Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:40 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,529,417 times

Advertisements

I don't know why someone would lie about having chinese drywall because then they really can't sell it without disclosing and it is pretty worthless. If they have a mortgage they are still liable (unless something changed).

I remember when people were just learning about chinese drywall I had a friend looking for a house and she said that in a few empty homes they had a bag of trash left in the kitchen. I told her that she should cross those off her list because it was probably there to cover the drywall smell.

I haven't heard and wondering if they still have to disclose even if they had new drywall put in because I have seen a few houses that have got rehabbed including drywall then new people move in. I would think that they would have to disclose but not every one is honest and every one considering should have it the house tested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 AM

646 posts, read 1,641,855 times
I'm was just playing devils advocate. A lot of homeowners walk away from their home with defective drywall... Not sure how much help a tax exemption would be.

Edited: I put a call in for the lady at the property assessor's office to call me back. I guess the paperwork has to be in by 4/30/11, but it says nothing about a sample of drywall or inspection. I'll post answers as I get them. I'm sure a Monday morning isn't the best day to call, but I will stay on it.

Last edited by CCRESI; 04-11-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 PM

244 posts, read 487,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I don't know why someone would lie about having chinese drywall because then they really can't sell it without disclosing and it is pretty worthless. If they have a mortgage they are still liable (unless something changed).

I remember when people were just learning about chinese drywall I had a friend looking for a house and she said that in a few empty homes they had a bag of trash left in the kitchen. I told her that she should cross those off her list because it was probably there to cover the drywall smell.

I haven't heard and wondering if they still have to disclose even if they had new drywall put in because I have seen a few houses that have got rehabbed including drywall then new people move in. I would think that they would have to disclose but not every one is honest and every one considering should have it the house tested.
Unfortunatly - they should disclose but some people just don't. I personally would not purchase a Chinese Drywall home - not even a rehabed one.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monikac21 View Post
Unfortunatly - they should disclose but some people just don't. I personally would not purchase a Chinese Drywall home - not even a rehabed one.
Me either! I was wondering on how hard it would be to tell if they changed out the drywall so some/most? of the signs would be gone. I guess if they said it had new AC and the house wasn't that old it may be a red flag but then I was hearing about the owners pulling them out before foreclose.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 PM

8 posts, read 17,863 times
We're Chinese drywall victims. We had our property taxes reduced to 50% in 2009. We were asked for documentation to prove what we requested. Besides the Chinese drywall inspection report we had the insurance claim, emails to our lender requesting forbearance, a report from CSPS etc. Reduction on our taxes was the only thing we were granted from CDW situation. After all denies, we stopped paying the mortgage and left our house. Our health situation was the indicator that to continue to be alive we had to choose in between waiting for help that never came or get out and start again.
We stopped paying our mortgage and six month later our lender sued us. Almost two years later, we sold our home -in a short sale deal- to an investor and the builder fixed the house for him. Was "very sad" to see our lives being put upside down, losing everything and at the end, watch an investor get the rewards ...some people would say: good for him, this is America!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:35 PM

646 posts, read 1,641,855 times
Explorer- I'm very sorry you were affected by CDW. Has your health improved since leaving the home?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 AM

8 posts, read 17,863 times
Thank you!
I think we're ok however, we got some kind of skin stuff that does not want to go away. We've being going to doctors more than eight months already and they can't figure out what is causing it. I believe is simply weak immune system due to CDW.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Explorer View Post
We're Chinese drywall victims. We had our property taxes reduced to 50% in 2009. We were asked for documentation to prove what we requested. Besides the Chinese drywall inspection report we had the insurance claim, emails to our lender requesting forbearance, a report from CSPS etc. Reduction on our taxes was the only thing we were granted from CDW situation. After all denies, we stopped paying the mortgage and left our house. Our health situation was the indicator that to continue to be alive we had to choose in between waiting for help that never came or get out and start again.
We stopped paying our mortgage and six month later our lender sued us. Almost two years later, we sold our home -in a short sale deal- to an investor and the builder fixed the house for him. Was "very sad" to see our lives being put upside down, losing everything and at the end, watch an investor get the rewards ...some people would say: good for him, this is America!
I am so sorry that you got stuck with CD but IMO you really made the right decision. Health is so much more important than a house and if I had to make that decision I would make the same one.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,564 times
Very sorry to hear this. Scary stuff. Did you look at some of the recent cases? Was wondering if you didn't have a case. I wonder if the Chinese corp will actually end up paying for damages. The greed is amazing. All the way up the food chain.

The same mentality on other foreclosures have caused homes to sit for 3+ yrs cause "they" are too greedy to actually have sold it at a "real" price. So it sits there rotting while the bank takes multiple rights offs and people go homeless.

All these people that were told banks don't want to foreclose are missing some major information there. Those derivatives made sure foreclosures were gonna happen so all those payouts stopped.

Remember all those congressmen and govt agencies have all their investments tied up in that giant still not completely popped mess. That's the "too big to fail" for you. Yes everybody was all too eager to tap into that pipeline. Truly sorry, hope you have no lasting effects. I am amazed at how people are treated for a buck.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 835 times
Default Found my Apt in on this map... Now What?

Hi Everyone,

My2-3yr old child and I have been continuously sick for a year... countless doctor apts followed by countless antibiotics, then tubes for my child's ears... Having been absolutely fed up and thinking everything through I went and got a mold test. Very Elevated - Uninhabitable Mold - Aspergillus/Penicillium.

Being a single struggling parent, there was nothing I could do immediately but our lease was to be up in 3 months so I was saving for a move. Then the unusually cold weather came and our heater broke. With the LL unresponsive I was forced to move my daughter and myself in with my parents. After 3 weeks, when I go into the apt now, I almost immediately get an earache. 2 plus hours was causing my chest to hurt, only amping up my concerns.

Last week I ran into a neighbor from a building that was built later on in the complex and when I told him of my issues he asked me if I was aware of the building's history. Apparently, the builders ran out of money and left my building empty with no air for 5 years. On top of that this gentleman said he thought the building had Chinese Drywall.

Which lead me to this thread, and there it is, my complex on the chinses drywall map.

What can I do? What should I do? I canceled my last rent check for Dec. and next month, being my last month is paid for already but I want that money back as that will be 2 months of not actually living there.

The last night my daughter spent in the freezing apt my daughter got an inner ear infection that drained dark green. I've never seen anything like it in all my life. I'm really upset but also feeling like I lack the time needed to pursue anything. However, the stack of medical bills slowly going into collections is building up all around me and it was likely the apt making my child and I sick. Would I have needed the 10K tubes in my daughter's ears had we not lived there? Would she have been on prescription drugs literally almost every month, surely every other month?

The landlord has multiple lawsuits it seems but has seemingly endless money making wonder if its worth the fight.

Help! Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
[url=http://www.leepa.org/ChineseDrywall/DrywallInformation.aspx]Lee County Property Line[/url]

[url=http://www.doh.state.fl.us/environment/community/indoor-air/inspections.html]Inspection steps for homeowners[/url]

[url=http://www.cpsc.gov/info/drywall/index.html]U.S. CPSC: Drywall Information Center[/url]

[URL="http://www.leepa.org/ChineseDrywall/ChineseDrywallPicsForWeb.pdf"]http://www.leepa.org/ChineseDrywall/ChineseDrywallPicsForWeb.pdf[/URL]

[URL="http://www.leepa.org/ChineseDrywall/LegalCase.pdf"]http://www.leepa.org/ChineseDrywall/LegalCase.pdf[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area