Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:11 PM

374 posts, read 796,443 times

Advertisements

Ok guys. Just got back yesterday from Ft. Myers, Sanibel and Captiva. I visited the beaches at all 3.

Ft. Myers water was, as usual, the pits. The water was brown and frothy. Since I do own a condo down there... It has been my observations throughout the years that the water in and near the Northern part of Estero is always murkier than the surrounding islands due to the where the water naturally flows from the river. Well that is even more true now with the releases coming down from Lake O. Then add the construction on the island, the Spring break crowds, and the funny sewage smell that seems to linger near the Lani Kai, I pretty much will rule out Ft Myers beach until they can get the releases under control.

Sanibel water was better but it too still had a brown line running a bit out from the beach. There was no red tide thank god and no dead fish like last December. But still not as beautiful as you become accustomed too.

Captiva had the best water of all. Almost as clear as it usually is. No brown. I decided to do the remaining beach days up in front of the Mucky Duck. VERY hard to find parking as there are only 25-30 paid spots, so you have to go,early or park miles away at Bowmans beach and ride your bike the remAining miles onto Captiva. I have electric bikes, so this is usually my choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 02:19 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paradise View Post
Ok guys. Just got back yesterday from Ft. Myers, Sanibel and Captiva. I visited the beaches at all 3.

Ft. Myers water was, as usual, the pits. The water was brown and frothy. Since I do own a condo down there... It has been my observations throughout the years that the water in and near the Northern part of Estero is always murkier than the surrounding islands due to the where the water naturally flows from the river. Well that is even more true now with the releases coming down from Lake O. Then add the construction on the island, the Spring break crowds, and the funny sewage smell that seems to linger near the Lani Kai, I pretty much will rule out Ft Myers beach until they can get the releases under control.

Sanibel water was better but it too still had a brown line running a bit out from the beach. There was no red tide thank god and no dead fish like last December. But still not as beautiful as you become accustomed too.

Captiva had the best water of all. Almost as clear as it usually is. No brown. I decided to do the remaining beach days up in front of the Mucky Duck. VERY hard to find parking as there are only 25-30 paid spots, so you have to go,early or park miles away at Bowmans beach and ride your bike the remAining miles onto Captiva. I have electric bikes, so this is usually my choice.
Darn, I'll be in Ft Myers Beach on May 25th and was hoping the water was better by now. Oh well, I'm going to have a good time anyway because I always look forward to going there. My daughter will be there next week and is planning a day at Sanibel and Captiva so I will let her know the scoop
Thank you for letting everyone know!

Old 04-14-2016, 02:21 PM

This is the water on FT Myers Beach last September 2015

Old 04-14-2016, 02:35 PM

374 posts, read 796,443 times
Nasty

Old 04-14-2016, 06:27 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times
Could be worse......could be Biloxi, MS water....

Old 04-14-2016, 10:43 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,772 times
And this is why I'd much rather just drive down to Naples or head north to Siesta Key...it's worth the drive.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:19 AM

11 posts, read 14,621 times
Water brown at naples beaches too all week

Old 04-28-2016, 10:26 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Not to rain on your parade, but the Atlantic is always better than the Gulf. It's not just a personal opinion. I lived in SE Florida for many years, right on the beach. Beautiful water, crystal clear, no red tide.
I love to fish. Sorry guys, can't do boats of any kind-seasick so must fish from coast...
For the last two years, I can't. Blind Pass used to be great, but the Army Core of Engineers ruined that with Lake O releases. If the elected officials would just do what the taxpayers voted them in for, this water would be returned to the glades south of the lake.
Sorry for the rant. The Gulf is ugly and is killing the estuaries. I miss Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, but stay because...as my upper right says...wife loves it.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:43 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
Yesterday morning we went out to Stump Pass and walked the trail. The water was a clear blue turquoise color and to top that off there was a Bald eagle standing at the south end.

Today we were at Brohard dog beach and the water was clear there too.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Yesterday morning we went out to Stump Pass and walked the trail. The water was a clear blue turquoise color and to top that off there was a Bald eagle standing at the south end.

Today we were at Brohard dog beach and the water was clear there too.
That's wonderful!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area