Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 PM

32 posts, read 183,688 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if I need a marine GPS and marine charts to go to Sanibel or other area islands from Cape Coral. We have a Bowrider Regal and the depth finder is not working. What do you recommend?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 01:31 AM

518 posts, read 1,231,023 times
If you don't get at least a chart and a depth finder to learn your way around. At least get sea tow or boat us. Because you will end up on a sand bar sooner or later. I could tell you to follow a large boat that would draw more water than your boat does to find your way around the islands. But I have seen many people follow big boats right onto sand bars. A very costly gps will tell you the exact path to each place. Garmin 740 with a chip for south fl. works great. I try to go out at high tide for the extra depth.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 AM

Location: Twin Cities, MN 55337, Outing, MN 56662, and Cape Coral, FL 33904
96 posts, read 211,909 times
You need a GPS/Chartplotter/Depthfinder combo unit. Expect to spend $700-$1000. Most units these days already have all the charts pre-loaded. These units show you everything, all the nautical markers, depth charts, channels, gas/marinas, points of interest, etc. In my opinion it is an absolute must to have one of these units for this area, at least unless you have many, many years of experience boating in the area. And as Fiege mentioned, get a Boat US membership. Best $140 you will ever spend. My membership paid for itself the day I learned the fuel gauge on our new boat was not accurate...

We have a Garmin GPS Map (forget the model number) on our bigger Florida boat, they cost $799 new. We have a Humminbird 798ci HD SI unit ($1000) on our smaller boat that is now back in Minnesota up at the lake for the summer. Both units already have all the charts for SW Florida pre-loaded, as well as the large and small lakes in Minnesota and everywhere in between. Once you learn how to use it, the Humminbird unit can turn you into a pro fisherman practically overnight...

Old 06-05-2012, 06:14 AM

693 posts, read 2,012,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebeach View Post
Does anyone know if I need a marine GPS and marine charts to go to Sanibel or other area islands from Cape Coral. We have a Bowrider Regal and the depth finder is not working. What do you recommend?

Thanks everyone!
You need a chart. There is no way to navigate a boat here without one. There are sand bars, oyster beds, and grass flats everywhere. Especially coming down the river with areas that are less than a foot deep and outside of the channel depths are only 3-4 feet, it is VERY shallow around here. A lot of guys that have been here for years still use a chart. There is also an app for your smart phone that will plot your way, so if you are going to somewhere you have never been, just turn it on, and it will use GPS coordinates, and you can follow it next time as long as your don't run aground on something. Sand bars are bad, but oyster beds can destroy a boat. And if you tear up grass flats, fishermen will remember your boat, so don't do it, it takes 10 years for them to grow back. Make sure you have a depth finder. Most fish finders work just fine. I would recommend a GPS, but the chart and the $10 app for your phone work fine. I have a 24 foot boat, that drafts about 28 inches with the motor down, never owned a GPS (I have been using that App for a couple years though and have a depth finder), and have never gotten stuck by using the charts. I have however ran out of fuel a handful of times (boat fuel gauges) and it would have sucked if I didn't have Seatow. Get a chart and a depth finder!

Get Seatow no matter what. It's $169 for the year, it covers every boat you own or even rent or borrow, one tow could run your over $1000. The word on the water is BoatUS isn't great, I have heard they can be very finicky about paying for the tow, and don't use their own boats. They also don't provide dock to dock service. You can compare them on your own by visiting their websites.

Last edited by Billythepokerkid; 06-05-2012 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 07:20 AM

101 posts, read 272,205 times
Default What is the App that you use

that sounds like a better deal than the GPS

Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,348,837 times
And I suggest that you get a personal locator beacon. If you get stranded they will find you lickedy split. Only the device costs you registration is free and no other fee's.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:07 AM

964 posts, read 2,063,759 times
eSeaChart has a great iPhone / iPad chart app that use your iPhone GPS functionality to plot your location. We use it all the time - no on-board marine GPS.

eSeaChart - The marine navigation iPhone app

Of course, it doesn't come with a depthfinder, but maybe there's an app for that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
You need a chart. There is no way to navigate a boat here without one. There are sand bars, oyster beds, and grass flats everywhere. Especially coming down the river with areas that are less than a foot deep and outside of the channel depths are only 3-4 feet, it is VERY shallow around here. A lot of guys that have been here for years still use a chart. There is also an app for your smart phone that will plot your way, so if you are going to somewhere you have never been, just turn it on, and it will use GPS coordinates, and you can follow it next time as long as your don't run aground on something. Sand bars are bad, but oyster beds can destroy a boat. And if you tear up grass flats, fishermen will remember your boat, so don't do it, it takes 10 years for them to grow back. Make sure you have a depth finder. Most fish finders work just fine. I would recommend a GPS, but the chart and the $10 app for your phone work fine. I have a 24 foot boat, that drafts about 28 inches with the motor down, never owned a GPS (I have been using that App for a couple years though and have a depth finder), and have never gotten stuck by using the charts. I have however ran out of fuel a handful of times (boat fuel gauges) and it would have sucked if I didn't have Seatow. Get a chart and a depth finder!

Get Seatow no matter what. It's $169 for the year, it covers every boat you own or even rent or borrow, one tow could run your over $1000. The word on the water is BoatUS isn't great, I have heard they can be very finicky about paying for the tow, and don't use their own boats. They also don't provide dock to dock service. You can compare them on your own by visiting their websites.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,168 times
Disagree with you,Billy on SeaTow/BoatUS.....I have BoatUS and they actually launched a boat to pull me out of a lake in NH with an outdrive problem and then towed me to a marina on a sister lake for repair.Must have been a huge expense and they covered it.Very happy with them.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 AM

693 posts, read 2,012,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
eSeaChart has a great iPhone / iPad chart app that use your iPhone GPS functionality to plot your location. We use it all the time - no on-board marine GPS.

eSeaChart - The marine navigation iPhone app

Of course, it doesn't come with a depthfinder, but maybe there's an app for that, too.
That's pretty much the same app I have. The charts have depths on them, so for depths I use both my depth finder and charts. The oyster beds and sandbars are very obvious on the charts.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:49 PM

964 posts, read 2,063,759 times
Yeah, but one good storm, those depths can change.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
That's pretty much the same app I have. The charts have depths on them, so for depths I use both my depth finder and charts. The oyster beds and sandbars are very obvious on the charts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area