caring you are ... working with children and their sometimes reluctant parents has made me jaded in some ways.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I was a throwaway child from a wealthy family. It took years and years to get on my feet from that deficit.

It is quite easy to be like Mr. Scrooge and say, "Are there not orphanages? Work houses?"

It's the parent's responsiblity but that's in a perfect world. Turn your back and one day you may be a victim of that child's invasion in your home. Karma is a you-know-what.

I'm not saying that it is the government's responsiblity, either. It is my responsibilty and yours, too. All of ours. But most would never, ever help someone other than themselves.

When you or your children are hungry there are often no quick fixes. Have any of you been pregnant and had NO money? Not even for beans? I'll tell you what. It is a learning experience to knock on the door of some churches. Help is often not where you would expect it and sometimes it takes weeks or months in getting there.

And it's funny what you don't realize when you have never been there. I never donate those "Just add milk and butter" macaroni and cheese box dinners. Usually, poor people don't have those ingredients. Sometimes they don't have a pot or a stove, either.

Want to get assistance? What if the welfare office is 10 miles away and you don't have bus fare and know no one to give you a ride. Want to get to the domestic abuse shelter but can't get there? Ever live in Bonita and be told by the Lee County shelter that you need to go to the Collier County one and the Collier County one says you have to go to the Lee one and gee, you don't actually have transportation to either.

Ever live like your child and you may not live through the night and the police are scarier than your abuser?

Most people like to pontificate but have no idea what it is truly like to be down and out.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:09 PM

681 posts, read 885,314 times
"spread the word and help make sure children are fed"

Nourishing meals are available for youngsters who might go hungry while they are out of school for the summer.

For a complete list of the schools and parks offering breakfast and lunch to anyone through age 18 — even if they do not live here — go to naplesnews.com/kidsmeal. Information there includes sites and times in Collier and the Bonita Springs/Estero area.

For more information, in Collier call (239) 580-9112 or e-mail Jim.Thomas@colliergov.net. In Lee, call (239) 461-8459.

Help share the news with families that need a helping hand.

June/28/2010
Editorial: Summer food program ... spread the word and help make sure children are fed » Naples Daily News

Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
121804 ~ I appreciate how compassionate & caring you are ... working with children and their sometimes reluctant parents has made me jaded in some ways.
I taught middle school. I am very jaded towards parents who can but don't; have **** poor attitudes b/c of their own authority complex, and pass it all on to their kids who never then get a chance.

But I've also seen the other side & that was the side I am talking about.

People LOVE those cheap, FL oranges. Wonder how many know just what those who pick those oranges get paid & the conditions under which they live....

It's not so much the govt that irks me (which is why when posters slam Obama's reform for all of FL's current problems...sorry, it is not 100% him...) but many who cannot see past their own bubble. There are many amazing people in this country & services. But we also live in a country where it is SO easy to shut your door from a reality so many live & a pro baseball player gets over $25k PER world series game & we are ok with that?????

Old 06-29-2010, 08:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I have definitely seen the other side. The folks that feel entitled. The unmotivated. The parents that do not stress education but pass on a hatred of authority and learning to their children. But there are so, so many people out there that are just waiting for half a chance so that they too can contribute to society. The selfish choose to point to the lifetime leeches and ignore the truly hurting. It's intentional and ignorant.

No matter what, always be kind to children. Your one smile or kindness is sometimes all I child has to hold onto; that good people are out there and a better life will someday come. Believe me.

And if you can somehow help, please don't hesitate. Goodness will come back to you in surprising and constant ways.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 PM

681 posts, read 885,314 times
Senate fails to restore some jobless benefits

"For those who question whether this is an emergency situation, they should talk to the Nevadans who I hear from every day who rely on this assistance to put food on the table and pay the bills while they look for work," Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said at a news conference with Labor Secretary Hilda L. Solis.

House leaders were planning to take up the jobless bill Thursday and said they expect it to pass. But its failure in the Senate ensures that more than 2 million people will have their checks cut off before Congress returns to Washington after a weeklong break. The Labor Department estimates that more than 1.2 million people already have been affected.

States typically provide unemployment benefits for up to 26 weeks.
5 million people
Congress triggered emergency benefits in 2008 and expanded them in last year's stimulus package.
On June 2, the federal programs was providing more than with up to 99 weeks of assistance.

June/30/2010
washingtonpost.com

Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Quit outsourcing overseas and bring the jobs home!

What are we doing?

We want the cheapest, right? (Or at least some do).

So many American jobs are lost due to outsourcing overseas. Then, we have to pay our own unemployment.

Bring our jobs back here!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 06:39 PM

304 posts, read 745,325 times
why did I open this post? Did I not know how depressing it would be to read all this conservative, Republican crap? Its the same old BITTER, angry, chip on the shoulder broken record here in super conservative, dont-think-for-yourself Lee county. Of course people should be punished because there are no jobs! silly me!! And of course if someone cant get his/her s*** together in 6 months then they dont DESERVE more "welfare" (p.s. unemployment is a system WE paid into, not a handout)......HELLO, have any of you people read about the reality of the unemployment in Lee county?? Have any of you read the staggering numbers, the facts, the fact that Lee is in the top 3 LOWEST unemployment in the UNITED STATES? And you expect people to just get off their "lazy" bottoms with your simplistic head in the sand age old, tired rhetoric and find a job THATS NOT THERE?? What?? Rice and beans are healthy and yummy? what?! Would YOU like to be stuck with no job, with there being few to no jobs, and eating rice and damn beans every night? How nutritious would you think it was IF IT WAS YOU?? This is the mess that your precious George W Bush put us in, not Obama!! Read something factual for a change! There were more jobs being lost every month under Bush (750,00 a month) BEFORE Obama then there are now!! Imagine that! How could you all be so cold and simplistic in your analysis of things? Yes DUH there will always be some freeloading lazy people, no one will deny that, but for the rest of us regular folk who just want to pay the rent, eat and maybe enjoy the sunshine sometimes, its not the case that we are lazy, stupid, communists, thieves or bums. And I love how you point to craigslist to show how many jobs there are! AH, what a hoot and a half that was!!! Have YOU ever had to look for a job there? Craigslist, do you know the first thing about the jobs list there? HAHAHA, everyone except you seems to know that it is 90% scams and lies! Man, this town takes the cake sometimes! Scary, scary times and scary place to be here in uber conservative land.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:09 PM

376 posts, read 911,027 times
[quote=changeyourthoughts;14865058] And of course if someone cant get his/her s*** together in 6 months then they dont DESERVE more "welfare" (p.s. unemployment is a system WE paid into, not a handoutquote]

Employees do not pay into UI, employers like me do... all the extensions are funded solely by taxpayers.

I work 50 to 60 hours a week and do not get the luxury of UI bennies... as a business owner.

My family eat beans and rice several times a week... and catch fish to supplement and have a garden to make ends meet... no handouts, freebies or gimmes for us.

I am not a conservative ... or liberal, just a hard working tax paying person... no time left in a day to be worried about politics.

It is after 9pm and I am now going back to work... have a great evening!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:14 PM

304 posts, read 745,325 times
TWOBUMS

Be careful with that fish you're catching and eating, waters are heavily polluted with PCBs, heavy metals and chemicals which accumulate in the tissue of fish. Other than that I have nothing to reply to your mystifying post about what an upstanding guy you are. Are you hiring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area