Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 05:14 PM

146 posts, read 376,422 times

Advertisements

I agree. Coming from Illinois I've seen plenty of mid-90 days, 60 or 70% humidity days. I just don't see SW FL that unbearable. We're sensible about it (plenty of water, limited time in the sun, etc), but we don't hole up in the summer.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,459,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpedwards View Post
I agree. Coming from Illinois I've seen plenty of mid-90 days, 60 or 70% humidity days. I just don't see SW FL that unbearable. We're sensible about it (plenty of water, limited time in the sun, etc), but we don't hole up in the summer.
Do you permanently live there? I thought that house in CC was a vacation home, for now?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 AM

146 posts, read 376,422 times
We're back & forth at the moment - working onsite/telecommuting - anticipating a retirement offer in the near future, then fulltime in CC.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 PM

58 posts, read 107,836 times
Hey copypasta girl okoY

you just don`t give up do you!!...NO ONE takes what you say seriously, you do realize that don`t you?

..maybe you should just get out of Cape Coral if it is as bad as you seem to think

My wife and I love it here, nice and slow pace, traffic isn`t bad......I bought 3 homes and got great deals on them..I`m 46 and I`m setting myself up to retire in another year or so. I`m buying one or 2 more homes and then I`m done, I have good renters, they are paying my bills so I don`t have to work...life is good!

Old 08-26-2010, 07:21 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,564,145 times
Please note that all posts that are "news-like" will be moved to the News thread......I just moved one.....

Frank

Old 08-27-2010, 04:03 AM

681 posts, read 888,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post

The great thing about Florida is that a very large portion of the U.S. population wants to move and or retire here.

You can get great deals in the Cape and elsewhere, if you research your area's of interest.

Oh really?

Florida's population has decreased to a historically low level.

Once doing research on Cape Coral, one understands in what scary shape it is...so much so that the city is digging into reserves just to balance its budget.

Sales of single family homes sold by realtors has dropped 25% and prices have fallen by 3% comparing to July 2009.

By the time one closes on so called "great deal", the value of the house has dropped. This means "loss" !

Not only loss of money...but also loss of opportunity. A report recently said that there are two times more houses entering the market than the houses sold. As the gult of supply and unemployment pushes prices of better homes further down, why should one ever lock his money for a house now when nicer and cheaper houses in better neighborhoods entering the market in abundance?

Cape Coral is the problem spot of Florida for being #2 nation wide and to have over $1 bn debt. It will take years for its market to adjust itself and by then the prices will continue to fall. It means "loss" of money and opportunity.

To buy and rent? Since the rental market has collapsed why should one pay high taxes/insurance/maintenance/etc. just to get a low rent...and from whom anyway. There are/will be more rental units available than renters.

Then we have environmental problems. For example, water of Yachtclub beach is currently so contaminated that people are "strongly" advised not to swim there because of backteria released supposedly by septic tanks. Or take the condition of canals as another example.

When the mayor says we are "in debt up to our eye balls" and the city is using the reserved money just to balance its budget, then the question is what happens when reserves are actually needed for an emergency. This is called financial instability..which has a negative effect on housing prices.

Only recently the former Cape Coral Councilman was convicted for cheating money out of people, or couple of months ago police officers were involved in fraudulent flipping of houses...what kind of political/social environment is this?

Whatever I have written here, is currently discussed in many publications. The best source is of course news-press.com, Miamiherald Tribune, etc.

Last edited by yoko; 08-27-2010 at 04:12 AM..

Old 08-27-2010, 06:45 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,885,693 times
I know,I know,Frank will probably bounce me for getting personal,but I think it's fair to ask......not attacking anyone.....but has Yoko ever,even once,had something nice to say about cape Coral?

Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I know,I know,Frank will probably bounce me for getting personal,but I think it's fair to ask......not attacking anyone.....but has Yoko ever,even once,had something nice to say about cape Coral?

Yes, I have many times.

Patient and generous residents! The ones who have remained and are trying the best to save the city even using their own money...mission impossible!
Or brave whistle blowers who put their own job at stake to save the public health/safety.
Men and women who organize helping the poor/unemployed/homeless children and adults, or run suicide prevention centers or help growing number of drug addicts.

The working poor, American or immigrants who do the worst paid jobs just to send their kids to school hoping for a better future for their kids. How do you think it is possible to have lunch menus for $3.99 ?

One of my favorite stories..a good man uses $14000 of his own money to plant palm trees then gets sick and the city does not want to help him to maintain that street while he is sick!!

While at the same time, tax payers money has been used for presents, take-home-cars, free gas for take-home-cars, $100 000 given to an advertisement company to promote Cape Coral within Cape Coral and printed only 500 blue posters!!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 AM

58 posts, read 107,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Men and women who organize helping the poor/unemployed/homeless children and adults, or run suicide prevention centers or help growing number of drug addicts.
just think of all the good you could do if you put your efforts to that kind of use..instead of what you are doing with every post you make...

this place has it`s problems...but try and be one of the fixes instead of a muckracker

...did you ever hear Eldridge Cleaver`s quote " If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem"

here is an article on it by Fox News

Grrr! If You're Not Part of the Solution...

Monday, August 28, 2006
By Mike Straka
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
We all know people like this: the ones who do nothing to solve problems but are there to be heard. They'll yell and scream and generally cause people around them to waste time dealing with their destructive behavior, rather than solving whatever the issue is.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210858,00.html

Old 08-28-2010, 06:07 AM

While Cape Coral has problem with garbage and weeds in its canals, now home owners living on canals worry about a massive loss of value of their homes as the City has cut back on dredging to save money!!

From 6 dredgers only 2 have been used ! At the same time a new study is suggesting an increase in Councilmen salary to attract the best to the job!

To read more about this problem just Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area