Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:01 PM

12 posts, read 35,460 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

We are a young family (husband and I are in our 20s and 2 children in elementary school and 1 one on the way). We currently live in Port Charlotte and have been thinking about relocating some where else in Florida for quite a few months now.

My husband works in construction and commutes to Cape Coral / Fort Myers / Naples areas most days of the week. He is going to start his own business soon and is hoping with the reputation he has built through the company he has worked for the last 10 years, the business would go well. If not, he does have connections in the area and can easily land a full-time job. He likes fishing, boating, camping, sports, and pretty much outdoorsy activities.

I, on the other hand, have been a translator overseas and since I moved to the States I worked in Customer Service for a company in Punta Gorda. I am hoping to gets licensed and work from home as a translator which will allow me to spend time with the baby in the first few years. I love Art, Music, the beach, etc.

My husband has been trying to convince me that moving to Cape for our current situation is the way to go. I am not very keen on the idea of moving to Cape Coral given that it is too quite and bland for my taste. I still kept an open mind about the whole thing and we took a few trips to the area in different times of the day. I could only picture myself living in SE Cape but not any other part.

Here are the criteria we are looking for:

- We are hoping to find a 3-4 bedroom /2 bath house with a pool around $100,000 - $125,000. (We are going to be looking at foreclosure homes first). We are open to the idea of living in a gated community with low HOA fees as well. Is it likely that we can find a house like that is SE Cape within our price range?
- Low crime is a must.
- Great schools for our children. I know the school system in Cape Coral is completely different than Port Charlotte and that has been a major concern to me.
- Strong sports programs.
- If we move to SE Cape, do we have to pay a toll every time we cross the bridge to Fort Myers?
- What are the average property taxes, insurance, and utility bills in the area?
- Are there any family-oriented activities going on in town all year round?
- Is it true that most of the city is full of illegal immigrants (read that previously in the forum)? [We have been to Edison mall a few times during our trips to Cape Coral, and it just felt very uncomfortable seeing that most visitors were communicating in Spanish. Don't get me wrong, I am an immigrant myself and I am by no means racist, but after the few trips we took there, I was just wondering how well my family would fit in in a mostly hispanic community, given that we don't speak any Spanish...]

Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 07:30 AM

158 posts, read 381,782 times
Most of these questions can be answered by doing the appropriate Internet search to see the actual facts: crime rate, housing prices, population density, insurance rates, utility rates, and taxes. In general, what I've found living here is that there is a very low crime rate, housing prices are very affordable, the population of Cape Coral is about 70% white (non-Hispanic), insurance rates are reasonable, utility rates are reasonable, and real estate taxes are extremely low (compared to where I used to live). I don't know about education, sports, or family activities.

One thing you have to remember is that Cape Coral is not Fort Myers. Fort Myers crime rate is much higher, and the population is only about 45% white, so you will hear a lot more Spanish, and other languages, on that side of the river. I don't know the number of illegal aliens in the area but I haven't heard many Spanish speakers in Cape Coral. I really don't know why illegals would come to Cape Coral since there aren't many jobs for them here.

The lower two bridges to Fort Myers cost $2 to cross but the toll is only collected when coming into Cape Coral, not when leaving. You can use the upper bridges and not pay a toll.

It's interesting that you think Cape Coral would be bland and quiet coming from Port Charlotte...I didn't know there was that much difference between the two cities. Cape Coral is very quiet and not the place to live if you want a lot of excitement--but then that helps account for the low crime rate I imagine.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 PM

12 posts, read 35,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoomer View Post
Most of these questions can be answered by doing the appropriate Internet search to see the actual facts: crime rate, housing prices, population density, insurance rates, utility rates, and taxes. In general, what I've found living here is that there is a very low crime rate, housing prices are very affordable, the population of Cape Coral is about 70% white (non-Hispanic), insurance rates are reasonable, utility rates are reasonable, and real estate taxes are extremely low (compared to where I used to live). I don't know about education, sports, or family activities.

One thing you have to remember is that Cape Coral is not Fort Myers. Fort Myers crime rate is much higher, and the population is only about 45% white, so you will hear a lot more Spanish, and other languages, on that side of the river. I don't know the number of illegal aliens in the area but I haven't heard many Spanish speakers in Cape Coral. I really don't know why illegals would come to Cape Coral since there aren't many jobs for them here.

The lower two bridges to Fort Myers cost $2 to cross but the toll is only collected when coming into Cape Coral, not when leaving. You can use the upper bridges and not pay a toll.

It's interesting that you think Cape Coral would be bland and quiet coming from Port Charlotte...I didn't know there was that much difference between the two cities. Cape Coral is very quiet and not the place to live if you want a lot of excitement--but then that helps account for the low crime rate I imagine.
Thank you for your reply. I find Port Charlotte too quite as well! I do like the parks in Punta Gorda and the many events they have throughout the year though. I am new the whole state and quickly realized that Port Charlotte is not the place for me since it lacks the urban feel.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,261 times
We are looking to move down to cape coral hopefully this summer. My husband is a plumber ..he does commerical, service, new construction etc. I was just wondering how are the jobs in that area for that type of work. He has no problem commuting he is pretty much use to it up north. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,350,841 times
Construction job are scarce. This area had only one industry and that was home building and it went to pot (not the word I would use but it is a public forum). If you live in the southern part you have to use the toll bridges so on top of fuel you have to pay to go to work, not good.
When the largest employer is the city government the area is always in depression mode. I would look elsewhere as in not Cape Coma.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 AM

319 posts, read 612,581 times
Follow the money, as the snowbirds arrive things will pick up. The bulk of construction is happening in the I75 corridor from Alico to Naples.

Construction is spotty in Cape and Ft Myers. However, Cape utilities is ramping up. If the citizens don't apply pressure we could see utilities and road work start. This is the major issue with Cape. They won't resurface roads until utilities is decided and in progress. This leads to lack of interest. Who wants to live here when a $20,000 assessment is looming in your future.

On the flip side, if you can establish yourself and wait it out, there will be a new housing bubble inflating over the next 5 years.

As for a not so quiet night life or things to do. With three kids, a little quiet is probably not a bad thing. If you really need to let your hair down, you can get the babysitter and go to Tampa, Orlando or Miami for a weekend.

Just my 2 pennies.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:47 AM

374 posts, read 796,443 times
You can't compare Cape Coral or even 1/2 of Ft. Myers (the better areas that is) based on the Edison Mall. I wouldn't be caught dead in that mall at any hour of the day/night. And it has nothing to do with race. It is the proximity to the bad areas and criminals who patronize that mall and the surrounding shopping area. It is amazing how economically divest (and close) good areas are from bad areas. You HAVE to do a LOT of research before you buy. Cape Coral is much safer generally (I think) than Ft Myers... less bad areas mixed in, but it does seem like a "snooze" place to live. But if I were on a limited budget with a family it would probably be a good choice. Currently I have a place in South Ft. Myers.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:34 PM

71 posts, read 105,331 times
This is an interesting topic, i would also like to make the move to Fl.
I live in Europe, but it's becoming a hell here, cape coral seem to be an area with a lot of potential.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:44 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
I wonder what people that consider CC too quiet like to do? CC has Fort Myers minutes away. Between the two cities there is almost unlimited shopping and restaurants. Look at the stickies (the first two threads on this forum) for things to do. But CC is near beaches, has access to boating and fishing, you can see a play, go to the movies, go to clubs or bars, there are scores of parks. CC is within 2 - 3 hours of Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando, Disney World. Cruise ships are nearby in Ft Lauderdale. Naples has high end shopping and dining too....

Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 AM

319 posts, read 612,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet84 View Post
This is an interesting topic, i would also like to make the move to Fl.
I live in Europe, but it's becoming a hell here, cape coral seem to be an area with a lot of potential.

Where are you in Europe? We have a nice UK, German and Swiss outpost here. I am more than certain you will find many things interesting. And think of the benefit you will provide to your extended family.

Once you live here, they will all have someone and someplace to visit where sunlight is in abundance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area