Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM

15 posts, read 27,956 times

Advertisements

What do people think of living in Cape Coral? Interested in hearing more about this community...preferably from people who actually live here! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times
I'm not being sarcastic with this remark but what it is really like living in cape coral is going to be different for different people. Someone that has been there for a long time has lots of money, lives in a nice neighborhood, has good friend and family structure will be drastically different than someone struggling financially, has no support structure, and lives in a not as good area. On top of that you have perceptions of where people came from. Thus you have multiple posts on this forum that seem to completely contradict each other. For example you can find multiple post saying property taxes are outrageous others that will tell you they are extremely low. you will find some people that say traffic is horrendous others that will say it's nothing. Based on personal experiences there some will say people are friendly others will say the opposite.

How bout starting with some questions based off what's important to you and I'm sure you will get some responses that are more tailored to whether it is a good fit for you.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 AM

297 posts, read 509,653 times
The search function will give you both opinions about the area. As said above, asking a general question will get you a general answer like" its too hot in the summer". Is that what you really want to know? Being a little more specific may bring responses that you are looking for. Oh......by the way, count us as one's who like it here.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,875,268 times
You didn't say if you were looking to retire or a working family w/kids
In any case,we are semi retired (snowbirds) as they like to call us.We live on a street in SE Cape Coral that is on a canal and our boat is right in the back yard.Our street is about 50/50 retired/working families.Very affordable and friendly area.Close to shopping and restaurants.Not much to complain about.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 AM

31 posts, read 69,407 times
We have visited the Cape over the last couple of years and are making a permanment move next month. We currently live in Michigan, and although we live in a nice area, the draw of warmer temps, year around swimming, and having my boat parked in the back yard are wonderful draws.

We have found the people of Cape Coral to be very friendly. People from all around the US relocate to the Cape, but it does have a more Midwestern US feel than the east side of Florida. Example, more of a laid back, not as stressed environment.

For families (like us), there are public charter and private schools that excel by educational standards. The crime rate is low and the lifestyle/weather are fabulous.

Our family has relocated a couple of times. And while no place is perfect, I have been targeting SW Florida, and specifically Cape Coral, for a number of years.

Hope those who have lived in the Cape for quite some time are also able to comment - good luck.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Thanks! My husband and I are in our middle 30's and we have three children ages 8,9,&11. We both work in the Human Service Field. We are planning on moving to Florida after I finish up my degrees early in 2015. We would like to live on the Gulf Coast and have been researching different cities/communities. So having a place where we don't need to be afraid to let them go outside and play! And having a decent school for them to go to would be a plus as well! We would want to rent at first and then purchase property once we are more settled.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal state of mind View Post
We have visited the Cape over the last couple of years and are making a permanment move next month. We currently live in Michigan, and although we live in a nice area, the draw of warmer temps, year around swimming, and having my boat parked in the back yard are wonderful draws.

We have found the people of Cape Coral to be very friendly. People from all around the US relocate to the Cape, but it does have a more Midwestern US feel than the east side of Florida. Example, more of a laid back, not as stressed environment.

For families (like us), there are public charter and private schools that excel by educational standards. The crime rate is low and the lifestyle/weather are fabulous.

Our family has relocated a couple of times. And while no place is perfect, I have been targeting SW Florida, and specifically Cape Coral, for a number of years.

Hope those who have lived in the Cape for quite some time are also able to comment - good luck.

I am sooooooo beyond jealous that you are moving next month! We are going to pay off some things and save some $ as well before we make the move....and we need to decide where we are going to end up! We brought the kids with us to Florida for the first time this past August and they did not want to leave! We are soooooo ready to get out of this cold, snowy weather for good! We currently live in Iowa! You will have to keep in touch and keep us updated on your new adventure in The Sunshine State!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:54 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,875,268 times
Don't know if you guys are boaters or not but many streets on canals end with a cul-de-sac so there is no through traffic.....kids play in the street,our cats run the neighborhood safe from predators and fast moving vehicles.
Only people who live there or are doing service work have any business being there so anyone with bad intentions would be noticed at once.Very safe neighborhoods.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 7,736 times
just noticed this post.. my husband and I are also moving down in a few weeks from Maine, he will be working in Ft Myers so we're thinking that we'll live in Cape Coral, unfortuntly I have not had time to come down and explore the area so I have to make a decision from opinions, etc. we love the SE because of the canals, etc but the SW seems nice because the homes seem newer and nicer, are both good areas to live? both have stores, restaurants, etc? any suggestions? we will be renting a home preferably looking to pay $1500-$1700, thanks for any tips, oh are kids are all grown so we're not looking for family neighborhoods necessarily

Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM

518 posts, read 1,231,789 times
I live in the se section and like that I am able to walk to the beach and the downtown area. It is also closer to Fort Myers and there beaches. The boat ride from my place is about 10 minutes to the river with no bridges or locks. I have a newer home with older homes around me that are in good shape. The cost here is a little lower than the sw section because that area is mostly newer and has some bigger houses. I looked at both areas but for the dollar value I bought in the se. section. It is a good fit for us. Good luck house hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area