Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:34 AM

113 posts, read 105,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yes, there is a flat rate for water AND sewer and then the additional usage charges. I find it a little high for a 2 bedroom condo especially since I don't do that much laundry.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 09:51 AM

50,522 posts, read 64,490,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
Thanks. Are you in the Cape also?
No, I'm actually in GA, but just to compare.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:02 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,146,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yes, there is a flat rate for water AND sewer and then the additional usage charges. I find it a little high for a 2 bedroom condo especially since I don't do that much laundry.
But how often do you shower and flush the toilet? That's outgoing water.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:06 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,146,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
Ah. That probably explains it. Thanks. Hopefully others in my area, Cape Coral can chime in with their bills to compare. If this is right then the standard cost of water + sewage at minimum usage would be $60 per household. Hopefully otherwise I'll need a big refund.
Unless you can prove the the City of Cape Coral overcharged you, you'll be due nothing. If you think your bill is too high, maybe you have a leak somewhere and should investigate.

If you're paying for sewer (out going water) as well as water (incoming water) then you need to take a look at your shower, dishwasher, washing machine and toilet usage...all of those contribute to the sewer bill.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:53 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,756,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Unless you can prove the the City of Cape Coral overcharged you, you'll be due nothing. If you think your bill is too high, maybe you have a leak somewhere and should investigate.

If you're paying for sewer (out going water) as well as water (incoming water) then you need to take a look at your shower, dishwasher, washing machine and toilet usage...all of those contribute to the sewer bill.

Underground leaks from the meter, near the street, to the side of the house where the shut off valve is, are fairly common, and are the responsibility of the homeowner.

IIRC, as it has been a while since I've used Cape utilities, actually all the incoming water is counted as outgoing water, as they have no means to distinguish between the two. They just charge a different rate for each. It's been seven years since I last paid any bill to the Cape, so some things may have changed?

i.e., If you use 30,000 gallons in a month, for cooking, washing, showering, toilet useage, whatever, if it came in, they figure it went out. That's why Cape Coral encourages you to use the "irrigation water" that you are charged a flat fee for, for those "irrigation" needs, and car washing, etc.......

The last place I was at in the Cape, I had been there for two and a half years when they sent me a letter saying they had determined that they had been undercharging me and several others in the same area due to some anomaly with their meters. I had to pay an additional $300.00 and change, spread over my next three billing cycles.......good luck with that refund.

CN

Old 04-10-2017, 10:41 AM

113 posts, read 105,192 times
Ive talked with neighbors and it looks about right. Looks like per property there is about a $50 flat rate then usage, which isn't particularly expensive is charged from there. But then I also learned a basic trick to troubleshoot any suspected issue which is to turn off water to your house and check your meter. Never checked one b4 as have mostly been a renter with a relatively small bill. And supposedly your meter jiggles in correspondence to actual usage(?). Ill find out. Thanks for responses...

Actually, no that wouldn't work. Turn off water to different outlets, toilets, sinks, etc... But if you're not leaking the needle shouldn't move at all. So I've been advised.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:52 AM

45,702 posts, read 61,117,345 times
You know folks, unless you're in the same town within the same water and sewer district you can't compare water/sewer bills. You have to have the unit charge and your total usage.

Just because A pays X in East Buttcheek doesn't mean B paying Y down the road in Upper Nostril is overpaying.

As a note, the number most often used when designing a water and/or sewer system is 250 gallons per day for a household of three/four people. I don't know how that works out to acre/feet or whatever some other systems use for usage.

Also, minimum per household charges are common requirements by bond issuers to ensure enough revenue to cover bond payments.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:20 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,756,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You know folks, unless you're in the same town within the same water and sewer district you can't compare water/sewer bills. You have to have the unit charge and your total usage.

Just because A pays X in East Buttcheek doesn't mean B paying Y down the road in Upper Nostril is overpaying.

As a note, the number most often used when designing a water and/or sewer system is 250 gallons per day for a household of three/four people. I don't know how that works out to acre/feet or whatever some other systems use for usage.

Also, minimum per household charges are common requirements by bond issuers to ensure enough revenue to cover bond payments.
Now I'm wondering.......

Which would be the better place to live?

Neither sound particularly appealing. I suppose if you got far enough east in East Buttcheek, NE East Buttcheeck maybe the best. Upper Nostril sounds best at first pass.......But if Upper Nostril is downwind of East Buttcheeck, it may not do at all.......

Damn these random musings.

CN

Old 04-10-2017, 06:27 PM

45,702 posts, read 61,117,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Now I'm wondering.......

Which would be the better place to live?

Neither sound particularly appealing. I suppose if you got far enough east in East Buttcheek, NE East Buttcheeck maybe the best. Upper Nostril sounds best at first pass.......But if Upper Nostril is downwind of East Buttcheeck, it may not do at all.......

Damn these random musings.

CN
Upper Nostril has the poorer section while the upper class lives in Upper Nostril Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: