Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:03 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,678 times

Advertisements

maybe it all comes down to trying out the alternatives incrementally and maintaining a path of retreat.

I suspect there are millions of people who would benefit from more sunshine and less materialism and all the other vices and dead ends people chase to fill the void.

If I was younger, working and raising a family, I personally would be looking at the southern belt of Houston through to Charleston for an area with some industry and good (red) government, maybe a State capital, four seasons but with very brief "winter", more or less as Hik has done.

The non-south-Florida southeast has the benefit of a short sticky season and a short jacket season, with two perfect seasons every six months in the spring and fall. I have yet to meet anyone in Florida who has moved from the southeast...the line seems to be around mid-Pennsylvania.

If I move to full time in Florida, I will build in some escapes for June-September. That being said, the record sticky weather of last week was perfect for the pool and beach, and dawn and evening walks were fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpedwards View Post
I'm in NW Illinois this week. High today in the low 50's. Low last night was 27.

Needless to say, we're ready to get back.
This is the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
I think it went to weather from other parts of the country because I mentioned the weather here as a positive part of SW Florida and some disagreed and others agreed by showing why we are happier about the heat than all that snow.
So no, it has nothing to do with you.

kroeran, that weather was not sticky. That's the good stuff.

I agree with your post, though. I heavily researched to find my perfect place. And even then, no matter where I go, I am still here with me, health issues and all. I am in a much more pleasant place for me, but I travel with all of my baggage. I still have to work on that no matter where I live.

But you are correct. When I researched, I stuck to the southeast. Our summers are a lot milder, too. Last summer was brutal. The second worse in history. And it still was better than swFlorida.

Everything is milder here. I call it Goldilocks weather. Some would do without the winter. But it lasts three months and we get the occasional snowflake. Rarely do they stick and if that happens it melts in a few hours. No need for boots, gloves or shovels.

To me, it is worth a mild cold to see that charm once a year. It's kind of like "cheating" though, since it isn't a "real" winter.

nhkev, fabulous post. I absolutely love it.

Another consideration is dragging your other half around the country because you think location will cure you. They may be humoring you, but the first thing that goes wrong and that is going to bite you in the butt. You might not even need things to go wrong for it to happen. Beware of a quietly pissed off spouse.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,316 times
When we retire, we plan on going to Wisconsin for the summer months to be close to family. Most of the time, Wisconsin has gorgeous summer. This past summer had so much rain which brought so many mosquito. I was out draining the sudden pond that formed while I was selling our home. Usually though, summers are really nice in Wisconsin, that is my season up there. We were hotter than usual too this year. Luckily for me, my husband is really enjoying here too. Family is already planning on visiting, yeah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area