Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 PM

20 posts, read 35,617 times

Advertisements

So I've had my fill of this dump of a town. It's number one in the country for all the worst reasons. Foreclosures, unemployment, etc. You name it, Vegas sucks for it.

So I'm going to relocate. As of Dec. 2nd, I'm jumping in my SUV, and I'm driving down with my girlfriend. I don't see how Ft. Myers could POSSIBLY be any worse than Vegas, and I'm pretty sure I'd be able to get a job within the 1st week of showing up.

People say there aren't any jobs, but there are. They just may not happen to be what YOU want to do, or have extensive experience doing. Here in Vegas, there are tons of jobs that get posted online, people say there's no work, but there are jobs and SOMEONE is getting them.

I'm sure some of the locals would disagree, but it's easy to say there aren't any jobs when instead of beating the streets and looking for one, you're lurking city-data deterring people from coming to the city.

Maybe I'll see error in my thinking when I arrive, but the way I see it, a positive attitude and confidence will go a long way when competing with the dejected masses of the CC/FM populous.

Comments... anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
So you really don't have a question and just want some comments.

Well, yes, Vegas has a horrible unemployment rate of 15 percent and even Fort Myers looks better than that at 13.5. And you will be going to the place with the most foreclosures to the second most foreclosures in the country. I guess I don't see it as much of an improvement. I live in an area that has an unemployment rate of 7.3 and I know that they have already hired all of the seasonal help. That's pretty scary.

So I guess my question is what is the attraction that makes you think that you would be so much better off? Do you want to live an area that relies on a seasonal influx of senior citizens? Do you have a line of work that would be great with that demographic? If so, then it makes a little more sense.

And yes, Vegas is full of crime, but, per capita, Fort Myers is worse.

Just food for thought. I suspect you already plan to move to Fort Myers, anyway, and I hope it is all you hope it to be.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock.city View Post
Here in Vegas, there are tons of jobs that get posted online, people say there's no work, but there are jobs and SOMEONE is getting them.
I hope you realize that the majority of online jobs advertised are scams or they are the same companies who run ads for years. There are also lots of commission only jobs where you'll work for weeks and never see a dime. I'm not saying there's no work available, but there are usually 200 people standing in line early in the morning after one position becomes available.
Quote:
I'm sure some of the locals would disagree, but it's easy to say there aren't any jobs when instead of beating the streets and looking for one, you're lurking city-data deterring people from coming to the city.
Okay, so this isn't a real thread after all. I mean, why come to a board, say you plan to move, ask questions, and then knock the locals?
Quote:
Maybe I'll see error in my thinking when I arrive, but the way I see it, a positive attitude and confidence will go a long way when competing with the dejected masses of the CC/FM populous.
So you don't live here, but you know we all have a bad attitude? That's a great start when moving to a new city! Move to a place where you think all of its residents are lazy, unhappy slackers. LOL Like some of our other members, perhaps you should pick a city you hate, complain about all the rules, and try to change everything when you get here.

Positive thinking definitely goes a long way, but it usually has to be used with a little common sense. Good luck, whoever you are!

Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 AM

Thanks hik. I did have questions, but I didn't articulate them at all. We seemed to have been on the same wavelength and you hit the nail on the head with your response. It's really not much of an improvement to go from Vegas to Ft. Myers, but it's where my Father is, and I'd like to be close to him for a change. I lived in Tampa for a few years, a few years ago and I loved it. Fishing was nice, weather was to die for, and everything was so close by. I'm trying to get back to that. Even though it's about 40 years away, I want to retire in Florida. I've been everywhere and no where has made me feel as comfortable as Florida did. Thanks for your great reply.

On to Nancy... I quit a job here in Vegas about 3 months ago that I'd been working at for 3 years and within 2 weeks I had another job, from the scam-ad capital of the world, Craigslist.

Say what you want, but there are jobs out there. Yes, there are plenty scams, but there are jobs. That's my point. Unemployment is worse here than it is there, and there is a larger candidate pool applying for the same jobs.

Sure, you can pick out a sucky scenario of commission only sales jobs, but those employers wouldn't have those positions available if sales were impossible. I'll have you know that I'm an outstanding sales person, and have worked in commission-only sales environments. During the recession I might add, and I've not felt a pinch at all. You can't teach a person to sell, it's an inherent ability one must have in order to succeed, and I'm damned good at it.

I didn't knock the locals, but since you complained about that line, I think it's safe to assume you took offense to it, in which case you're just the kind of person the line was meant for! Congrats!

hik didn't seem to think it was an attack on the locals, if he did, he ignored it. Even though he isn't really a local anymore, he seems to stay in tune with the place pretty closely so I'd call him a local at heart.

I also didn't say that all the locals had bad attitudes, but you most certainly do. I went to your profile page and clicked on posts by you, browsed the first page and the vast majority of your posts are negative. So you would also be who I was talking to when I mentioned the dejected masses of the area! You scored twice!

You should use a little common sense and think twice before you respond to a stranger so emotionally. Thanks for the luck, but with people like you in Ft. Myers, I don't think I'll need it!

Old 11-09-2010, 05:11 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,875,677 times
I'd give it a try,Rock.City........you sound like you are resourceful and there's always some way to succeed if you have the drive.You have family here,like the weather and amenities.There are plenty of cheap rentals available.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:46 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,364 times
So you plan on moving from one of the top worst economies in the country to another top worst economy in the the country?

I got news for you....SW Florida isn't doing great in foreclosures or unemployment either.

Find a job first and then move.....not vice versa.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I went to your profile page and clicked on posts by you, browsed the first page and the vast majority of your posts are negative. So you would also be who I was talking to when I mentioned the dejected masses of the area! You scored twice!
They are? Really? I began looking at my replies to negative posts about Fort Myers and Cape Coral. I'll only quote a few comments from recent threads since I've been posting for years. I have over 4,200 posts (mostly on the political forums) in 3 years and you look at "the first page" and know everything about me. Okay.

to some negative comments about the Ft Myers/Cape Coral area
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Oh, please! Give me a break. There are multi-million dollar homes in Cape Coral and crappy run down shacks in Naples. It depends on where you live. Also, how much you can afford has nothing to do with your character or culture. I like Naples a lot, but I'm sure when its residents poop it still ...well, you know.
Quote:
I drove by a couple of homes near Surfside Blvd today and I thought the area was lovely. Unfortunately, it was way too far from 41 and I-75. I don't even like being 4 miles from 41 where I am now.
to a thread about dishonest real estate people in Ft Myers/Cape Coral
Quote:
I'm not in the real estate business at all. I never said I was insulted by your remarks. I was pointing out that some people are never satisfied no matter how hard you try to help them.
to a thread saying people in FL are litigious
Quote:
Not true. You must be watching all those ads on TV for Personal Injury Attorneys. FL has fewer lawyers per capita than most states half its population. In fact, FL has fewer laws to protect consumers, employees and homeowners. However, I do agree that, as a whole, we are a very litigious nation.
a thread asking about Cross Creek
Quote:
I don't think Cross Creek has problems with the reserves. It's an older, more established golf course community. I am not a Realtor, but I am familiar with the development and have never read anything that indicates it's in financial trouble.
in a thread about churches in Ft Myers
Quote:
Heck, once I goofed and attended a Spanish language service and had a great time. (I don't speak any Spanish!)

You will be welcomed in any place of worship where "love your neighbor as yourself" is taught.
in a thread about retiring to Cape Coral
Quote:
Your aunt & uncle probably chose Cape Coral because of the good values and low crime rates.
I deleted others because this post was too long, but these are only from the past couple of months. Just a hint - if you see that someone has posted numerous comments and they are always 100% positive, that person might have an ulterior motive. City-Data has its cheerleaders on many of its forums. Then you've got the people who are always negative. I just tell it like it is. You joined a message board and began bashing the people who live here. You didn't ask for advice, you said exactly what was on your mind and then requested comments. You also assumed that people who post a lot are lazy and not pounding the pavement looking for work. (your words, not mine) If I began posting on the Nevada forum and knocking the people in Las Vegas, I'm sure I'd get the same reaction.

Last edited by justNancy; 11-09-2010 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: post too long

Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 PM

I don't want to break the TOS, but I just want to point out something funny, if not ironic. Someone starts a thread and then knocks a senior member for posting some "negative remarks." I just looked at his first post and it is the most negative comment I've ever read on City-Data about a place to live. LOL

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/16478988-post93.html[/URL]

Just a few lines

Quote:
I joined this site strictly because of this thread. Lompoc is by far, the most miserable, gloomy, depressing, and stifling little place I've ever seen. And I've been everywhere. I lived in that miserable Valley for many years, and couldn't get out fast enough. I actually attended schools there and can attest to the fact that it is definitely NOT the place to raise children. Unless you want them to become low-life, bottom-feeding, basement-dwelling, mouth-breathers.

The town is overrun with meth addicts, pot smokers, breeders, and wannabe thugs/gangsters. There is absolutely NOTHING for the youth to do, other than attend house parties where they get drunk, do drugs, and get pregnant.

The town has some eerie power over it's inhabitants in that they are either incapable of leaving, or are completely delirious and don't wish to escape.
Yes, folks, this is definitely a positive person who has a great attitude!

Edit: RockCity, you also didn't mention in your post that your father lives in Fort Myers. There's a big difference between packing up blindly with no plans and traveling to a city where your Dad owns a condo. So you already know people who live here.
Quote:
My Father lives in the Bellasol community. No Chinese drywall that we know of. It's a great community. He's been living there since July and he absolutely loves it!
I'm done.

Last edited by justNancy; 11-09-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 12:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
You have family there! Then it makes much more sense. And if you are going to be moving in with dad for awhile, as a safety net, you having nothing to lose!

You are correct, too! Cape Coral and Fort Myers is where my heart is and for the same reasons. I have lots and lots of family in the area. Most of them are my husband's family but I have such a small family that I consider them to be my family, too, and they certainly are welcoming to me. I love them.

I lived in Florida for ten years and met my husband in Fort Myers. (Yes, I am female! Just call me Heidi. All the regulars do.)

But I have other considerations, such as our 10-year-old girl. I wish I had 40 years before retirement, but unfortunately I have a heck of a lot less, so we are elsewhere. I'm grateful that we found a wonderful city to be in, but I do miss our family. We now run a business up here but I am trying to finagle a way to be down there for the holidays!

Regarding Nancy, she is a lot like me. She calls it like she sees it and has lived in Florida for a long time, too. I guess you two just got started on the wrong foot. I assure you that she is just worried for you. Nancy has been looking for a job, like a lot of people in the area, and it is not easy.

Nancy and I take a lot of hits because we speak the truth. There are people on the forum with ulterior motives (a lot less than there use to be, though) and if you call it like you see it, you usually tick someone off on either side.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM

Thank you Samia, I appreciate your comments and encouragement.

Chicken Wing, I appreciate your candid response as well, but my point is that it's certainly not worse than Vegas. Peace of mind goes a long way when seeking happiness. I've experienced Florida before, and I know I can find happiness there. As for foreclosures, I'm not swayed. I'm not looking at a home as an investment vehicle to be sold later, I'm looking at it as a place to live and raise a family at some point. So the foreclosures to me are a benefit. It means cheap real estate. The work situation isn't a major concern. I can make money anywhere. I'm a small business owner, and Florida would be a tremendous growth opportunity for my venture. But thanks again for the input!

Nancy... I see you picked through your comments and found the few that weren't negative, however, even those are argumentative and defensive in and of themselves. I'm sure you find yourself defending your perspectives often because of your attacking style of play. You're just sensitive. It's ok. I understand. You've probably always had to defend yourself, so it's easy for you to lash out. I get it.

I didn't assume anyone was lazy, I merely insinuated that those who spew conjecture and detract others from such a lovely place may not be concentrating their efforts in the right places.

As for my very first post being the most negative you've ever read, I'm glad you got my point! That place is by far, the worst place I've ever lived in this entire country. And I've been all over it! When taken in context, and those who are familiar with the place either haven't read it or they agree with me, that post was written after 9 pages of distorted reality from people who either weren't as intimately familiar with the place, or had been there 10, 15, and 20 years before. A lot can change in that much time. Look at Ft. Myers! I'll use your exact words here; "Just a hint - if you see that someone has posted numerous comments and they are always 100% positive, that person might have an ulterior motive. City-Data has its cheerleaders on many of its forums." But thanks for your comments. They are appreciated! I can certainly appreciate your direct and blunt approach, I appreciate those qualities in a person, because I have them also.

Heidi, thanks again for your informative and unbiased opinion. It's a pleasure to see that people like you exist in the world. I have a very large family, and I see you're in Knoxville. I have family there as well. I used to drive to Detroit from Florida on the weekends and KVille is the halfway point. I'd usually stop over and spend time with them while I was on my way there and back. It's a beautiful place. I love the lush hills and tree-lined streets! You should make your way back to Florida someday, it could use more people like you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area