Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:44 AM

681 posts, read 885,790 times

Advertisements

“Our economy is based largely on tourism and real estate,” said Lee County’s water quality coordinator.

Those miles of canals also are conduits for tons of trash, much of which winds up in the Gulf of Mexico and beyond.

This year, Keep Lee County Beautiful and its volunteers have gathered more than 38 tons of junk, much of it from rivers and canals. That puts it on track to beat out the 66 tons collected in 2006, which included debris from Hurricane Charley.

“In the last decade we have seen nothing but ever-decreasing quantities of wildlife and poorer water quality flowing past our dock on the Caloosahatchee,” said commercial fishing guide Pxxx.

June/27/2010
Trash by tons soils Lee County canals | news-press.com | The News-Press

Please try to keep canals clean for the sake of water quality .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:12 AM

206 posts, read 449,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
“Our economy is based largely on tourism and real estate,” said Lee County’s water quality coordinator.

Those miles of canals also are conduits for tons of trash, much of which winds up in the Gulf of Mexico and beyond.

This year, Keep Lee County Beautiful and its volunteers have gathered more than 38 tons of junk, much of it from rivers and canals. That puts it on track to beat out the 66 tons collected in 2006, which included debris from Hurricane Charley.

“In the last decade we have seen nothing but ever-decreasing quantities of wildlife and poorer water quality flowing past our dock on the Caloosahatchee,” said commercial fishing guide Pxxx.

June/27/2010

Please try to keep canals clean for the sake of water quality .
Besides the fact that people are disgusting pigs the system of garbage pick up in CC contributes to the garbage. Having open containers for recyclables is stupid. the stuff falls out all the time. I constantly am picking garbage up after trash day. It all adds up. I heard CC was going with a new company that uses closed containers. That's good. So much garbage comes off of open trucks as well. Something should be done about that as well. But basically people are slobs and don't care.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post

I constantly am picking garbage up after trash day.
Thank you!

" It all adds up to trouble, for the whole county — not just those who live on canals.

"“It just blows me away. We’re trying to have a pristine community that will attract tourists and instead we have this.”"

Unless people volunteer for trash patrol, cleaning is done on a crisis-by-crisis basis, Smith said.

“Like when you get so much stuff in there you run the risk of having the thing back up and flood,” he said, “but there’s nobody to specifically regulate them unless it turns into a real health issue.”

Wxx Txx has lived on Cape Coral’s Sierra Canal for 30 years.
In that time, he said he’s seen everything from dead dogs to dock timbers in the canal. "

June/27/2010

precious water.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,122 times
On this issue,I agree with you wholeheartedly.I have fished out lots of junk that was floating by my dock.Up north,low lifes dump garbage in the pristine forests because they are too lazy and stupid to go to the dump.Down here,the canals are handy........I notice that,down here,there are some third world type people and dumping garbage in the water is a way of life for them back home.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 AM

“ Life as we know it would be impossible in naturally soggy Southwest Florida without canals.

Canals provide the drainage essential for human settlement, and waterways for some of the tens of thousands of boats that are a signature of our way of life.

This matters:
For one thing, the trash looks awful.
People don't want to invest in a community that's trashed

For another, the impact on our natural environment is serious. Trash can tangle or be eaten by wildlife. Oil from leaking offshore wells is catastrophic, but polluting chemicals dumped locally can have a serious effect, too. “

People report litterers repeatedly, with no results. "

June/28/2010
Lee County canals need help with trash: Editorial | news-press.com | The News-Press

Excellent writing!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
One of the things that I never adapted to was the transient nature of the area. People were either just moving in or just leaving. And the snowbirds always acted like it was a nice area to winter in but it wasn't "home." Natives and immigrants, alike, were often dumping stuff, throwing trash out windows.

I always felt like the area wasn't "loved" or respected. I hated that.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM

173 posts, read 156,026 times
Well, when I take possession of my own little piece of SWFL canal, if I find any ****er chucking **** into my canal, he's gonna be going in shortly after to fish it out!

Wherever you live, there will be people who simply don't give a **** about their local environment. Hopefully, a good sense of community will help to stop that - whatever the nationality of the people involved

Old 06-28-2010, 06:39 PM

206 posts, read 449,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritPop View Post
Well, when I take possession of my own little piece of SWFL canal, if I find any ****er chucking **** into my canal, he's gonna be going in shortly after to fish it out!

Wherever you live, there will be people who simply don't give a **** about their local environment. Hopefully, a good sense of community will help to stop that - whatever the nationality of the people involved
You are right if the community as a whole stands together against people who litter and do something it would help a great deal. When you feel you are the only one in ur neighborhood that cares you lose hope.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I always felt like the area wasn't "loved" or respected. I hated that.

Completely the opposite is true.

Cape Coral residents pay property taxes, sales taxes, are fined for minor city code violations, witness mismanagement of the city and are victims of realtors', flippers' and speculators' greed

and yet, they still volunteer to do so many things on their own to revive the city and to help each other.

Very diffiuclt situation for every one, even for the wealthiest as they cannot bear seeing their fellow residents are suffering not only because of diminishing environmental health but also because of lack of any economic direction.

Residents are leaving because they have given up trying.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,122 times
There will always be people who don't care.......the only solution,I believe,is for others to "adopt" a section of canal,roadway or a vacant lot.We have a vacant lot next door and keep it mowed,trimmed and picked up as if it were ours.Other neighbors patrol the canal and remove trash when it show's up.Fortunately,our SE neighborhood has few problems and is looking pretty good but I see other areas that a fairly nice with overgrown vacant lots or forclosures that are in disrepair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area