Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:10 PM

8 posts, read 33,773 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm thinking about relocating to Fort Myers. I currently live in Minnesota and hate it. I've lived here my whole life and I need a drastic change. Fort Myers seems like a beautiful place. I'm looking forward to warm winters and lots of baseball.

My main concern is safety. Is Fort Myers a generally safe city? Rent seems fairly low compared to a lot of areas in Florida, and I'm wondering if there is a reason for that. I'm a female in my early twenties with only a small taser and a can of pepper spray to defend myself.

My second concern is jobs! I'm a paralegal. There (sadly) seems to be a lot of foreclosure work in Florida, so I think I should be alright, but I'd still like to get a little feedback about the employment market down there.

Lastly, I'd like to be in a place where there is a fairly large population of people my age. I don't want to end up in a town full of retirees (I checked out Boca a while back and yikes!)- I love people of all ages, but obviously a solid group of young professionals that I can relate to would be ideal.

Any feedback/information/anything you can provide me with is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,095,443 times
Honestly doesn't sound like the place for you

Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 AM

693 posts, read 2,014,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lani6 View Post
Hello all,

I'm thinking about relocating to Fort Myers. I currently live in Minnesota and hate it. I've lived here my whole life and I need a drastic change. Fort Myers seems like a beautiful place. I'm looking forward to warm winters and lots of baseball.

My main concern is safety. Is Fort Myers a generally safe city? Rent seems fairly low compared to a lot of areas in Florida, and I'm wondering if there is a reason for that. I'm a female in my early twenties with only a small taser and a can of pepper spray to defend myself.

My second concern is jobs! I'm a paralegal. There (sadly) seems to be a lot of foreclosure work in Florida, so I think I should be alright, but I'd still like to get a little feedback about the employment market down there.

Lastly, I'd like to be in a place where there is a fairly large population of people my age. I don't want to end up in a town full of retirees (I checked out Boca a while back and yikes!)- I love people of all ages, but obviously a solid group of young professionals that I can relate to would be ideal.

Any feedback/information/anything you can provide me with is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I was going to say the exact same thing as the other poster. Everything about your post screams Miami or Tampa.

There are tons of older people here, mainly in the winter, but there a lot of them. There is a lot of baseball, especially spring training, and winter and fall leagues, but that's it. Even the Pro Baseball teams have domes because of the rain and heat of the summer. There isn't a huge population of young, working professionals, the night life is very limited, unless your idea of nightlife is like mine, which is live music at a hole in the wall, sports bars, theme bars, or getting drunk on the beach. A good amount of Ft. Myers is sketchy at best, but coming from St. Louis, it will probably be nothing. There aren't many jobs in your field, even with all the foreclosures, believe it or not. I would definitely look somewhere else.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 AM

8 posts, read 33,773 times
Thanks for both your responses!

The other area I've been eying is Tampa/St. Pete. You think that area would be a better fit for me? Seems to be a bit bigger of a job market there too.

Miami isn't my favorite. Too expensive.

I'm not much of a club/party girl. Hole-in-the-wall bars are where it's at for me. I just want to make sure I'm not completely surrounded by retired people.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:19 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Definitely try Tampa.

I have a cousin that's a paralegal in Fort Myers. She's worked for him for years though and it is hard to find that kind of job there. The area is geared toward the service industry.

Lots and lots of older folks.

Tampa will be a younger demographic with more job opportunities.

Years ago we had someone on the forum that moved from Tampa to Fort Myers. I became friends with her. She absolutely hated every minute that she was in Fort Myers. She tried to leave but it was just as the housing boom collapsed. I think they ended up foreclosing on her condo but she finally got out and went back to Tampa. She said Fort Myers and Tampa are nothing alike.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:29 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,480 times
You should be heading for Ft Lauderdale.......used to hang out there in my younger days.....beach,club and party scene is better on the east coast.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM

693 posts, read 2,014,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
You should be heading for Ft Lauderdale.......used to hang out there in my younger days.....beach,club and party scene is better on the east coast.

The beaches are not better on the East coast. Club and party scene yes.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
The beaches are not better on the East coast. Club and party scene yes.
A lot of people prefer the ocean to the gulf though.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
A lot of people prefer the ocean to the gulf though.
Yes, I do. Love those mighty Atlantic waves! Hate the hot bath water of the gulf, especially at Fort Myers Beach. I find it pretty dirty, too. I like Naples and Sanibel much more but still prefer the Atlantic.

I think Mr. Sam meant the beach scene, though.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:12 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,555,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Definitely try Tampa.

I have a cousin that's a paralegal in Fort Myers. She's worked for him for years though and it is hard to find that kind of job there. The area is geared toward the service industry.

Lots and lots of older folks.

Tampa will be a younger demographic with more job opportunities.

Years ago we had someone on the forum that moved from Tampa to Fort Myers. I became friends with her. She absolutely hated every minute that she was in Fort Myers. She tried to leave but it was just as the housing boom collapsed. I think they ended up foreclosing on her condo but she finally got out and went back to Tampa. She said Fort Myers and Tampa are nothing alike.
Where are you getting your data from? You should check the census data. Tampa is not a younger demographic. Both cities are pretty close in all age groups.

Data from US Census Bureau 2010 figures

Ft Myers 2010
Persons under 5 – 7.3%
Persons under 18 – 22.7%
Persons 65 and over – 14.4%
Median age – 33.90

Tampa 2010
Persons under 5 – 6.4%
Persons under 18 – 22.6%
Persons 65 and over – 11%
Median age – 34.7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area