Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 05:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

I have an infected tooth under a 16 year old crown. My dentist wants to remove it and give me a permanent bridge. He is quoting me a little over $4,000 to do this which seems a little high and I don't have dental insurance. Do any of you fine folks have a recommendation for a dentist in Fort Myers? Someone said on a different thread they think he is trying to gouge me with that price and that I might also need an endodonist so if you have a good one please let me know.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 05:51 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Try Dr Gary Shierling
521 Cape Coral Pkwy
Cape Coral

239 542 1500

He has been able to save teeth for me in the past.

And come up with quality treatments that have bought me some time, to get ready for the permanent fix at a later time. If there's a way, Dr Shierling can find it.

CN

Old 08-10-2016, 06:16 AM

Thanks - his name sounds very familiar - I might have gone to him years ago when I lived in Cape Coral but if he can save my smile & $$$$, I will gladly travel over the bridge. I'm going to call him right now!

Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Nicholas J. Dundee, D.D.S., P.A.
326 Del Prado Blvd. N., Suite 302, Cape Coral, FL 33909
239-574-5555

Old 08-12-2016, 07:19 AM

Thanks Donna - what can you tell me about him?

Old 08-14-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Thanks Donna - what can you tell me about him?
He doesn't try to sell things that you don't need and he is very reasonable. You also don't have to wait more than 10 minutes for your appointment.

He is wonderful with kids. My grown children still go to him.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:46 AM

Seems all the good dentists are in Cape Coral. :-)

Old 08-28-2016, 07:27 AM

Went to Dr. Shierling - he couldn't even find an infection under the crown!! I thought perhaps it was because I'd been on antibiotics for 8 days by the time I saw him but he said he didn't even see any sign of an infection. He also said if I didn't have any pain or swelling that there might never have been an infection. Things that make you go hmmmm.

However his estimate for replacing the crown was about the same price as the first dentist. My boss recommended a Dr. Hogan in Fort Myers. He said she was very good and also didn't try to upsell treatments. So I'm taking a wait and see approach. I bought a Phillips SonicCare toothbrush and I am flossing twice a day.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Went to Dr. Shierling - he couldn't even find an infection under the crown!! I thought perhaps it was because I'd been on antibiotics for 8 days by the time I saw him but he said he didn't even see any sign of an infection. He also said if I didn't have any pain or swelling that there might never have been an infection. Things that make you go hmmmm.

However his estimate for replacing the crown was about the same price as the first dentist. My boss recommended a Dr. Hogan in Fort Myers. He said she was very good and also didn't try to upsell treatments. So I'm taking a wait and see approach. I bought a Phillips SonicCare toothbrush and I am flossing twice a day.
Wow. At least you didn't waste the money if you don't have an infection.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:10 AM

9 posts, read 11,797 times
Not surprised, but very discouraging, to read about an "infection" that was not an infection and the attempt for upsell a patient. As a relatively new resident in Cape Coral, I have had encounters with two dental clinics here which gladly took X-rays and did a quick mouth exam but would not provide the free cleaning under my insurance (United Health Care Medicare Advantage plan) UNLESS I agree first to pay them a list of procedures costing in one case hundreds of dollars and thousands in the other case. (They billed the insurance for the X-rays and exams though.) I believe they are doing this routinely to their new patients. Similarly happened once to me in Tennessee some twenty years ago (wanted some four to five thousand dollars then) when I was new there even though I had good company dental and health insurance. The warnings about how my gum and teeth were going "bad" did not happen, of course. (My dental health was and is in good shape. I did find a trustworthy and ethical dentist soon afterward in TN but not here yet.) As an example in my latest encounter last month : they wanted to charge "gingival irrigation" (Is this not part of cleaning??) and by the quarter of a mouth (so 4X for whole mouth). Sounds like charging extra to open you car hood when you go for an oil change. Or charging you for the water used to clean your car in a car wash. Obviously, they were not able to find something really wrong with my teeth and gum. It is depressing to realize that it is hard to find ethical and honest dentists around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area