Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,361 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My first attempt at this so bear with me, I have been retired 2 yrs and my wife will retire this year. We have been coming to N. Fort Myers for the past 4 years spending time with our friends. We have gone to many parks in N. Fort Myers, Pine Island and all are interested in selling us a property but just dismissed us when we said we were looking for a rental. Most say its done by the individual owners I thought I would try this forum and see if anyone can suggest something or a contact or two for us to secure something. We have just us no grand kids that we where told about just two 30 year old daughters. I love to fish and golf. My wife just loves to be away from Wisconsin in the winter. We are not looking for club Med but either a mfg. home, condo, 2 bedroom 2 bath house in a nice area. One area I was interested in is River Bend If anyone knows of someone willing to rent we would like to do renting for as long as we are still above ground.
Thanks

Last edited by Sunscape; 04-11-2013 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 12:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
First of all, you say you want to rent "long term" but also show Nov to April dates. That is not long term. That is a seasonal rental and it's not off-season, but the busiest time of year in SWFL. Of course you might get a better deal if you commit to multiple months, but the most important question is : what is your budget?

Nobody can respond with helpful information without knowing what you plan to spend.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 AM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
Hi, I'm afraid I don't know too much that can help you, but I know of two places with a large number of units that include rentals on their websites, Maple Leaf Estates Co-op in the Port Charlotte area and Seven Lakes condos in Fort Myers. I have no personal experience of either place, so am not recommending them necessarily, but their golf courses and grounds look nice in the photos and their websites contain the type of listings you're asking about.

If I'm understanding correctly that you're looking for the same home to return to every year, my guess is that if you limit yourself to places that would guarantee this to you, you might be limiting your search too much (many landlords will want more flexibility to possibly sell their property in the coming years), but on the other hand, if they know that you're someone who, if pleased with a property and the property is available the following year, might become a "repeat customer," they may well give you priority over others.

I tried looking on the web for other communities that might have this info, but you're right, it seems like sales info is easier to find than rental info, so good luck!

Last edited by Sunscape; 04-11-2013 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
Something else I just thought of.

Was not sure if you meant your adult daughters would or would not be staying with you. If they are (or would be visiting), be sure to check into the occupancy (and guest occupancy) limits/rules of any place you are thinking of renting.

I've found in particular that the 55+ places (which I think the two I mentioned in my earlier post are, at least at time of this writing) can vary a lot in their requirements. Some impose rules that go much further (are much more restrictive) than what is needed, at a minimum, to retain their 55+ status. For example (on the strict side) I've come across communities that limit occupancy, even for a two-bedroom unit, to two residents, and I've seen some other very restrictive rules. (I have not looked into the rules for the places I mentioned.)

You want to make sure in advance of signing a lease that the property you rent will allow the use you intend.

That's all I can think of for now--again, best of luck, and glad you've been enjoying your visits to this area enough to want to come back every year. It really is a beautiful area with a lot to offer!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
The reason I asked the OP for a price range is because I've rented properties in North Fort Myers and know people who own & manage vacation rentals in that area. The OP didn't mention Port Charlotte, but I can recommend a lovely manufactured home community.

By the way, even with the best intentions, no couple can guarantee they will return year after year. People get sick, injured, die, have family obligations or other emergencies. I've known a few people who made reservations a year (even a month) before a vacation and couldn't travel because of illness.

Again, without a budget, it's impossible to make recommendations.

Good luck!

Last edited by justNancy; 04-09-2013 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: fix typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area