Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:17 PM

42 posts, read 110,399 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

This is my first post ( I am new to the site !)

I am in the process of buying a house in the SE Cape area ( If all goes well, I will close on May 10th!! still waiting to hear back from the underwriter,etc).

Well my point in writing this thread was to see if you guys know of any cheaper wind/mitigation inspectors? The house I have a contract on has hurricane/storm shutters all throughout the house. So far my ins quotes have been extremely high (cheapest being 1200..highest 1750)..for CBC home, no pool, however it is about 30 years old.

I am only doing the inspection in hopes of lowering my quote!

Thanks for all your suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 24,701 times
Congrats on the contract! I'm in the same boat, I am in contract with a place in San Carlos Park. So far our mortgage broker has been very helpful with references, and very fair, she makes no commission off references, I shopped around. She referred me to Jim ***MOD CUT***, a General Contractor, I got a 4-point and wind mitigation for a very fair price. After looking around, he has been a very helpful contact and really is out there to help. I'll PM you his number.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 05-07-2010 at 03:12 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 07:35 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,346,162 times
I don't think those insurance quotes are that bad. I doubt you will be able to lower them much with the wind mitigation report. But keep us posted. I just had the report done for $75.00. Most were charging $150.00. It got my ins. down to 1700 for the same type of home. Unless the shutters are less than about eight years old you don't get the full reduction for them.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestions

Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 PM

964 posts, read 2,067,133 times
We just purchased a home in SE Cape Coral in a flood zone - our insurance was double that, and we aren't even on a canal! I'm curious - how much can one expect to save on insurance with a hurricane shutter install? Prices to get just the basic corrugated sheet metal look to be about $3.50 per sq. ft. We have a lot of windows on our 40 year old rancher....

And....do those plantation shutters get you any discount?

Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 PM

42 posts, read 101,207 times
your better off asking a insurance company, they will tell u everything free to save money

Old 04-20-2010, 04:19 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,346,162 times
You get a big reduction for a hip roof. The biggest shutter reduction is for those that are compliant with the Miami Dade code of 2002. You do get a reduction for any shutters, even the plantation ones. They also go into the attic to see how you roof is secured. I also have a tile roof that helped me. I got a $1700 reduction for all of the above. I am not in the flood plain but I think that will affect your flood insurance only. My flood ins is $330

On Long Island the homeowners was $1200 and flood $700 but the house was worth double.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions and friendliness

I have an inspector going out tomorrow for wind mitigation.

LUCKILY the house I am in contract for ( crossing my fingers I get it !) already has storm shutters on all of the windows and a weird garage looking door that comes down over the front door and one in the lanai to cover a sliding glass door.

Also on the appraisal or inspection I believe they said it was a hip roof, so I'm glad to hear that I could possibly get a discount for that too. One ins company said I'm in a flood area but it wasn't severe and suggested I get flood ins, I am maybe considering it.

So far cheapest quote(without personal property) I've received was 1200.
35 year old CBC Ranch style home in the SE cape. Sure hope it goes down after this W/M inspection .

Old 04-20-2010, 10:14 PM

964 posts, read 2,067,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
You get a big reduction for a hip roof. The biggest shutter reduction is for those that are compliant with the Miami Dade code of 2002. You do get a reduction for any shutters, even the plantation ones. They also go into the attic to see how you roof is secured. I also have a tile roof that helped me. I got a $1700 reduction for all of the above. I am not in the flood plain but I think that will affect your flood insurance only. My flood ins is $330

On Long Island the homeowners was $1200 and flood $700 but the house was worth double.
Thanks, Riko - I've been wondering about those plantation shutters, as I think they're very attractive. No hip roof here.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 AM

325 posts, read 1,025,443 times
I am a wind mitigation Inspector, the new forms through Citizens came out a week ago, make sure the inspector is using that form or it could be kicked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area