Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2022, 05:04 AM

7 posts, read 9,531 times

Advertisements

2 Kids, 5th and 7th grade. We currently live in a 3800 sq ft 6/5 3 car garage GL community in western Boynton. Picked here because it was so family centric, all the kids go to the same schools, 100s of kids in the neighborhood, you know all your neighbors well (for better or worse). Wife's job is taking her over to that area and I work from home. She does not commute during normal 9-5 so any "traffic concerns" are not really concerns. Price range I would say 500-900K Priority is

1- safe family centric neighborhood, we are fine with HOAs
2- safe schools, good public option close by
3- not buying at the penultimate height, would rather find something lived in, and needs updating than pay for something that is likely 20% over valued, but it is not THE deal breaker
4- home bodies, so want some space in the house, and only need a publix nearby, not big on going to beach or nightlife not important either

So that being said. I would say Orange Tree in NE naples through Babcock ranch all East of 75 are in play. Ideally 3200+ sq ft, 5/3.5 and bigger. Ideally not zero lot line. Ideally nice walking paths, people outside, neighbors who say hi and are in the "it takes a village" mindset.

We see some nice new communities in Estero off Corkscrew, (the Place, Verdana Village). I like to play tennis, indoor tennis in Verdana is intriguing. But they are either really pricey or still very early stages of being built, and we don't want to wait 3 years to enjoy the amenities as our plan is to move once the kids finish high school, so it is like a 6-8 year play then downsize.

Saw some nice communities in Gateway, prices seem WAY less, but why? I know they are older...but? Are there particular neighborhoods in Gateway that are more ideal than others? I see they have a new high school.

Saw some near there new build just east. What's the story there?

Then you go a bit north to like Ft. Myers shores area, some new builds there.

Alva? What's the story here?

Then Babcock. I am pretty sure it is off our list as just being too far off the beaten path, but not totally against it.

Someone help me narrow this down who knows the area well, has kids, understands the schools and neighborhoods, ideally our home stays at the $ we pay or maybe even a bit better, thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,601 times
Are you still looking to make the move?

There's a lot to unpack here but would love to help out.

Gateway is cheaper because there is not much out there. It's underdeveloped yet. Same with Alva. Naples, Ft. Myers, and Cape Coral is where it's at. Cape Coral is super safe and so is Naples. Ft. Myers has it's spots that you'll have to stay away from in terms of safety. Babcock ranch is incredible but it's a little far out if you want beaches. Some people don't care about that though. For family, I think Cape Coral is the best area. Ft. Myers is a close second. Naples is a pricier and more snowbirds than young families.

I'd love to connect and help you narrow down your search. I'm a realtor here and moved from Missouri in 2015 so I know how daunting it can be to move to a new place. I'd love to help!

Old 07-10-2023, 06:36 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I lived in Gateway back around 2016 and it has grown and added a Publix nearby. The best part of living there is when the power went out due to hurricanes Irma and Ian, Gateway didn't lose their electricity because of the underground utilities. I would move back there if I could except I don't want to deal with an HOA.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:32 PM

20 posts, read 18,664 times
Im curious about south of Tampa as well. I recently moved north to Weeki Wachee. I think I might have to stay for a while before I sell. My situation has changed. My fiancé has passed away. My brother feels I should go into a community and move south. Any suggestions? I have a few friends in Lakewood Ranch, I have friends that recently moved to Cape Coral but not in a community. I saw Babcock Ranch online... Any insight??

Old 12-19-2023, 08:02 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My boss's daughter lived there and loved it. They survived the hurricanes with almost no damage and they didn't lose electricity either.

However, racist acts against minorities in their High School have made the local news quite a few times so keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area