Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,137 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I have been reading through the Ft Myers/Cape Coral threads hoping to get an idea of the area. I have spent a good deal of time researching crime stats and visiting Ft Myers websites. I think I have a good handle on what to expect from the area... I would like to ask a few more questions as they specifically apply to me. Any help would be appreciated.

First, a bit about me: I am attending FGCU beginning Spring '12 and I would like to be within 20 minutes of campus. I'm married with no children and none expected in the future. My wife and I are in our late 20's, both college educated and active socially and physically. We are originally from the northeast (I know you've never heard that before!) and have lived in Florida for about 5 years. I would classify us as "preppy" but no where near approaching "snotty" . Very outgoing and friendly (a reason for leaving the northeast). Both of our families have had vacation homes in southwest Florida for years, but we have no experience with the Ft Myers area beside picking people up at the airport . So, we are familiar with Florida and its inhabitants as well as culture (or lack there of some might say.) Luckily, employment is not an issue. We are looking to rent either a house with acreage or an apartment in the $700-800 range plus utilities.

After reading many of these threads this is what I have learned:

DO NOT live in/near:
Dean Park
Dunbar
Lehigh Acres
North Forth Myers
East Fort Myers

OK Places to live:
Any place south of Colonial Drive
McGreggor
Estero
Sanibel
Whiskey Creek
Cape Coral

Our concerns would be crime and violence, as well as staying out of low income areas. Schools do not matter as we have no children. We are trying to find an area to settle in which has quality, well educated people as well as entertainment for late 20 somethings. (restaurants, museums, concerts/shows, farmers markets etc.)

Now, finally, on to some questions!

A) Am I correct in assuming that South Fort Myers, Estero, and Naples are the nicer places to live in that area? Even though they may be nice, are there places to stay away from in those specific areas?

B) I understand that the area is well populated, but are there any areas (possibly outskirts of town) that may have homes with around 3-5 acres suitable for horses? Does that enviornment exist in the area at all?

C) I have visited the University and the area seems nice. Since I'm not 18-22 anymore I don't want or need "the college experience" again. Is the University area an overly student/party/music at 1am environment? (I feel old typing that!)

Cii) What is the local perception of FGCU?

D) I have checked the market for apt and home rentals, but looks and advertisements can be deceiving. In the areas that are deemed "nice" and "safe" are there opportunities to rent in the $700-800 range?

E) What is there to do in the area for late 20 somethings? Both in terms of activities and nightlife (not into nightclubs and all that goes with it) ???

I absolutely appreciate anyone's thoughts and responses, a big THANK YOU ahead of time. I will be in the area over the next few weeks and could really use a head start based on the info you supply.

-MC

PS- I noticed many threads here devolve into a argument over how "ghetto" Ft "Misery" is...PLEASE, I am not looking to expound on that here! Lets have an honest, open, adult conversation here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkClear View Post

Our concerns would be crime and violence, as well as staying out of low income areas. Schools do not matter as we have no children. We are trying to find an area to settle in which has quality, well educated people as well as entertainment for late 20 somethings. (restaurants, museums, concerts/shows, farmers markets etc.)

A) Am I correct in assuming that South Fort Myers, Estero, and Naples are the nicer places to live in that area? Even though they may be nice, are there places to stay away from in those specific areas? See below.

B) I understand that the area is well populated, but are there any areas (possibly outskirts of town) that may have homes with around 3-5 acres suitable for horses? Does that enviornment exist in the area at all? Parts of Naples but it would be a drive. You could get lucky and find a rental with what you want near the school but highly doubtful.

C) I have visited the University and the area seems nice. Since I'm not 18-22 anymore I don't want or need "the college experience" again. Is the University area an overly student/party/music at 1am environment? (I feel old typing that!) Not really. I actually opened the Publix near there and found the students to be quite nice.

Cii) What is the local perception of FGCU? I think most retirees don't think about it, period. I lived around there when it first opened and wasn't accredited. I think that may have stuck to it for awhile. I don't know. This Northeasterner is use to schools that are well-established and now lives in a college town. I know in the beginning I perceived the students to be attending mostly due to its location. My guess is that now that the school has been opened for awhile it surely must be offering specific programs that attract students?

D) I have checked the market for apt and home rentals, but looks and advertisements can be deceiving. In the areas that are deemed "nice" and "safe" are there opportunities to rent in the $700-800 range? My guess is you will pay more for a good location, especially for a home.

E) What is there to do in the area for late 20 somethings? Both in terms of activities and nightlife (not into nightclubs and all that goes with it) ???

I moved to the area when I was 34. My favorite places were Sanibel, the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge, Everglades City, the inner core of Naples and Fort Myers. But I love history, quirky shops, that sort of thing. Everyone is different. I thought that the area was geared more towards retirees and didn't have a lot of cultural offerings. There's far more where I live now. But there are things to do.

I absolutely appreciate anyone's thoughts and responses, a big THANK YOU ahead of time. I will be in the area over the next few weeks and could really use a head start based on the info you supply.

-MC

PS- I noticed many threads here devolve into a argument over how "ghetto" Ft "Misery" is...PLEASE, I am not looking to expound on that here! Lets have an honest, open, adult conversation here.
Quote:
DO NOT live in/near:
Dean Park
Dunbar
Lehigh Acres
North Forth Myers
East Fort Myers
Dean Park is okay if you don't mind an area that is attempting to gentrify that is surrounded by areas that haven't.

Also, I would advise staying out of Pine Manor and Harlem Heights.

Quote:
OK Places to live:
McGreggor
Estero
Sanibel
Whiskey Creek
Cape Coral
I don't go for the "any place south of Colonial" philosophy. It's often made by people that don't know the area very well or the occasional person with an agenda.

Closest to FGCU is San Carlos Park and Estero. The latter is almost always nicer. SCP is spotty; good areas interspersed with fair to awful.

If I were in your shoes I'd strongly consider Estero.

I hope this helps. It was slow going. I have an "I" on my keyboard that is sticking. Fairly new computer and it is quite maddening.

I consider the Fort Myers-Naples area to be southwest Florida but that is probably just my opinion. Where do you live?

Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,137 times
Thanks for a quick reply! Currently living in a nice Orlando suburb, but am used to being in Punta Gorda and Sarasota (as an outsider I guess I consider that SWFL )

Truth be told...we are a little nervous of the Ft Myers area after reading some threads here and talking to just a few people when I was in Punta Gorda last spring. Thinking that maybe FGCU may not be the place to spend 2 years of grad school. As a young couple I feel it is in our best interest to do our due diligence on the area, but visiting for a few days next month promises to be an incomplete picture at best.

I see that San Carlos Park is across from the university, if it has bad areas that worries me a little. What areas of SCP are "nicer"? It looks like a small area, so the nice parts must not be far from the "awful" areas.

From what my wife has said, Estero is a more expensive area- maybe not conducive to returning to school on a budget. Is that true or just incorrect perception?

Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I like the Three Oaks area of SCP but yes, it is near the other areas. As I said, it's spotty. It's not the ghetto, by any means, but you could easily live next to iffy neighbors...or not. And outward appearances don't always tell the story.

When I first moved to Florida I lived in Orlando and loved it. That was a long time ago, though. I didn't like Fort Myers half as much. I like Sarasota and Punta Gorda, too. But, as I said, Naples, Estero and Sanibel are nice areas.

Personally, I would worry about your education. If they are offering what you need then go there. If you are going there just to stay in Florida, bad idea. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I have been reading through the Ft Myers/Cape Coral threads hoping to get an idea of the area. I have spent a good deal of time researching crime stats and visiting Ft Myers websites. I think I have a good handle on what to expect from the area... I would like to ask a few more questions as they specifically apply to me. Any help would be appreciated.

First, a bit about me: I am attending FGCU beginning Spring '12 and I would like to be within 20 minutes of campus. I'm married with no children and none expected in the future. My wife and I are in our late 20's, both college educated and active socially and physically. We are originally from the northeast (I know you've never heard that before!) and have lived in Florida for about 5 years. I would classify us as "preppy" but no where near approaching "snotty" . Very outgoing and friendly (a reason for leaving the northeast). Both of our families have had vacation homes in southwest Florida for years, but we have no experience with the Ft Myers area beside picking people up at the airport . So, we are familiar with Florida and its inhabitants as well as culture (or lack there of some might say.) Luckily, employment is not an issue. We are looking to rent either a house with acreage or an apartment in the $700-800 range plus utilities.

After reading many of these threads this is what I have learned:

DO NOT live in/near:
Dean Park
Dunbar
Lehigh Acres
North Forth Myers
East Fort Myers

OK Places to live:
McGreggor
Estero
Sanibel
Whiskey Creek
Cape Coral

A) Am I correct in assuming that South Fort Myers, Estero, and Naples are the nicer places to live in that area? Even though they may be nice, are there places to stay away from in those specific areas?

B) I understand that the area is well populated, but are there any areas (possibly outskirts of town) that may have homes with around 3-5 acres suitable for horses? Does that enviornment exist in the area at all?

C) I have visited the University and the area seems nice. Since I'm not 18-22 anymore I don't want or need "the college experience" again. Is the University area an overly student/party/music at 1am environment? (I feel old typing that!)

Cii) What is the local perception of FGCU?

D) I have checked the market for apt and home rentals, but looks and advertisements can be deceiving. In the areas that are deemed "nice" and "safe" are there opportunities to rent in the $700-800 range?

-MC

Quote:
Thanks for a quick reply! Currently living in a nice Orlando suburb, but am used to being in Punta Gorda and Sarasota (as an outsider I guess I consider that SWFL )

Truth be told...we are a little nervous of the Ft Myers area after reading some threads here and talking to just a few people when I was in Punta Gorda last spring. Thinking that maybe FGCU may not be the place to spend 2 years of grad school. As a young couple I feel it is in our best interest to do our due diligence on the area, but visiting for a few days next month promises to be an incomplete picture at best.

I see that San Carlos Park is across from the university, if it has bad areas that worries me a little. What areas of SCP are "nicer"? It looks like a small area, so the nice parts must not be far from the "awful" areas.

From what my wife has said, Estero is a more expensive area- maybe not conducive to returning to school on a budget. Is that true or just incorrect perception?

Old 10-17-2011, 04:31 PM

31 posts, read 110,104 times
Quote:

Cii) What is the local perception of FGCU
I've a few friends who've attended it. It seems fairly quiet and nondescript. Never heard anyone complain about it, but then I've never heard anyone say much about it at all. I don't think you have much to worry about.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,935 times
Double check the accreditation for your program. The education dept. is not accredited - but I think the business program is.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:33 PM

101 posts, read 272,350 times
Default First off, congrats and good luck with grad school!

We moved here a year ago and have been finding our way and there are good and bad areas but I really don't find it as horrible as a lot of people post- it is what you make of it. We just purchased a home off mcgregor and what drove us to this area was that we could bike to the store, downtown for all the things they have going on there , the farmers markets downtown and also at the alliance for the arts on saturday, hubby and I enjoy driving to the beach early evenings and hanging out listening to the local bands at nervous nellies, I enjoy the different outdoor activities that seem to be happening every weekend. Last weekend I stopped by the tropical fruit sale at Terry Park and talked to a lot of interesting people. This weekend is the butterfly garden sale at manatee park. We have checked out alot of great churches in the area- I find most people to be very friendly almost everywhere we go. Even in Tice. (We are doing an outreach in November to feed the needy there if anyone wants to come along to help make it a better place)

You asked about home rentals- check realtor . com and zillow, they will have rentals listed for homes and townhouses but as mentioned before, a nice safe home will probably cost more than $800/month but you should be able to get a decent condo for that price.

As long as you don't travel the main roads like colonial or gladious during rush hour time you can make FGCU in decent time from almost anywhere- you will learn shortcuts and what roads to avoid but it will take a bit.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me - I will give you my opinion from a newbie's perspective.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:04 AM

Location: Long Island, NY & The Somerset at the Plantation, Fort Myers, FL
95 posts, read 214,002 times
Mark,

As people have said, South Fort Myers, Estero, are safe choices, as I've learned from the short time I've been here. They're both rather close to one another. My friends in Estero come and check my house weekly when I'm away on business and it takes them 10 minutes from their home in the Grandezza (Estero). I'm in the Gateway/Arborwood section, South Fort Myers, and all the communities around seem very nice, a lot of places to eat, you're rignt by the Gulf Coast Town Center mall which is great for things to do, and the new Boston Red Sox stadium is being built. Being a NY Yankees fan, I'm totally jealous. There is also a nature preserve adjacent to my community.
You'll see a vast amount of often differing opinions about Fort Myers, and to a large extent, it's based on where people live, because it is such a large, sprawling city limit. There are bad sections as you correctly noted, but there are very nice sections as well. The same can be said about all the towns lining the Fort Myers/Naples corridor. Bottom line is you have to look for yourself, talk to the neighbors, read some of the posts here (Taken with a huge grain of salt). There has been some attempt by the City of Fort Myers to upgrade it's particular sections, with mixed results. I'm charged a surtax (CDD fee) for my area, so obviously, the public maintenance would be better then other sections. If you're getting confused, don't be concerned about it. It is quite confusing the differing opinions and most of it is personal experiences, perceptions (Both real and imagined), the growth of the area in general, and the vast differences in the different sections themselves. My guess is that the City of Fort Myers is trying to avoid some sections from succeeding from the city proper. I have don't evidence of that, just a gut feeling. Obviously, the nicer the area, the pricier the housing, and that's true, no matter where you are looking.

Good luck in your search! I'm confident you'll find exactly what you're looking for. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Last edited by prairie360; 10-19-2011 at 06:15 AM..

Old 10-24-2011, 08:54 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Current Orlando resident but originally from Fort Myers with lots of family in the area so I return to Fort Myers often. If I were you I would just try to find something reasonably priced around the university or airport areas as those are all very safe but also provide the most convenience to the campus. Gulf Coast Town Center is also nearby, alot of students and young people go there for a good time on the weekends. Other areas I would consider are near the Edison State College campus. Estero and South Lee County are all nice however I don't know if the prices there have come down much. That area used to be quite pricey (relatively speaking) for the area. Fort Myers is not as bad as people make it out to be. There are good and bad areas but my biggest concern living down there is the HEAT! It gets oppressive inland and stays hot much longer than here in Orlando. Other than that if you've made it up here, you'll be fine in Fort Myers.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 AM

646 posts, read 1,642,560 times
Ideally, I would look for a place that is not in any threat of foreclosing in the future. Moving is expensive, you don't want to do it twice.
(Try and find a place that was bought with Cash previously.)

Of course you want a good area to live, I would check out :
Crime Map & Reports

Go for the Condo vs. house with acreage. Less upkeep=more money in your pockets for savings!!

Good luck to you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area