Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 PM

152 posts, read 357,112 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: post was deleted

I talked with the city this week, estimated cost for all three installed $10,200. on a 10,000 sq ft lot. That would not include removing the old systems.

Last edited by Keeper; 02-28-2013 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
If you are talking about Cape Crappy, it may not be worth it at any cost.
Because you are going to have to pay for the city water and sewer also, the assessments are about $20,000.00 right now. And when they put the water and sewer in your section then you will have paid a whole lot of money for a well and septic that you may only use a couple of years.
They are talking about forcing people in to getting hooked up to the city wether you have a well or not.
This is the most screwed up place in FL and all you would do is waste your money.
If you own a lot here selling it and buying elsewhere would be the smartest way to go other wise they are going to gauge you for ever.
By the time the water is in in many place they will have assessments of $50,000.00 or more and the rest they will get from the rate payers.
Going to try to set the record straight with all this misinformation this poster likes to put out.
1. the city at the time of it's incorporation put it in it's charter that it would expand the public utilities that it already had in place in the SE to the "undeveloped areas" for future development.
The city did not do this to screw people or make money. They did it because the city was plotted in 1/4 acre lots and for on site sewer systems aka septic tanks you need an acre to acre and half to properly leach and absorb the waste. This city did not have that and were only able to install septic tanks because the city was preplotted before the state statute was written (grandfathered in) however environmentally if the city was fully built out it would become a public sewer as the soils would not be able to handle the amount of human waste which in turn would pollute the canals and the estuaries.
2. The private wells are usually shallow and if fully built would like deplete the aquifer.

What the city should have done was not issue any building permits to any lots not yet on the public system. this way the cost of bringing utilities would be about the same as if someone did a private well and septic. however the city wanted it's fees and did not want to stop the growth from the boom. the builders didn't care about the cost of the well and septic because they were passing on the cost to the buyer and would not be around when the assessments took place. The argument that "I already have my own well and septic, why do I have to tie into the public utilities?" is a stupid argument. the city chartered it before any of the houses were built so in essence everyone bought or built knowing this same as being grandfathered in. It is not a scam, or a boondoggle it is a project that was predetermined and enviromentally essential.

3. cost. It is expected to be a maximum of $10,400 for water,sewer, irraigation assessments to areas SW 6-7 and North 1&2 So if you own a vacant lot this is what you will pay. It is less than in the past due to lower cost of construction materials. labor, the city is looking to manage it in house as opposed to outsourcing. and the finance rate is less than half of what was previous. There may even be an upfront discount if not financed. The Sw is expected to begin in 2013 and be assessed in 2014. North 2 is slated to be started 2015 and be assessed 2016. North 1 is slated to begin 2017 and be assessed 2018. No other area is slated at this time. but the cost because it is financed long term and through bonds it is supposed to be a guaranteed maximum price. Which means Equals claim that it'll be $50k later is absolutly false.

this assessment pays for the pipes in the street, fire hydrants, repaving of the road. When you build on your vacant lot and hook up to them you would then have to pay an impact fee of $6750. If you have an existing home you would have to pay this impact fee within a certain amount of time that the utilities are available. If you have an existing house you would also have to pay to have your septic system pumped out and crushed and backfill put in its place. So the cost of an exising house is costly... but again this is not the cities fault the builders placed these houses and the buyers knew the assessments would come before hand. For a vacant land owner these fees are very fair and in line with what it would cost to bring private well and septic to the lot.

As another poster has said the houses that do not have city utilities typically sell for $20k less than what a house that is similar with them does (or they should sell for less). also houses that are on private systems currently do not have water and sewer bills. If you added the discounted sale price and lack of water bills for the time it will take to bring utilities to North 3 and above you will come out ahead of the game. I have a vacant lot in the SW that does not have utilites at this time. I am going to wait to build on it untill they get there. When it comes time for me to build it should be easier knowing I already own the lot outright, have seawall in place, already have water and sewer in place and paid for. I look at the utility expansion as a positive and the city needs it to move forward residentially and commercially.

The impact fees for building are completely different. they are intended to have future growth pay for infrastructure as needed.

Payment:
if they keep things the same as in the past there are usually 3 ways to pay the assessments
#1 pay cash up front , usually at a discounted price to encourage this
#2 finance the amount over 20 years at a low interest rate and included in your property tax bill
#3 defer payments. Make no payments for 10 yrs amount will accrue interest and you can pay off then . so if you plan on selling or dying 10 yrs after they have been installed

Last edited by nhkev; 02-11-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
One thing I that you should also consider are the recurring cost. Like Storm water management fee's. That they collect every year, ( last year they collected $12,000,000.00) that they are supposed to use to maintain the Drainage ditches, Swales and drains so the road don't flood. Not happening, last year they use the money in a land grab, instead of what the money was collected for. Highly irregular me thinks.
By the way vacant land away from the drainage ditches is appraised at $5800.00.
So the cost of water and sewer is almost four time what the land is worth.
In Other words if you buy a property here you automatically buy $20,000.00 in city dept.
Not a smart investment NONEVERNONO
because equal puts everyone on his ignore list he will continue to misinform everyone even though the costs were outlined in my last post , info that is directly from the city. but out of curiosity Equal, where can you buy a lot this close to the gulf for $5800 plus 10,400 assessment plus 6750 impact fees. so a total of $23,000 for a buildable lot with city water ,sewer, irrigation, utilitlites at street? Not a bad deal if you really think about it.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,131 times
one more thing that people don't notice is that vacant property has to pay for trash pick up.
it's on the property tax bill every year property owners have to pay for trash pick up on a property without a house on it, there is something wrong with that

Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
one more thing that people don't notice is that vacant property has to pay for trash pick up.
it's on the property tax bill every year property owners have to pay for trash pick up on a property without a house on it, there is something wrong with that

just looked at my tax bill for my vacant lot. says city of cape coral solid waste 23 cents. is this what you're complaining about? because once again equal you are wrong. trash pickup is only billed to houses it shows up as a charge of $200. The operation of the disposal facility (county dump) is run by the county. the county then sends a bill to the city of cape coral and the city assesses all property for the cost of running the facility, this is what the charge of 23 cents for solid waste is. So let's see will there be a follow up post by equal saying "oops , sorry I was wrong"

Last edited by nhkev; 02-25-2013 at 09:31 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 04:16 AM

225 posts, read 493,880 times
Default Stay on topic

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the op's question. Cost of New Well and Septic? Help with the answer or move along.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
As a reminder.. please report posts that are not about the original topic. Hijacking a thread does not help the OP.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
A local builder told me about 20k
just got off the phone with a builder for cape coral. Was talking to him about cost differences between tile roof vs fiberglass, paver driveway vs concrete. Figured I would bring up the cost of well and septic and city utilities. he said he is currently building some houses in NW cape coral and also SW cape coral. To start he said the well and septic combined is running them about 12-13k. He said it's not an exact number due to the septic designer having to come up with slightly different depths due to soil tests. However Impact fees typically run in the ballpark of $15,500 between cape coral and lee county combined for houses that are on utilities, if you are installing well and septic the impact fees are about $3,000 less. The county and city are contemplating cancelling the impact fees for 2 years which would save up to $15,500 in the construction process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area