Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,394 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the various posts related to this forum as well as the Fort Myers forum and decided to seek your help. Currently I am enjoying life and seasonal work in Northern Michigan, but it is time to start thinking about the winter months.

I read all these posts that say there are plenty of rentals available at reasonable even bargain prices, but when I search out websites, the listings are for $500.00 a week or more. Are there any desireable rentals that anyone is aware of for $700.00 to $900.00 a month furnished (Fort Meyers and vacinity area, Venice Sarasota area). If I could find a service industy job (waiting) and perhaps substitute teaching to supplement my income, I would stay till April, otherwise it will be a one month visit.

I am a semi retired single male that has a dog. I know having a dog (Airedale) will present a obstacle for some, but he is a well behaved 14 year old blind and deaf old boy. Sleeping is his main pastime. My girl friend, who is a teacher in Michigan will visit during the holidays, so I need something that will pass her inspection.

Any info or contacts will be appreciated also your thoughts on securing a seasonal job that would pay the rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 01:19 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
You can check ..VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link)

Please note however, that the winter months get peak rates, and are often sold out by the previous year.

Frank D.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:36 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctusa View Post
I have been reading the various posts related to this forum as well as the Fort Myers forum and decided to seek your help. Currently I am enjoying life and seasonal work in Northern Michigan, but it is time to start thinking about the winter months.

I read all these posts that say there are plenty of rentals available at reasonable even bargain prices, but when I search out websites, the listings are for $500.00 a week or more. Are there any desireable rentals that anyone is aware of for $700.00 to $900.00 a month furnished (Fort Meyers and vacinity area, Venice Sarasota area). If I could find a service industy job (waiting) and perhaps substitute teaching to supplement my income, I would stay till April, otherwise it will be a one month visit.

I am a semi retired single male that has a dog. I know having a dog (Airedale) will present a obstacle for some, but he is a well behaved 14 year old blind and deaf old boy. Sleeping is his main pastime. My girl friend, who is a teacher in Michigan will visit during the holidays, so I need something that will pass her inspection.

Any info or contacts will be appreciated also your thoughts on securing a seasonal job that would pay the rent.
From Nov-April, rental prices can double, especially in FM due to its very heavy concentration of snowbirders & winter tourists.

You would have absolutely no problem finding that price in FM during off season. Close to impossible on a furnished rental during season if you want to live in a safe neighborhood. You could probably find that price for a home that is barely livable. Just be leary b/c desperate times call for desperate measures & landlords have to figure out a way to pay their mortgage.

Your dog may be charged extra. Depends. Our landlord allowed cats but no dogs, fish, or birds. You could request exemption for the dog & if allowed it was an extra $250/month in rent.

FM is not doing well in terms of employment & what you are asking so are hundreds of others who live there & can't pay the rent There is competition for securing a job that would garnish tips during season & off.

You may want to look into renting in areas further north like Port Charlotte or North Port. Job situation is bleak there as well but the rentals are more affordable.

Take a look on the Lee County Education website as well as Charlotte & Collier. That will give you an idea if they are hiring for subs & the application process.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:59 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Collier is not hiring subs this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
From Nov-April, rental prices can double, especially in FM due to its very heavy concentration of snowbirders & winter tourists.

You would have absolutely no problem finding that price in FM during off season. Close to impossible on a furnished rental during season if you want to live in a safe neighborhood. You could probably find that price for a home that is barely livable. Just be leary b/c desperate times call for desperate measures & landlords have to figure out a way to pay their mortgage.

Your dog may be charged extra. Depends. Our landlord allowed cats but no dogs, fish, or birds. You could request exemption for the dog & if allowed it was an extra $250/month in rent.

FM is not doing well in terms of employment & what you are asking so are hundreds of others who live there & can't pay the rent There is competition for securing a job that would garnish tips during season & off.

You may want to look into renting in areas further north like Port Charlotte or North Port. Job situation is bleak there as well but the rentals are more affordable.

Take a look on the Lee County Education website as well as Charlotte & Collier. That will give you an idea if they are hiring for subs & the application process.
Actually, any new hires will one be for one year only. The district was decimated by the school budget cuts this year, which left people scrambling for other positions in the school. They went totally by seniority.

The teacher I used to work with in Naples lived in Lee. She wanted to apply in Bonita where she lives, but was told there was a hiring freeze on in Lee.

Not a good time to get a position in education, or for that matter, county government either. Hiring freeze there too, except for "critical" personnel.

Next year has the potential, given that one year only policy, to be even worse than this year.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 43,855 times
Default Seasonal rentals

Wonder if any Rental agents can tell me if demand form Snowbirds for 2010 is down for Ft Myers area. Many retirees depend on income derived from Stock and Bonds. We all know how the market is doing and I wonder if that has affected the rental season for next year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area