Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:27 AM

35 posts, read 51,786 times

Advertisements

I have a condo with a boat slip in the SE Cape. Thinking of getting something, Jet Ski or small boat.
Just looking to get out on the water and maybe do a little fishing. Anyone recommend a good place
to purchase a boat? What would you get if given I'm a beginner? Don't have a big budget for a boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:21 AM

55 posts, read 85,722 times
Can you swim??

Old 11-21-2014, 12:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
For fishing there are two different choices. one is a flats boat made for skinny water the other is the center console which is made for bays and near shore. Size depends on how many people you would normally want to fish with and how far offshore you might want to travel. In both cases you would want an outboard motor and T-tops (a regular sunbrella type gets in the way)

For further offshore you would want a 24 foot or larger with twin engines. If you are happy in near shore and bays, grass flats etc then I have found a 20 footer with 150hp 4 stroke outboard (I prefer Yamaha) a very good all around versatile boat. you can usually take 6-8 passengers if you are out for a cruise or room for 4 anglers without getting in each other's way. In bad weather you could likely hit 42mph and get back to shore quickly. a good fishing platform would be important to me. and think storage, coolers, towels, sweatshirts, food, tackle,bait a head for the ladies and kids is usually a plus. Don't fall for an 18 footer that extends a bow 1 foot or adds a small unusable deck to the back to get to 20 feet.

If I were going to worry more about social boating and going island hopping with friends and were more interested in comfort but still some fishing I would go with a deck boat (not the pontoon type) I see hurricane brand everywhere down there.

you should be able to find a decent boat in the $7500 range have a marine mechanic inspect it with you and definitely do a water test where you drive the boat around for at least a half hour , open it up at full throttle for at least a couple mins. Some boats can cruise around all day long but if the water jackets get clogged with corrosion it'll overheat when driven full throttle. I also would not want a boat that had bottom paint (they might be trying to hide something).

Old 11-22-2014, 05:30 AM

Thanks Kev ! Probably leaning toward a deck boat.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Larger freeboard is a good idea. It seems that every boating season, people get offshore in a light boat, low freeboard, and get swamped as waves come in over the transom.

We went with a 21' V hull with a 115 hp outboard. Versatile, able to handle waves when a storm comes up quickly, as they tend to do down here.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:30 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I'm in the marine industry, so I have some views on the subject. If you cruise up any canal in Cape Coral you will see boats on lifts that haven't moved in years and years. Everyone who moves to Florida HAS to have a boat and then, after the initial charm wears off, they discover it isn't for them or that the upkeep is more than they anticipated.

As for my thoughts on the "ideal" boat for SW Florida, here are 3 of my personal favorites:

1) An open boat, like a center console, or, at most, a walk around cuddy. You want NO carpeting so you can hose it out at the end of the day. Carpet and plush upholstery look great in the showroom or on the lot, but in the real world are a pain to keep clean.

2) An all white boat. Colors look neat, but every day someone comes in looking for a cleaner to return their black, red, blue, or other color boat to it's former appearance. Colors fade out REAL fast in the Florida sun,and turn white. I had a boat with some Teal Green on it and every 3 months I was compounding and waxing it to keep the green green.

3) Do not buy an inboard or inboard/outboard boat, buy an outboard instead. They draw less water, are easier to trim up in skinny water, and, most importantly, are better at handling our very salty water. An inboard or I/O is really a car motor that you are running salt through. Cast iron does not like salt, and no matter how much you flush or use Salt Away, you will be replacing things like manifolds and risers in about 2-4 years.

As for where to buy a boat, my suggestion is to rent a boat a few times and get the feel of it, or join a boating club where you get unlimited use of a boat. It is simply a matter of math. It costs so much every month to own a boat, even on a lift, and you will be doing a lot of work on it constantly. ........washing, waxing, flushing, etc. With a boat club you hand it back and go on your way.

Whatever you do, have a marine mechanic look over the boat before you fork over the money. I know two very good marine techs, and they are the only two I would trust to work on mine. They are:

Brad's Marine 239-826-1960 or Kens Marine 239-549-0301. Both are mobile and will come to your dock. Known both for 25 years and they are good and very reasonable. If you don't have someone check it out, regardless of how mechanical you are, you run the risk of hidden problems costing you a lot of money later. I get customers all the time who are crying the new boat blues because their "perfect boat" didn't turn out that way.

Even if you buy a brand new boat, expect that there will be a period of getting the bugs out. People think a new boat is like a new car and should be perfect......THEY AREN'T. There are always things to correct and fix. Plan on that and accept it as fact. I've worked at various marinas and dealers and have seen things that would curl your hair. Find a good technician and keep him.....they are hard to find.

Also, if you do buy a boat BUY TOWING INSURANCE from a company like Sea Tow or Towboat U.S. Some people think they get good towing coverage with their regular insurance policy, but those are very limited. Both Sea Tow and Towboat U.S cost about $125 a year and is the best money you will spend. The average tow costs about $700 and goes up from there, and YOU WILL BE TOWED sometime in your boating life. We all have.

With all that being said, a boat is a wonderful recreational tool. We live in one of the most beautiful areas in the country, with lots of water to explore, and it is a shame to not be a part of that. Just do your homework, look around a lot, and ask your friends for advice and recommendations. If you rush into buying a boat you will pay the price for a very long time !! Welcome to boating !

Don

Oh, and buy your gas at marinas that sell non ethanol gas. Regardless of if you are putting in things like Startron or Stabil to handle the ethanol, ethanol is very corrosive, especially to outboards, so buy non ethanol. It might seem more expensive but in the long run it is a lot cheaper.

Last edited by don1945; 11-22-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 11-22-2014, 11:15 AM

Thanks Don, appreciate the information.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:58 PM

249 posts, read 321,606 times
NJFRED, it will be time well spent to take a water safety course before you head out in your new boat.
There are many good ones available.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:09 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
^^^^^^ Yes, very important, especially down here with such shallow water everywhere.

Don

Old 11-24-2014, 07:07 AM

55 posts, read 85,722 times
Great advice about boats, engine configurations and safety. For a beginner this is very exciting and the time not to make a costly mistake. I decided not to buy a boat because boat rentals which are everywhere and reasonable. To many different types of water where one type of boat would not suffice. I would suggest you rent several different types of boats until you decide what truly you will use the boat for. Pleasure cruising, fishing, island hopping and adventuring. Each type has its plus and minuses and where you'll be boating is very important. Learning your water will be another adventure.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area