Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 AM

7 posts, read 22,975 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are 50 years old and playing with the idea of moving from the northeast to Florida. We both love the West coast from Sarasota down past Naples. I was thinking of starting a handyman/mobile automotive service/repair business. Do any of the folks here think this would be an accepted type of business they would use (more the auto part)? It could possibly consist of coming to your home and performing repairs right in your driveway; brakes, tires, oil change and general preventative maintenance issues as well.

Would anybody consider using a service like this? Have you used a service like this before?

A little of my background- degreed mechanical engineer as well as an FAA certified aircraft mechanic.

Thanks for any helpful info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
My ex does that up in Knoxville, Tenn. since he closed his bricks and mortar auto repair shop. They are a dime a dozen up here and we have a far better unemployment rate and diverse economy than Southwest Florida. By the way, he's from Fort Myers and has all of his family down there. He checked and they are a dime a dozen in Southwest Florida as well. Check Craigslist and you will see. Since the recession it seems to be the thing to do. Bear in mind that my ex is trained as an auto tech - auto body, too - and has been turning wrenches for himself or someone else for 23 years. Add to that all of the dealerships that folded during the recession. There are auto techs stumbling over each other, right now. And my ex has a following in Knoxville and the Fort Myers/Cape Coral/Naples corridor.

Looking for something to do? Cater to the elderly population but bear in mind that most folks have already thought of whatever you imagine.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
My ex does that up in Knoxville, Tenn. since he closed his bricks and mortar auto repair shop. They are a dime a dozen up here and we have a far better unemployment rate and diverse economy than Southwest Florida. By the way, he's from Fort Myers and has all of his family down there. He checked and they are a dime a dozen in Southwest Florida as well. Check Craigslist and you will see. Since the recession it seems to be the thing to do. Bear in mind that my ex is trained as an auto tech - auto body, too - and has been turning wrenches for himself or someone else for 23 years. Add to that all of the dealerships that folded during the recession. There are auto techs stumbling over each other, right now. And my ex has a following in Knoxville and the Fort Myers/Cape Coral/Naples corridor.

Looking for something to do? Cater to the elderly population but bear in mind that most folks have already thought of whatever you imagine.
Thanks for the insight; I am thinking of the elderly as they are the most likely to need this type of service. I'm very interested in helping the elderly folks while providing a valuable, reasonable service.

I'll start diving a little deeper into the numbers on this idea. What was your reference on craigslist? To search for this type of business or guys looking for work?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 AM

319 posts, read 612,390 times
We are in major need of an "Honest" and reliable mobile Fleet Mechanic. I run 18 vehicles, I have been through 6 mechanics in 4 years.

As Hik said, "They are a dime a dozen."

However, true mechanics with a level head, non-use of recreational substances and the ability to perform well under pressure are few and far between.

Look me up when / if you figure it out. We do Gas Oil Changes every 45-days, Diesel every 90 and I require DOT inspections with each maintenance. I also have small engines(2 to 5 HP Pumps) & a couple of gas-hydrolic (z-prays).

As for servicing the Elderly, everyone wants to be in that niche, it is also very problematic. There are many wolves among the sheep. You have to start slow and build the reputation. Word of mouth is the predominant way business is done here.

Also, you have to have the wear-with-all to weather the summers here. 50% of our population evaporates after Easter. Literally, Sun comes out and they all dry up

Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
We are in major need of an "Honest" and reliable mobile Fleet Mechanic. I run 18 vehicles, I have been through 6 mechanics in 4 years.
This. Even for your regular mechanic - this area seems to hire cheats, "salesmen" and inept workers. I've lost probably 1k in overcharges / not knowing what they were doing in the 2 years that we've been down here.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post

As Hik said, "They are a dime a dozen."

However, true mechanics with a level head, non-use of recreational substances and the ability to perform well under pressure are few and far between.

Look me up when / if you figure it out. We do Gas Oil Changes every 45-days, Diesel every 90 and I require DOT inspections with each maintenance. I also have small engines(2 to 5 HP Pumps) & a couple of gas-hydrolic (z-prays).

As for servicing the Elderly, everyone wants to be in that niche, it is also very problematic. There are many wolves among the sheep. You have to start slow and build the reputation. Word of mouth is the predominant way business is done here.

Also, you have to have the wear-with-all to weather the summers here. 50% of our population evaporates after Easter. Literally, Sun comes out and they all dry up
Very interesting; it is tough to find good people in any industry, including my current one. I think the problem with alot of these guys is that they've never been in a position of responsibility where they have to deliver consistently and present well.

Thanks for the input, starting to look promising.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
This. Even for your regular mechanic - this area seems to hire cheats, "salesmen" and inept workers.
Why do you suppose this is? Is it the local workforce issue or part of a wider problem?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 AM

132 posts, read 557,162 times
I would use a service like that if the cost was close to going to a garage. If you worked on small engines (mowers, tractors, boats) even better and alot more work for you.
Good luck. Come back on here and let us know when you start up.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
Why do you suppose this is? Is it the local workforce issue or part of a wider problem?
Both
One of the main problems is that certain individuals don't want to pay anybody a decent wage.

In many cases you get what you paid for, You most likely will not hire skilled labor in ant profession for $10.00 an hour.

This is one of the problems with an older population many think they should get the work done for what they paid 25 years ago, not all do but some.

The other problem is that many of the cheep folks will hire unlicensed or even illegal workers to try and save a buck.
The best rule of thumb is hire a person that specializes in one trade. Not a Jack of all trades.
There is a certain amount of common sense involved, Hire a "handyman to do handyman things, but don't hire the guy to rewire or re-plumb your home.
There are many good handymen out there but usually they are way outnumbers by the NOT SO HANDYMEN. Don't hire a handyman to perform work that should be done by skilled labor
Let the buyer beware.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
One of my neighbors at my shop in NFM does this. Complete mobile mechanic service out of the back of a retired ambulance. He does quite well.

However he was forced to get a business "location" in which to park his business vehicle(ambulance). As those in his neighborhood (in Ft Myers) complained to code enforcement about the vehicle parked in his driveway. Doing this in Cape Coral would get the same problem. So consider outfitting an "average" type of vehicle for the business if you want to park it at home, or you'll end up renting brick and mortar anyway.

YC.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area