Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 6,275 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area having moved here from Oregon to start a new job. I am single, early 50's, with two kids in college and am trying to decide between buying a house on an acre or so, or opting for a condo/townhouse type lifestyle. I've read a lot of posts about areas to avoid in Lee and Collier counties, however not very much relating to areas that offer a nice "sense of place". I'm currently in the summerlin/cypress lake area which is ok but feels a little bit faceless with all of the 6 to 8 lane roads, shopping malls, and big stores.

Ideally I would love to find a neighborhood or community with a slightly smaller feel. For example, somewhere that offers a local butcher shop, bakery, library, barber, etc and is less crowded. I am not trying to be negative and I've been told that this is high season and more crowded than the rest of the year. I certainly don't mean to insult or offend anyone living here because most folks I've met are really nice (unless they are behind the wheel of a car it seems, wow!).

Can anyone recommend some areas to explore? I would like to keep rent under $2K per month and not exceed $325K if I buy. Does such an area exist within a 30-40 minute drive from Page Field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 08:50 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Try Punta Gorda. It may be what you are looking for. It has a small downtown with locally operated stores. The city runs community type activities and events the whole year.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,784 times
What ever you do stay out of Cape Coma.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:45 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 239brad View Post
I'm currently in the summerlin/cypress lake area which is ok but feels a little bit faceless with all of the 6 to 8 lane roads, shopping malls, and big stores.

Ideally I would love to find a neighborhood or community with a slightly smaller feel. For example, somewhere that offers a local butcher shop, bakery, library, barber, etc and is less crowded. I am not trying to be negative and I've been told that this is high season and more crowded than the rest of the year.

Can anyone recommend some areas to explore? I would like to keep rent under $2K per month and not exceed $325K if I buy. Does such an area exist within a 30-40 minute drive from Page Field?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Try Punta Gorda. It may be what you are looking for. It has a small downtown with locally operated stores. The city runs community type activities and events the whole year.

We live in PGI (a deed-restricted community in Punta Gorda) and here are my answers to your inquiry:

Faceless you will not be. The largest road here is 41, which, in most parts, is a four-lane road.

Slightly small feel, definitely. Though the city is spread out, there is definitely a small town feel in most parts.

Local butcher shop? No.

Local bakery? Yes.

Library? Yes, but the staffs are not as helpful as they should be. There are five or six employees in the staffs, most are indifferent, but it does not deter the seniors to hang out there. Every week, there is a movie day and a garden meeting.

Barber? Not sure. My husband is bald and I use the stylists at the cheap SmartStyle in WalMart. The stylists are very friendly, know your name, and always wave when you pass by. Like Cheers but with a pair of scissors instead of a pint of lager.

Less crowded? Definitely. The population is 16,000 and only feels that way in the high season. The only crowded place is the parking lot at Fisherman's Village.

Rent under 2K? Definitely. We paid $1075 for a 1600 sq ft condo, two br, two bath, den/3rd br, dining room, living room, lanai opens out to the canal, community pool.

Not exceed 325K to buy? Again, definitely. The units in our 12-unit complex (three miles from downtown) was listed as low as $140K (without a dock), and as high as $225K (with a dock). HOA is $400, too high for my book, but it seems the norm for PGI.

Within 30-40 minutes from Page Field? I looked up Google map and it's 27 miles on 41, or 35 miles on 75. Either way, it's 35-40 minutes.

Small downtown with locally operates stores? Yes, all downtown stores are locally owned and operated, except one Subway. Chain stores are outside of downtown proper.

Local events? All you have to do is sign up (online or with a local business) and you will receive email about events almost every week. Or check online for the event calendar. Our email said today is caroling day, free snacks and hot drink provided by local businesses.

Other good things, which you did not ask: The denizens of PG and especially PGI include an incredible amount of birds especially hawks, ospreys, and several bald eagles. Every year, we watched them setting up nest, hatching, and teaching their young to fly. In our backyard canal, there are manatees, alligators, turtles, and tarpons. Mullets are in the hundreds and oysters are in the thousands. On our dock, we have all kinds of wading birds putting on a show daily.

Last 4th of July, we watched the fireworks on Charlotte Harbor, three miles away, from our dock. No muss, no fuss. A lounge chair, two coffee mugs, and the fireworks.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-23-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 12:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
You haven't even hit high season, yet. Give it a week or two.

I have to say that what you are looking for, I was too, and left because I couldn't really find it. The area is fond of big box stores and has a lot of aggressive drivers. I'm from New England and that area is the antithesis of where I was born, raised and lived for 34 years. I'm your age and enjoy living in Knoxville much more. But you have a job so you are going to have to make do. It's just not going to be what you want but hopefully you will find some enjoyment in different things.

Try to find a rental in downtown Fort Myers. It's going to get you as close to the vibe you are looking for.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:41 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
A couple of other things on Punta Gorda.

There are barber shops. Captains Bill is an old-time one that many locals go to. The kind of place where everyone seems to know each other. The barbers there are very friendly.

While there are no butcher shops in Punta Gorda there are two in Port Charlotte within a 10-15 minute drive. Also, every Saturday and Sunday there is a farmers market downtown and there is one vendor there that sells farm raised meats. You also have vendors selling baked goods.

As far as your price range you can find both condos and single family homes on/or off water for that price.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:14 PM

Default Thank you!

You have prvided me with some great feedbaack, thank you very much. My very best wishes to everyone for a joyous Christmas/holiday season. I may drive up that way and explore tomorrow since traffic wil be most likely very light, and I can only watch so much NBA.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Do yourself a favor and check downtown Fort Myers. They have the farmer's market, too, and all kinds of events, shops. Also check Cape Coral. Both areas have more of a community feel than most areas of Southwest Florida. They are also more age diverse. Punta Gorda is cute but it will be a ride to Page Field and it has more of a "senior" feel. Its median age is 64! I'm no spring chicken but that is too "retiree" for me and there are a lot of snowbirds which will make it dead from May to January.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:15 AM

What is considered downtown Ft. myers?

Old 12-25-2011, 09:04 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
from May to January.
Make it May to October. The traffic started to increase the second week this past October, and two weeks later, parking lots everywhere were filled with license plates from Northern states and Canada. Snowbirds are always here at least a week or two before Thanksgiving. Always. The rate for short-term rentals changes on November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area