Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 04:06 PM

42 posts, read 178,737 times

Advertisements

We are from fly over country and since 2005 my husband and I have spent a month each summer vacationing in the Ft. Myers. I absolutely live for shell collecting and we both enjoy kayaking. We've spent most of our vacation time at Lover's Key, Sanibel and Bunche Beach. We are familiar with the Ft. Myers area and love how shopping is just a short drive away.

He's recently taken a job contracting which will require travel to various locations around this state for several months per job; he hopes to fully retire in around 5 more years. We've decided to purchase a 2nd home home since the current real estate market now puts owning a vacation property within our budget. Our target area is nearer the Sanibel causeway (Iona area). We've decided while he's working I could stay at the property with our dogs and he'd come visit for week ends. We've checked and b/c of our dogs we wouldn't qualify to live within a restricted/gated community and have looked in the unincorporated areas.

I like the thought of being so close to great shelling, stores and our favorite beaches but am a little nervous about crime since I'd be staying alone at times. How bad is the crime in this area?

Someone recently recommended the Englewood area b/c of its low crime. I know nothing about Englewood; does anyone know how the shelling is at the beaches there compared to Sanibel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 AM

374 posts, read 796,781 times
Iona is a GREAT area. It is nestled in South Ft. Myers with a very short drive to the beaches. Remember though... in every nice area, there are some pockets of bad, so do your research, but I think that area is a good start for a retirement home.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,777 times
Hard to compare the two. Englewood is nice - has a few very small art galleries, but is smaller, more laid-back with an older population. If you're young, you would get bored quick. Ft. Myers has a younger population, has a great beach with lots to do.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
Englewood beach has a lot of seashells along the shore all the time. They also have a lot of sharks teeth if you want to collect them too. Sanibel has more variety of shells than Englewood beach. The Englewood area has four beaches which includes Manasota Beach, Blind Pass Park, Englewood Beach, and Stump Pass Beach State Park. Englewood Beach is located in Charlotte County. Here is the link: Community Services
Here is a link to the other beaches: Manasota Key Florida Beaches. Photos and Information.

Englewood has older homes and some newer communities as well, just depending on what you are looking for and price range. You could also look in South Gulf Cove and Rotonda which are nearby Englewood. There are plenty of areas that would be great for dogs. And you wouldn't be too far to drive your dogs to the dog beach and park in Venice. Paw Park and South Brohard Beach (http://www.venicegov.com/Park_links/paw.htm - broken link)

Take some time to explore your options. Many people come down for a vacation or rent first and while they are here they look at the different communities/towns. Good luck to you.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,480 times
Sheshells......Listen to me,honey. I used to go to Englewood when my mom lived there and it spooked me out.
It 's like a Steven King movie where all the young people have disappeared.
You go to a beach bar and the server is 85 years old with a tank top.
Love the beaches there but you really need to look around if you want to buy there.
Keep in mind that I'm an old fart myself,so if I'm a little spooked I know you will probably be too.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:31 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,554,801 times
I taught high school students in 2009 and many of them went to Englewood beach on a regular basis. I see a lot of younger people there especially on weekends and in the summer. So it is not all old people. I go to that beach more than any other and I am not that old. But you really do have to check out places yourself. I would say that Venice beach and Nokomis beach have had more older people when I have gone there.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Sheshells......Listen to me,honey. I used to go to Englewood when my mom lived there and it spooked me out.
It 's like a Steven King movie where all the young people have disappeared.
You go to a beach bar and the server is 85 years old with a tank top.
Love the beaches there but you really need to look around if you want to buy there.
Keep in mind that I'm an old fart myself,so if I'm a little spooked I know you will probably be too.
As active empty nesters, we are climbing up that hill but not quite "over the hill" yet. LOL.

I'm currently on the east coast of the state, going stir crazy in an RV with 5 little dogs, while my husband's on a job here; needless to say I need a house and the dogs need a yard. Also thought it would be cool for our kids to have a place to use on vacations. Our primary home is in rural Arkansas which is pretty much small town. We've vacationed quite a bit in Ft. Myers but I'm a little imtimidated to stay there alone and was concerned about crime.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshells View Post
As active empty nesters, we are climbing up that hill but not quite "over the hill" yet. LOL.

I'm currently on the east coast of the state, going stir crazy in an RV with 5 little dogs, while my husband's on a job here; needless to say I need a house and the dogs need a yard. Also thought it would be cool for our kids to have a place to use on vacations. Our primary home is in rural Arkansas which is pretty much small town. We've vacationed quite a bit in Ft. Myers but I'm a little imtimidated to stay there alone and was concerned about crime.
As others have said, Englewood is laid back, more so than S. Ft. Myers. I live in Punta Gorda Isle, and I am out and about all the time doing things. It is right in between both places. When I have guests fly in to Ft. Myers we always take them to Sanibel Beach, and if they Fly in to Sarasota we take them to Siesta Key. We go to the beach all the time, and it not inconvienient to drive 30 minutes to some awesome beaches around here.

Good Luck with your pick! And, enjoy the process!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshells View Post

5 little dogs? from rural Arkansas? ummm....well, to keep stir-crazyness at bay, lots of land would help. Lots are dirt cheap in Lehigh Acres. You can buy a house with multiple adjacent lots for a steal.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
5 little dogs? from rural Arkansas? ummm....well, to keep stir-crazyness at bay, lots of land would help. Lots are dirt cheap in Lehigh Acres. You can buy a house with multiple adjacent lots for a steal.
Actually we moved to Arkansas due to my husband's job (nuclear eng.) We are native Clevelander's, but due to his profession we've relocated a few times. The 5 dogs are minature schnauzers (from show/hobby breeders) or as we call them "the schnauzer mafia" and don't require a lot of land; a simple fenced in yard will work.

Thanks for the advice on Lehigh but we're leaning towards a city lot a little closer to the water.

Oh and we do have a pick up truck and some duct tape
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area