Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 6,213 times

Advertisements

This isn't a serious proposal and I know it's just a pipe dream, but since Lee County will probably continue to grow its population significantly in the years to come...If funding wasn't an issue, I'm wondering if Lee County would support a light rail system to run more efficiently, conveniently, and frequently than it's current transport options, namely LeeTran bus system?
Let's say the LeeTran buses/routes were replaced with a light rail transit on the main roads such as 41, Daniels, Metro Pkwy, etc - and be connected to smaller 'people mover' trams that would travel the smaller streets, like McGregor, Summerlin, or whatever. And they could connect to areas of interest, such as universities, airport, shopping areas, beaches, the historic district, etc. It all would be very convenient for students, seniors, tourists and some business people. It could also developed outward to include greater Lee County (population 618,000).
Anyway, I know I'm ahead of my time, lol, but just curious what your thoughts would be.

Last edited by newguy7; 04-20-2013 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 06:04 AM

244 posts, read 487,530 times
I would love it!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy7 View Post
This isn't a serious proposal and I know it's just a pipe dream, but since Lee County will probably continue to grow its population significantly in the years to come...If funding wasn't an issue, I'm wondering if Lee County would support a light rail system to run more efficiently, conveniently, and frequently than it's current transport options, namely LeeTran bus system?
Let's say the LeeTran buses/routes were replaced with a light rail transit on the main roads such as 41, Daniels, Metro Pkwy, etc - and be connected to smaller 'people mover' trams that would travel the smaller streets, like McGregor, Summerlin, or whatever. And they could connect to areas of interest, such as universities, airport, shopping areas, beaches, the historic district, etc. It all would be very convenient for students, seniors, tourists and some business people. It could also developed outward to include greater Lee County (population 618,000).
Anyway, I know I'm ahead of my time, lol, but just curious what your thoughts would be.
It would be very expensive and underutilized. Even in the North East where there are trains going from big city to big city, like Amtrac, and the trains are widely used, they are losing a ton of money. Lee Tran just got 26 hybrid buses. They also have some nat gas ones. I think that is a better direction for this area if you are a taxpayer.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM

47 posts, read 147,101 times
Love the idea, but currently not practical. Until people lose their biases of riding within the bus system - denser mass transportation is a pipe dream. Agreed with above, buses, feet, and cars are our people moving solutions here. -PCW (Realtor, Urban Planner).

Old 03-09-2014, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,225 times
I don't see it as a pipe dream at all. A million people are supposed to reside in Lee county by 2040 and many of our roads are already becoming crippled. Try Driving over the mid-point bridge at 7:00 am and you'll see what I'm talking about! An extra 400,000 people certainly won't ease the traffic! This Light rail would use much of the railroad already in existence going from Downtown FM to Gateway, RSW and FGCU and could in theory continue to naples. In addition, a new railway would need to be built going from Downtown and connecting the Cape, FM Beach, and Sanibel. Believe it or not, there is a proposal for passenger services in existence proposed last August. Look for the Lee MPO plan for rail and you'll get a sense of what direction we are headed.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencointl View Post
I don't see it as a pipe dream at all. A million people are supposed to reside in Lee county by 2040 and many of our roads are already becoming crippled. Try Driving over the mid-point bridge at 7:00 am and you'll see what I'm talking about! An extra 400,000 people certainly won't ease the traffic! This Light rail would use much of the railroad already in existence going from Downtown FM to Gateway, RSW and FGCU and could in theory continue to naples. In addition, a new railway would need to be built going from Downtown and connecting the Cape, FM Beach, and Sanibel. Believe it or not, there is a proposal for passenger services in existence proposed last August. Look for the Lee MPO plan for rail and you'll get a sense of what direction we are headed.
That may be the direction some big government, global warming pushing politician wants to go, but the Lee County taxpayer will not support this budget busting pipe dream. Even though I support the natural gas buses, they are underutilized. One million people in an area as large as Lee county is not that many and certainly not enough to support a boondoggle rail system. It's not like they are all going to the same place at the same time, like people commuting into a big city. There will be plenty of additional roadways by 2040 for drivers to use. The first will be the new connection to RSW from 75 next year.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
It would be very expensive and underutilized. Even in the North East where there are trains going from big city to big city, like Amtrac, and the trains are widely used, they are losing a ton of money. Lee Tran just got 26 hybrid buses. They also have some nat gas ones. I think that is a better direction for this area if you are a taxpayer.
It's too simple an answer to say rail loses money because the entire cost of a rail system shows up on their books. If the states payed for the yearly maintenance of the tracks as they do the roads for cars then I believe they would be profitable.

Gary

Old 03-13-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
It's too simple an answer to say rail loses money because the entire cost of a rail system shows up on their books. If the states payed for the yearly maintenance of the tracks as they do the roads for cars then I believe they would be profitable.

Gary
How can you call it profitable if the state is paying for part of the costs? The state is not paying any of the costs of my business.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:17 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
How can you call it profitable if the state is paying for part of the costs? The state is not paying any of the costs of my business.
I didn't say it was profitable, I said it has costs attributed to it that other forms of transportation don't.

The state picks up some of the cost for rail the same as it does for every road, bridge and traffic signal airport etc that everyone uses.

You can't separate out rail because it doesn't make money.....none of it does.

Gary

Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
I didn't say it was profitable, I said it has costs attributed to it that other forms of transportation don't.

The state picks up some of the cost for rail the same as it does for every road, bridge and traffic signal airport etc that everyone uses.

You can't separate out rail because it doesn't make money.....none of it does.

Gary
You actually did say it would be profitable but if we are having a discussion about a new boondoggle federal project we should be honest about how much it will cost in the long term and short term. There is really no need for a new rail system anyway. You would need a car to drive to the departure terminal and from the arrival terminal anyway. If there was some truly great advantage to it, like the 700 mph proposed hyperloop then maybe I could see making an investment into it.
Business roundup: Pneumatic people mover; hedge fund woes - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area