Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
I am not comparing, but merely defining what ‘humans in despair’ really is, but you chose to take my response completely out of context as I did not state or remotely suggest that homelessness is laughable, seems comprehension is seriously lacking herein.
If we continue to dialogue like this, we'll be in violation of the TOS, so I don't want to get into an argument. I was saying that you cannot possibly compare countries where there is war and genocide to the United States. Of course people are in despair all over the world. However, to me, that's like telling someone with AIDS that it's a lot worse in Africa. Sure, if you are homeless and hungry in the United States, there is often a place to go for help. However, it doesn't mean the people who have lost their homes and jobs aren't living in despair.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
But did you stand on the same corner day after day for months or years begging? You probably scratched your way through, maybe with some assistance, and got yourself out of a bad situation.
That is correct.

I was a throwaway child and have fought those circumstances most of my life. A couple of times I have been homeless. I never begged for anything. Both times I got out by my own gumption.

I can honestly say that public assistance in this country is horrible and always has been. The Christians and churches that I came across almost mostly never helped. The only time I have been helped a bit is by the Roman Catholics, on two occasions, and by atheists.

That's just what happened to me. I'm sure everyone is different.

I can say that yes, I have met people that beg for a living. They were not rolling in it but I suspect they didn't want to change their lifestyle. Those people are usually mentally ill or addicted to something. People that want to tell themselves that it is okay to not help anyone use those people as their prime example.

But as I have said many times, the homeless walk among you and you don't notice because they look like you or me.

I have seen my children and other children go hungry. It happens in this country everyday. Do you all think you just go down to the public assistance office and they give you food? It doesn't work that way. You have to get an appointment. Then you wait. Then you have to get together paperwork and submit it. Then you wait. Then they either deny you or give you so little that it wasn't worth it to begin with.

I'm a moderate and I am glad that we are not handing out assistance, willy-nilly, in this country. But on the other hand, to say that children don't go hungry is wrong. They do.

And I think private citizens need to step up more, and especially churches. They enjoy their tax-free profits but rarely help the poor amongst them.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:52 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
I think giving to charities, churches and soup kitchens is the way to help. I get a better feeling that the money will go to the right purpose as opposed to giving to people on the street. They may use the money for drugs or alcohol. I also think the government is very inefficient when doling out tax money.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I think giving to charities, churches and soup kitchens is the way to help. I get a better feeling that the money will go to the right purpose as opposed to giving to people on the street. They may use the money for drugs or alcohol. I also think the government is very inefficient when doling out tax money.
I wouldn't advise giving out money on the street. I only suggest that if you personally know of someone hurting that if you can, you offer to help. And I think churches could do far more than they do. Like I said, some do quite a bit and don't toot their own horn. Others do little to nothing but keep building bigger churches while the pastor drives an expensive car, and worse. I think churches like that should be revoked of their tax free, non-profit status. They are a crock.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:15 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
If we continue to dialogue like this, we'll be in violation of the TOS, so I don't want to get into an argument. I was saying that you cannot possibly compare countries where there is war and genocide to the United States. Of course people are in despair all over the world. However, to me, that's like telling someone with AIDS that it's a lot worse in Africa. Sure, if you are homeless and hungry in the United States, there is often a place to go for help. However, it doesn't mean the people who have lost their homes and jobs aren't living in despair.
No argument. We just see/define 'humans in despair' differently.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:12 PM

Here's another tip for those that are truly interested. Give to food banks if you want to make a difference. Those places really are almost always wonderful. Although I will say that there was one in Bonita Springs that was supported by the Roman Catholics, and I am sure that they didn't know, but the woman that ran it was handing out the food to her friends, and right in front of the people that really needed it. I've looked it up, though, and I don't think it is there anymore.

One of the things I try to remember is to give food that doesn't need other things. Don't send boxes of macaroni and cheese that will also need milk and butter. It is awful to receive this and not have the other foods to make it. If you are really hungry you will have to make do with water and the cheese powder. It doesn't really work but when you are hungry...

Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,391 times
Hi - in the spirit of attempting to do communicate actionable steps towards a problem's solution, this organization is right up there with the best:

Harry Chapin Food Bank - | Emergency Food Suppliers | Feeding SW Florida

Whether drug addicted or temporarily down on their luck, people should not go hungry in US. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just plain sadistic.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:28 PM

Harry Chapin Food Bank is my first recommendation and that's where I told Sam his money would best be spent in post #2. Great minds think alike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area