Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 AM

8 posts, read 41,880 times

Advertisements

I am confused on the whole PMI aspect of mortgages. I understand that if you put down less than 20% of the purchase price, you are charged monthly for Private Mortgage Insurance. Is there a set percentage that is calculated based on the loan amount or does it get based off of your credit score?

I found a website that really confused the heck out of me and would really appreciate some clarification. It claimed that you no longer have to pay for PMI if your down payment is 20% or higher of the appraised value of the property, not the loan. So let's imagine that the house was appraised at $180,000, the loan amount was for $53,000 and the down payment was of $6,000. According to the website, I would be over the 20% based on the appraised value but not when based on the mortgage amount. Which way does it work???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 12:08 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,107,287 times
it is normally required when you do not put 20% down of the sales price, and some lenders also require that you have to carry it for 2 years regardless of whether the amount of equity you have in the property has increased. to get rid of it you must write a letter reuesting to have it removed then the bank has an appraisal done at your expense and then if you have the 20% equity it will be removed. I believe a lot of lenders will let you pay for it up front (say like 1% of the mortgage balance) and then you don't have to deal with it anymore. in most cases if you figured out how much your pmi payment would be and then the cost of an appraisal to remove it you may be better off paying up front. Lenders hardly ever let you know this option and you have to ask for it. Lenders that do not require pmi typically have higher rates or closing costs to offset. get specifics from the lender whether its 20% equity or 20% down compared to sales price and how long you have to carry it for. good luck on your new house.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:42 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,552,820 times
Remember PMI is tax deductible. Right along with your mortgage interest, however my tax girl said the PMI deduction is supposedly going to expire in 2010.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:12 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,107,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Remember PMI is tax deductible. Right along with your mortgage interest, however my tax girl said the PMI deduction is supposedly going to expire in 2010.
thanks for that tip I didn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area