Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM

159 posts, read 346,246 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from my current house in NJ down to the Fort Myers, FL area very soon... I will spend some amount of the year in NJ at my house here and then some part of the year in Fort Myers, FL. I will at first be looking to rent a small house or condo around the Fort Myers, FL area and then maybe a few years down the road buy a house there.

What I need to know is how to go about getting a Flordia drivers license, how to declare FL residency, etc. etc...
and how long this process takes?

what documentation would I need to bring me with down there to do this stuff?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 PM

357 posts, read 783,767 times
why would you want a fla driver's liscence if you're not here permantely? Tehncially fla would have to be your permanent home.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:01 PM

616 posts, read 1,565,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
why would you want a fla driver's liscence if you're not here permantely? Tehncially fla would have to be your permanent home.
If you live here 6 months and 1 day - you are a Floridian. If your car is here for 3 months or more - you will be required to have Florida car insurance.

How to get your license:
Florida Drivers License - Out of State Drivers

Car registration:

Car Registration Florida

Plan on about 400.00 for initial transferring of plates and driver's license.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 AM

is it like NJ where you just pay NJ registration for your car every year?

or do you need to pay registration in FL based on the VALUE of your car... my car is valued at about $15k.. so what do you think it's going to cost me to register my car there?

also, does flordia require any inspection, etc.? I was going to fly down in early Jan. get my license changed, register my car, get FL license plates, then fly back up to NJ and put the Fl plates on my car... then drive the car down to Flordia about 2 months later... so do I need to get inspection or anything in the meantime?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:45 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
You will find much of wht you are asking at the Florida DMV site.
Florida does not have inspections.......yet. Also, the registration is not based on value like some states, it is by weight.

A friend of mine did what you want to do and had no problem. Actually, he registered his car in Florida, but not until later did he get his license. You will need Florida insurance. You can only have one state license, and it is based on your residency. you have to have a residency in Florida to be a Florida resident.

You first need to decide what state you are going to be a legal resident, and you have to live there at least 6 months in that state.

Frank

Old 12-09-2010, 04:29 PM

518 posts, read 1,231,966 times
You will have to have your car here in Florida to prove vin matches the car you are going to register for plates.Also need a Florida dr to go with it. Along with Florida insurance to match the car. My vw was about 460.00 and it stays here all of the time. The only reason to do this is to get homesteaded on a house you might own here for tax reasons. The cost and trouble to do it is pricey up front but worth it if you own a home here in the long run.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:29 PM

when you register your car in flordia are you saying they actually need to walk outside and look at your actual car and vin in order to register it?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:48 PM

518 posts, read 1,231,966 times
Yes

Old 12-12-2010, 05:58 PM

ummmm I never heard of this one? infact I know numerous people in flordia and they never said anything about having to have a flordia dmv person come walking outside to see the actual VIN on the car... add to this that flordia does NOT have auto inspection.. so I'm confused??

Old 12-12-2010, 06:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,351,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthrust View Post
ummmm I never heard of this one? infact I know numerous people in flordia and they never said anything about having to have a flordia dmv person come walking outside to see the actual VIN on the car... add to this that flordia does NOT have auto inspection.. so I'm confused??
Well they do and it is required, most states have this they must physically Verify the VIN. you are not going to be able to get around it.
They checked mine when I brought my vehicle to this state.
Also if you have a vehicle that weighs less than 5000 pounds you will be in for a surprise, your first years registration will set you back about $450.00.
Pretty expensive to bring a car to this state. You may want to think twice about it if your not going to be here full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area