Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 05:24 AM

36 posts, read 262,333 times

Advertisements

You can use well water to fill your pool and or top off , don't need any filter thats what the chemicals are for. BTW, if your pool is losing more than 1/4 per day or 2 inches a week you have a leak , shut off skimmer and let water go down for one week to find out how much water your losing or shut pool pump off get some red kool aid squirt around skimmer if red dye travels into where skimmer meets pool shell get pool putty and your done ... A water tight pool will lose about 1/2 a month ... Do it now before it starts raining everyday ...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 AM

693 posts, read 2,012,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuban View Post
You can use well water to fill your pool and or top off , don't need any filter thats what the chemicals are for. BTW, if your pool is losing more than 1/4 per day or 2 inches a week you have a leak , shut off skimmer and let water go down for one week to find out how much water your losing or shut pool pump off get some red kool aid squirt around skimmer if red dye travels into where skimmer meets pool shell get pool putty and your done ... A water tight pool will lose about 1/2 a month ... Do it now before it starts raining everyday ...
A water tight pool with lose a lot more than a 1/2 inch a month. An inch or so a week is not abnormal.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM

the guide line is 1/4 a day , set by the pool industry take it for what its worth ... but every pool is and reacts different to conditions

Old 05-24-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
the guide line is 1/4 a day , set by the pool industry take it for what its worth ... but every pool is and reacts different to conditions
You make no sense. In one sentence you say 1/4 inch a day, the next it's a 1/2 inch a month, the next is 1/4 inch a day again. You will lose at least an inch a week due to evaporation and people getting in and out of your pool, it's that simple.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
You make no sense. In one sentence you say 1/4 inch a day, the next it's a 1/2 inch a month, the next is 1/4 inch a day again. You will lose at least an inch a week due to evaporation and people getting in and out of your pool, it's that simple.
Read, Read & Read again , You can not check for leaks and or evaporation with people using pool . Your pool might lose an inch a week but your neighbors will be different, the same apply's for chemicals . Again , the 1/4 inch allowance per day was set by the pool industry, the same folks that came up with Diamond Brite pool finish that makes the pool look dirty compared to mar cite , Reason - Customers complaining about pool always looking dirty with Mar cite which is white , Thats why pool industry came up with Diamond brite and Pebble Tec

BTW, You can use well water to fill and maintain your pool , there are plenty of homes in Cape Coral that use well water . You can also use City water - but do not use dual water in Cape Coral ... I would not spend a dime getting water delivered , it's a waste of $$$

Remember there's lots of people doing pools in SWFla from up north that say they have 20 - 30 years exp ... Watch out !!!

Last edited by cuban; 05-25-2012 at 06:54 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Read, Read & Read again , You can not check for leaks and or evaporation with people using pool . Your pool might lose an inch a week but your neighbors will be different, the same apply's for chemicals . Again , the 1/4 inch allowance per day was set by the pool industry, the same folks that came up with Diamond Brite pool finish that makes the pool look dirty compared to mar cite , Reason - Customers complaining about pool always looking dirty with Mar cite which is white , Thats why pool industry came up with Diamond brite and Pebble Tec

BTW, You can use well water to fill and maintain your pool , there are plenty of homes in Cape Coral that use well water . You can also use City water - but do not use dual water in Cape Coral ... I would not spend a dime getting water delivered , it's a waste of $$$

Remember there's lots of people doing pools in SWFla from up north that say they have 20 - 30 years exp ... Watch out !!!
Listen guy, this is what you said, "if your pool is losing more than 1/4 per day or 2 inches a week you have a leak", followed later in the same post by "A water tight pool will lose about 1/2 a month", in another post on the same day you said "the guide line is 1/4 a day." I didn't make this up, that is what you said. I read, read, and read again, no matter how many times I or anyone read it, it doesn't make sense.

You can use well water to fill your pool, but remember the average pool is about 20,000 gallons, if you want to risk running out of water for a couple of days, knock yourself out. I for one wouldn't want to risk running my well dry, especially in the winter when it goes for weeks on end without rain. Even if you have city water, you can have water delivered for less than a $100 more than it would cost on your water bill and your pool will be filled in an hour. With your hose no matter your method, (wells take longer) it will take at least a few days. This is knowledge I have gained over 30 years of filling pools in SW Florida both with city and well water.

And remember, the initial question was would it be worth fixing a well pump to fill a pool. And that answer is a resounding no.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Listen guy, this is what you said, "if your pool is losing more than 1/4 per day or 2 inches a week you have a leak", followed later in the same post by "A water tight pool will lose about 1/2 a month", in another post on the same day you said "the guide line is 1/4 a day." I didn't make this up, that is what you said. I read, read, and read again, no matter how many times I or anyone read it, it doesn't make sense.

You can use well water to fill your pool, but remember the average pool is about 20,000 gallons, if you want to risk running out of water for a couple of days, knock yourself out. I for one wouldn't want to risk running my well dry, especially in the winter when it goes for weeks on end without rain. Even if you have city water, you can have water delivered for less than a $100 more than it would cost on your water bill and your pool will be filled in an hour. With your hose no matter your method, (wells take longer) it will take at least a few days. This is knowledge I have gained over 30 years of filling pools in SW Florida both with city and well water.

And remember, the initial question was would it be worth fixing a well pump to fill a pool. And that answer is a resounding no.
Here's what I said "BTW, if your pool is losing more than 1/4 per day or 2 inches a week you have a leak ," Keyword: " MORE " ... Your average pool is 20,000 gals. Ha !!! your off by 10 to 12,000 gals . Initial question : would it be worth fixing a well pump to fill a pool- that answer is a resounding no ...
That depends :
1. Any other uses than just for pool .
2. Is this a DIY project
3. Good price on Pump and Labor etc...
Have a nice day Dude !!!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Here's what I said "BTW, if your pool is losing more than 1/4 per day or 2 inches a week you have a leak ," Keyword: " MORE " ... Your average pool is 20,000 gals. Ha !!! your off by 10 to 12,000 gals . Initial question : would it be worth fixing a well pump to fill a pool- that answer is a resounding no ...
That depends :
1. Any other uses than just for pool .
2. Is this a DIY project
3. Good price on Pump and Labor etc...
Have a nice day Dude !!!

You failed to address the statement you made about 1/2 a month.

I'm off by 10 -12,000 gallons? Are you insane? You either have a pool that has 8,000 gallons in it and are swimming in a fish tank or a pool that has 32,000 gallons in which case you are swimming in an Olympic size pool. A cubic foot of water holds 7.5 gallons of water. If you have a 15x30 ft pool that averages 5 feet deep, you have 2250 cubic feet, multiply that by 7.5 and you get 16,875 gallons.

If they need a new well pump, the pump is about $400 itself. $400 in a water bill would be something like 40,000 gallons. If it as DIY there is no way of knowing until after you switch the pump if it is dry or not. It's not worth it, dude!!!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
You failed to address the statement you made about 1/2 a month.

I'm off by 10 -12,000 gallons? Are you insane? You either have a pool that has 8,000 gallons in it and are swimming in a fish tank or a pool that has 32,000 gallons in which case you are swimming in an Olympic size pool. A cubic foot of water holds 7.5 gallons of water. If you have a 15x30 ft pool that averages 5 feet deep, you have 2250 cubic feet, multiply that by 7.5 and you get 16,875 gallons.

If they need a new well pump, the pump is about $400 itself. $400 in a water bill would be something like 40,000 gallons. If it as DIY there is no way of knowing until after you switch the pump if it is dry or not. It's not worth it, dude!!!
I'm done with you ... DUDE , Your a Legend in your own mind ...

Old 05-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I'm done with you ... DUDE , Your a Legend in your own mind ...
Way to go dude. Getting proven wrong time and time again gets old doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area