Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 11,444 times

Advertisements

I am retiring to Fl - I am goi Social environmentng to buy a Condo. like the idea of a +55 social environment.

Is FT Myers a good place for that.

If not where is the best??

I am very new at this social networking stuff , How am I doing so far.

Gerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 05:55 PM

36 posts, read 86,886 times
I think this is a nice area, many things to do within easy drive never boring for me. My uncle/aunt just purchased a very nice condo in a gated area at Buckenham in Estero at what I thought was a great price.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:27 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,220 times
Default 55+ Communities

55+ Communities,
I been looking in The Cascades in Estero (non-golf) and Pelicans Preserve in Fort Myers. I love the Estero/Bonita Springs area best but Pelicans Preserve is a beautiful golf community. Pelican Preserves has condos starting around $100,000 and up (depending if you find a foreclosure or not).

There are many other really nice communities that we are considering that are not 55+. I love Pelican Landing (many condos there too). They have a boat ride to an island out to the gulf, trails, tennis, canooing etc... Today we looked at Hunters Ridge. Lots to see.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:32 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
The above suggestions are good, but it all depends on your budget. I'm not just talking about the price of the home, but the HOA fee. When you look at condos in SWFL, make sure you check out the monthly/quarterly fees and if there is also a master HOA fee.

Pelican Landing, Bonita Bay, Hunter's Ridge, Worthington..and so many more aren't age restricted, but they're all very nice communities with a lot of retirees and snowbirds.

If you want to be closer to Fort Myers, an over 55 community that has a lot of amenities, including a golf course, is Seven Lakes. It's a well established HOA, so I doubt if there are any problems with reserves. You can buy a 2/2 condo for around $75,000. It's probably one of the most convenient locations in Fort Myers if you want to be close to shopping and restaurants, but still be in a community with security.

Edit: I also want to mention a CDD. It's an extra charge for amenities, roads, sidewalks and other community infrastructure that is added to your taxes. It stands for Community Development District and is an extra cost in some developments, not all.

Last edited by justNancy; 11-24-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 11-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndiehard View Post
If not where is the best??
Hard to say. Again, it depends on your budget and the type of environment you desire. Checkout the Port St Lucie and Palm Beach forums. Vero Beach is a nice place to retire too, but since this is a Fort Myers board, I can't elaborate too much. Delray Beach is also another area that caters to seniors. There are a lot more services on the east coast for people over 65. Just my observation.

Venice, which is in Sarasota County, also has some nice communities. Venice as a whole caters to an older crowd since the average age is about 67. There's also a very nice over 55 development in North Port I saw (but it was a couple of years ago) So you might want to post your question on the Sarasota forum and ask about Cypress Falls at The Woodlands. I'm in Port Charlotte and there are some over 55 communities here as well. SoFLGal can probably furnish you with a list in both Charlotte & Sarasota counties.

The Villages in Florida is not just one community, but an entire area of Florida dedicated to people over 55. Some people love it there. Come to think of it, posting on the general Florida forum might get you lots of information about different areas. As I said before, there are many to choose from with nice amenities all over the state. The nicest one I've found is called The Cascades in St Lucie West which is on the East Coast. I've never seen a clubhouse or pool that nice. However, I'm sure there are plenty of communities here that will suit your needs.

I know many people will frown upon this, but if you like living in a quiet community where there are daily activities and friendly people, you might consider buying a manufactured home. There are some very lovely mobile home parks in Florida. Some offer shares where you own your land. Again, it depends on your budget, but don't be fooled by the term "manufactured home community." It's very different from the trailer park atmosphere that is often a stereotype.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

If you want to be closer to Fort Myers, an over 55 community that has a lot of amenities, including a golf course, is Seven Lakes. It's a well established HOA, so I doubt if there are any problems with reserves. You can buy a 2/2 condo for around $75,000. It's probably one of the most convenient locations in Fort Myers if you want to be close to shopping and restaurants, but still be in a community with security.
If you are not a golfer, Seven Lakes is probably not a good buy. The condo fee is about $600 a month but it includes golf.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
I really think this is very good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Hard to say. Again, it depends on your budget and the type of environment you desire. Checkout the Port St Lucie and Palm Beach forums. Vero Beach is a nice place to retire too, but since this is a Fort Myers board, I can't elaborate too much. Delray Beach is also another area that caters to seniors. There are a lot more services on the east coast for people over 65. Just my observation.

Venice, which is in Sarasota County, also has some nice communities. Venice as a whole caters to an older crowd since the average age is about 67. There's also a very nice over 55 development in North Port I saw (but it was a couple of years ago) So you might want to post your question on the Sarasota forum and ask about Cypress Falls at The Woodlands. I'm in Port Charlotte and there are some over 55 communities here as well. SoFLGal can probably furnish you with a list in both Charlotte & Sarasota counties.

The Villages in Florida is not just one community, but an entire area of Florida dedicated to people over 55. Some people love it there. Come to think of it, posting on the general Florida forum might get you lots of information about different areas. As I said before, there are many to choose from with nice amenities all over the state. The nicest one I've found is called The Cascades in St Lucie West which is on the East Coast. I've never seen a clubhouse or pool that nice. However, I'm sure there are plenty of communities here that will suit your needs.

I know many people will frown upon this, but if you like living in a quiet community where there are daily activities and friendly people, you might consider buying a manufactured home. There are some very lovely mobile home parks in Florida. Some offer shares where you own your land. Again, it depends on your budget, but don't be fooled by the term "manufactured home community." It's very different from the trailer park atmosphere that is often a stereotype.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:33 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,614 times
We find most senior communities a little quiet for us......and we are both in our 60's.Many are very nice,but we love the "neighborhood" feel here on the cape.People going to work,kids playing outside as well as retiree's walking their dogs.A nice mix of people who all get along.....everyone is busy with their own life but friendly and helpful.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If you are not a golfer, Seven Lakes is probably not a good buy. The condo fee is about $600 a month but it includes golf.
Yikes! When I sold furniture in Fort Myers, I had several clients from that development, but they never mentioned the HOA fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
We find most senior communities a little quiet for us......and we are both in our 60's.
Yes, I agree. In 2009 I rented a condo for 6 months in an over 55 community in Vero Beach. There were 4 clubhouses, pools, tennis, golf and daily activities. The nice thing was it was very safe and well maintained. However, I felt really out of place, and I was 58. I like the quiet part, however.

In general I don't like condos because noise bothers me, but many people I know are very happy in them.

Last edited by justNancy; 11-25-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,748 times
I am interested in purchasing in Ft. Myers, FL and all the listings I see do not include HOA fees. I can afford a house but it's the monthly fees that worry me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area