Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

I have a summer seasonal business in Las Vegas and wanted to come to Florida this winter to work/sail/explore/see if this is where I want to live. I am getting varied responses as to when exactly the "season" is, I am an experienced bartender/waitress/restaurant manager. I thought it was dec to may, which is when I'm available, but I've had a few phone interviews that have expressed otherwise. When is the busy season? I've been offered a job for jan-june and another that starts this week. No can do......wondering if its going to be hard to find something when I arrive on the 10th of Dec?

And I hear that Ft Meyers area is the best spot for finding work, but some have recommended the upper keys, and Sarasota. I figure I'll check them all out until I find one that fits but any opinions would be useful.

Also, since I'm here, I will be looking for sailing buddies, is there an active sailing club anyone can recommend? I know of a large group in Ft. Lauderdale but wasn't sure if that area would be to my liking.

My plan was to travel/live in a conversion van so I can see all the cities. I love camping anyway. I do plan on renting a room or something eventually but until I do am I going to have any troubles with local law for sleeping in my van occasionally in non camping spots like on public streets?

Any thoughts or help on any of these matters would be great!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM

260 posts, read 563,298 times
Living in your van shouldn't be a problem, ask equalrights for his address, anywhere near his place should be just fine..

Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 AM

91 posts, read 222,814 times
The season starts in October but doesn't kick into high gear until January after the holidays best I can tell. It ends in May and by June everything is quiet.

I cannot say how good the employment in the service industry is but I can say that businesses really pick up during this time. I suspect it is pretty easy to get part time work but full time work might be a challenge.

People sail on both coasts but if you are looking for something serious such as running crew on a racing boat the Atlantic coast is going to be your best shot. Most of the sailing on the gulf side are sailing clubs for hobbyists.

Lots of people sleep in their cars here. Finding a legit place is easy thanks to Florida being a tourist destination. Also there are plenty of parking lots and the like where police won't say anything and are safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: