Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 AM

185 posts, read 134,254 times

Advertisements

I received a job offer in Ft Myers. I was wondering if someone would be able to help me. First I see that Ft Myers had a really small transit system and I read that most people prefer to drive. Is it really hard to get around without a car? How long does it normally take for buses to arrive? I do intend to get a car but I will have to be dependent on the bus system for a little while. Also, are there any really good apartment complexes that anyone can recommend. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 07:40 AM

81 posts, read 232,524 times
Fort Myers could be fairly difficult to get around daily without a car. It depends on where you work/where you live....There are some exceptions though. Fort Myers public transit is nothing like one from a major city, so depending on them for your transportation could present a challenge as far as setting your personal schedule. Do you know where your job will be? We could give some living recommendations if you told us where the job is, and what your $$ range is.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:27 PM

My job will be on Center Pointe Drive in the area of Winkler and Metro Parkway. I am not looking for anything too expensive. Rent of $700 max will be good. I am a single person so a studio/1 bedroom is what i am looking for.

Last edited by miasth; 04-01-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 AM

81 posts, read 232,524 times
There are several apartment complexes in that vicinity that would make walking/riding a bike to work VERY feasible. (Anywhere from 5-10 minute walks/bikerides.) Then, you could use public transit to go other places as needed. I've never used LeeTran, so I can't comment on their schedule.

I'm a Fort Myers native, but I haven't looked at local apartment rentals for about 5-6 years now. I do know back when I was looking at apartments, getting a decent place in a decent part of town for $700 would've been impossible. I would think now that you could get a 1 BR for that though. I would think that any of the surrounding complexes would be ok for you. I wish I could remember all the names of them right now. Beach Club and Veridian Lakes(?) are the only names popping up in my head, but I know there are definitely more than 2 apartment complexes in the vicinity of where you'll be working.

What is your definition of really good apartment complexes? I know a couple of the ones in that area are older buildings. I know those apartments aren't in the most desirable part of town, but they're not in exactly a rough part of town either.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 PM

41 posts, read 148,466 times
The two he named are very close to where you will work and they are around 650.00 for a 2 bedroom. They have a exercise room and a pool. They are side by side and pretty large complexes. I believe you can find pictures of them on Craig's List and a ton of rentals on there also. You would have to contact Lee Tran to find out what their schedule's are. I would think they would mail you one if you asked. That area is also close to quite a few restaurants and not to far from Walmart.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the information. I don't mind old buildings as long as they are sturdy and well kept. When i said good apartments i meant good area, well kept etc. I can go check it out but i know from experience that you might not see certain problems until you actually live there.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:42 AM

12 posts, read 34,399 times
Hello,
I am also looking to move to Fort Myers, and have been hearing mixed feelings about the area. Some are saying the neighborhoods are nice and safe, some are not. I was looking at some houses in Lake San Carlos Circle, Fort Myers. Can anyone help with any valuable information regarding safety?

Also, I wanted to ask about general rules regarding outside fences. I have a dog, and wanted to have a fenced-in yard, but some communities do not allow fencing. Is there a website I could find out what the general rules are, or would I have to call each community to find out?

Thanks so much in advance. I appreciate any advice!!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:55 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi02 View Post
Hello,
Also, I wanted to ask about general rules regarding outside fences. I have a dog, and wanted to have a fenced-in yard, but some communities do not allow fencing. Is there a website I could find out what the general rules are, or would I have to call each community to find out?
Dependant on the community & the deed restrictions. It usually is no higher than 3' or no higher than 4'. Some don't even allow fences. If you have a dog, you may need to find a non-deed restricted community if you definitely need a fence for the pup.

If you find a reliabe realtor to help you in the search, they would have no problem leading you in the right direction in regards to areas to search if a fence is a priority.

I just remember it being quite a challenge b/c we wanted a 4' fence & not many places allowed it.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:21 PM

12 posts, read 34,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If you find a reliabe realtor to help you in the search, they would have no problem leading you in the right direction in regards to areas to search if a fence is a priority.

I just remember it being quite a challenge b/c we wanted a 4' fence & not many places allowed it.
Thank you! I would definitely need a fence. What did you end up doing with yours?
I have a realtor, and will ask him right away, I appreciate your help. It's just more difficult because I live in NYC, and have to fly out several times.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:41 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi02 View Post
Thank you! I would definitely need a fence. What did you end up doing with yours?
I have a realtor, and will ask him right away, I appreciate your help. It's just more difficult because I live in NYC, and have to fly out several times.
We ended up not buying due to other circumstances & a job change that moved us from the state. We wanted a fence so our children could play in a controlled environment plus we were planning on getting a golden, so wanted to make sure the dog could run but also be safe & secure.

There are some real pros & cons to moving to a deed restricted community in FM. A fence reg is generally in all of them. This is more for appearance & probably a way to hinder owners of large or aggressive dogs. Personally, I have no issues with large dogs as long as the owners have a proper fence in place. Some communities want to completely deter from dog owners & thus the reg is an easy way to do so.

We initially would only look at deed restricted communities but then found the restrictions to be so silly that we started to deter & just go into mixed communities.

Again, a good & realiable realtor is going to lead you down the right path.

A lot of our initially searching was done via telephone & internet b/c we were in TX & moving to FL...so understand the geography thing!

Good luck. Be very spcific in your requests with the realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area