Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 PM

37 posts, read 86,283 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Wisconsin. I am an entrepreneur at heart I currently own a business in Wisconsin. I have never been to Cape Coral but am familiar with northern Florida. My question is is there enough money in the Cape Coral area to support a service business? For example (Plumber), What about retail business? For example (Food Truck) (Swim Wear Shop). I am very aware of the problems south Florida has been experiencing but, I see potential. Do I have a chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,002,084 times
In a few years, maybe. Right now? Not so much. A food truck and plumbing biz rely on construction and there's not much going on here yet. Swim shop? There are too many as it is!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
It's like anywhere else. You have to see a need that is not, or barely, fulfilled and fill that need. No one can do that research for you.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It's like anywhere else. You have to see a need that is not, or barely, fulfilled and fill that need. No one can do that research for you.
You said it so much better than I did!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Homes View Post
You said it so much better than I did!
Not really. I just own a business and know what it is like. But thank you. That is very kind.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 PM

37 posts, read 86,283 times
I understand are there popular shopping centers in the area that are busy with foot traffic. What are the most popular areas for shopping? I have read on here for years about all the bad about the Florida economy. I just came back from daytona beach/new smyrna beach/port orange area and I see plenty of business opportunity. I saw a frozen yogurt shop ran by a grandma doing big business. I went to a sandwich shop/deli selling sandwiches. I dont know I dont want to be scared to come to Florida because the economy. The main thing I need to know is there families out there still spending money on a regular basis going out to eat. Or people in the area spending money on entertainment/shopping?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 PM

I'd suggest checking with the Chamber of Commerce where you can get hard numbers. The small business administration or SCORE could also assist. There are plenty of busy shopping plazas, plenty of stores opening businesses and plenty closing and/or filing bankruptcy. Answers on a forum are not going to get you the serious facts that you need. There are far too many businesses, shopping centers and malls to list.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:48 AM

616 posts, read 1,565,599 times
First come visit the area. Swfl is a different ballgame when you're comparing it to the east coast.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:32 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,340,109 times
The restaurants are busy this time of year. Low end restaurants seem to do okay all year. I would think there would be some demand for home improvement with the record sales of homes. The problem is there is so much competition with new construction dead. If you could think of an internet business that sells nationwide, that would be a way to go.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:45 AM

The other thing to think about, is although things seem busy now, and businesses (restaurants, etc) ARE busy....right after Easter things slow down tremendously. Some businesses in my area even close completely for the summer. So, the 4 months of "busy" have to be busy enough to carry you through the rest of the year in some cases.

I own my own business too, and we're a General Contractor. When building went down the tubes 4 years ago, we had to reorganize and go to "plan B". We had to do something that no one else was doing at the time. And here we are, still alive and kicking today, still waiting for new construction to pick back up again.

Starting a new business is always a risk. If you do your research, study the area, and find a niche, you'll probably be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area