Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 05:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times

Advertisements

I've always leaned toward the Gulf side (once thought about moving to Bradenton), but think living a little inland might be a better idea.

I've been doing online search for apartments and have been surprised to find some that are within my price range. But I do suspect some are for college kids and a senior woman might not enjoy living in a high energy place. (No, I'm not dead. Really!!)

If you know about Gainesville and surrounding areas, please post what you know.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 09:35 PM

11 posts, read 7,802 times
Howdy! This question landed int he Cape Coral, Ft. Myers forum. We are quite a bit far from Gainesville.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCoralPaul View Post
Howdy! This question landed int he Cape Coral, Ft. Myers forum. We are quite a bit far from Gainesville.
I should have paid more attention to the map!! Thank you!

Old 04-03-2018, 03:26 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,734 times
https://thevillageonline.com/

Old 04-03-2018, 04:52 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times
Before this fades away, here are your standard C-D responses:

1. Crime is terrible there.

2. Traffic is terrible there.

3. If the first two don't kill you, the weather will.

4. High rent, low wages.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:59 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I've always leaned toward the Gulf side (once thought about moving to Bradenton), but think living a little inland might be a better idea.

I've been doing online search for apartments and have been surprised to find some that are within my price range. But I do suspect some are for college kids and a senior woman might not enjoy living in a high energy place. (No, I'm not dead. Really!!)

If you know about Gainesville and surrounding areas, please post what you know.

Thanks!
We moved up here from SFLA about 3 years ago.

What is your budget? If you want to stay away from the college crowd, you'll want to look at apartments that aren't as close to the university.

I'm in suburbia and I'd suggest apartments in or close to suburbia as well so that you are with a mix of families, retirees, empty nesters, etc. Near me is Tower 24--very walkable. Apartments in another beautiful walkable area are The Flats of Tioga. Also nearby is The Legacy of Fort Clarke and The Paddock Club, both just a few miles north of the Tioga development.

We love it up here--friendly, great health care, so many farmer's markets and organic grocers and the cost of living much less than SFLA. When we want the beach we drive 90 minutes to Jax or St. Augustine, or go a bit further south and to the west another hour or so and spend a long weekend in St. Pete.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2018, 07:47 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
Gainesville is a 1 horse town

Old 04-07-2018, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 11,481 times
Hello there. The only thing to understand is that Gainesville is a student town, and thus everything in the city more or less gravitates around the university. Once you accept this and are ok with it, I think that Gainesville is a great place to live in for a few years. Although things can get redundant there (especially if you move from a bigger city like Mia, NYC or even Austin), to me it is probably one of the best places to live in Florida. It definitely has a lot more to offer than the Fort Myers area in many, if not all aspects. Rent is more affordable and you can find good quality places (a lot is crap too because owners are trying to be cheap since they know students will need to rent regardless), but still not as outrageously priced as the gulf area where thing are really low quality. The ratio what you pay/what you get is way better. Another point is the culture life which is kinda cool in Gainesville thanks to the big university (although it may be a little redundant), there are opportunities to meet cool people and to go to cool events if you really go out there and look for these things. Compared to Ft Myers, well its not even comparable since the culture level in the Fort is close to inexistent. The food is way better in Gainesville too, a few cute/cool eating joints in town that Ft Myers is completely lacking as well. Also, places do not close at 9pm on weekdays like it is the case in Ft Myers (really important to know this !!!!). Overall, life is nicer/more enjoyeable in a city like gainesville. Unless you're a pure beach afficionado, then maybe being at a beach spot is more for you, but driving 30 minutes to go to beautiful springs is not that bad is it? Gville is a great place that I dearly regret, especially now that I moved from there to Fort Myers which I surprisingly consider as a regression. Let me know if you have any other questions, would be glad to answer !

Old 04-07-2018, 11:54 AM

19 posts, read 18,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Gainesville is a 1 horse town
nope, it's got two

Old 04-24-2018, 07:01 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3Bmodem View Post
nope, it's got two
I counted six when I was there on Saturday. That included my own, of course.

I just moved into the vicinity a month ago.

So far the south end of GNV is better for shopping convenience. But I much prefer Ocala for overall appeal.

As mentioned GNV is very much geared toward the young/liberal crowd. If that is your bailywick, you'll like it there.

CN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area