Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 PM

18 posts, read 39,514 times

Advertisements

We must move quickly from a home that we are renting here in California (to be sold). We have been diligently researching via the internet for areas to live and decided on Naples....we then looked at apartment complexes because at 61 and 68 years of age, my husband and I do not want to move again....we want the security of being able to stay in one place. Our needs are simple. I thought after two days on the computer I had it all worked out; even found an apartment complex we both liked. Then I read a posting that said all apartment complexes in Naples are ghettos. We do not have time on our side...in more ways then one. Is this statement true about "ghettos" in Naples. Any suggestions most appreciated. I should add we cannot afford to purchase; we must rent.

Last edited by hitting the road; 08-14-2009 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Of course not all apartment complexes in Naples are "ghetto." Naples is rich. Nouveau riche, but still, they have money, just not much taste.

There are a few bad complexes but certainly not all.

Tell us the complex and we will try to find out for you.

Welcome to City-Data.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:13 PM

"River Reach" seems reasonably priced, and would accept our Boston Terrier. Thank you Hiknapster. I did read a post where it said "south of Vaderbilt Beach Rd., and West of Airport Pulling Rd. is okay". Checked a map and this complex fits that geographical suggestion....believe me when I say I've read a lot of posts today. The address for River Reach is 20000 River Reach Dr., Naples, Fl 34104. I also looked at a site that publishes apartment reviews.......but they are so mixed for all complexes...Naples and other cities.

Last edited by hitting the road; 08-14-2009 at 11:48 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 03:57 AM

917 posts, read 2,616,118 times
I can't tell you anything about River Reach itself, but I am familiar with the neighborhood that it's in. My former employer had it's office in the industrial park just over on the West side of Airport Road. I did some work on a coworkers house on Outrigger lane. He later moved up to a waterfront home on Longboat drive and I worked on that home as well. These are nice well kept homes. I don't think my coworker would have stayed in the neighbor hood if there were any problems.
This little residential neighborhood is surrounded by commercial properties while at the same time isolated by various buffers: Swamp to the west, gulf course to the North, Airport and office park (Horse shoe drive loop) to the South.
I never went all the way back in to where River Reach is. I've seen; Long Boat Drive, Clipper Way, Outrigger Lane,the Eastern half of River Reach Drive. They all seemed OK.

I think your biggest concern here might be noise from the airport, but even then your not under the flight path of the main runway. That one is the one running SW to NE. It's a small but pretty busy airport, lots of small private jets. Gets real busy in season.
Hope this was helpful. Good Luck.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I could have sworn that River Reach was low-income housing. I took a look at their website and it doesn't say "based on income." Or at least I can't find it. It may have changed or I could be mistaken. Other than that, the area is okay.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM

Tommy, lots of information, many thanks. Hiknapster, I was intending to call the complex today and will add the question of income based, thank you again.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:38 PM

Follow up: called River Reach and they do not provide income based housing, asked about airport, and many other questions. We are going to take the plunge....gotta start some place, and the decision to go to Naples was the big one. This site has been such a great help....can only hope once we are settled I can help others here too.....moving is never easy but you all made it a little easier for us.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Maybe I can help, but what is your price range? What size unit? Why Naples? Furnished or unfurnished? You were very general, so it is difficult to suggest a place to live without knowing why you are choosing a specific location.

River Reach is not an apartment complex I would suggest for seniors. I don't know who used the term "ghetto" because Naples has very few minorities, although what your neighbors look like shouldn't matter if they're nice people. There are a few places I know that are called "affordable housing" and are based on income.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:55 PM

917 posts, read 2,616,118 times
Hi, this is Mrs. Tommy-105. He asked me about River Reach Apartments. As a former Law Enforcement employee in Naples, I would not recommend River Reach (especially to an older couple). There have been a lot of arrests of residents for drugs, etc. I have heard from residents that there is an issue with residents themselves being noisy, throwing noisy parties, etc. The complex is located on the north border of the airport and many complain of the jet noise, especially in "Season" when the private jets are taking off and landing constantly.

If you are worried about "ghetto" (Section 8) apartment complexes in Naples, avoid Carver, River Park and Gordon River complexes in the area of Goodlette and 5th Ave. N. in the city.

Keep in mind that Naples is a BEAUTIFUL place to live and has the second highest per capita income in the country but the cost of living is very very high there and there are really only two classes...the "haves" and the "have very littles". Most of the "littles" work in service industries working for the very wealthy. Not all of the money in Naples is "Nouveau"-there are some very old wealthy northeastern industrial families in Naples. Those families have been coming to Naples since the early 1900s.

If you are coming to Florida without prior knowledge, there are many more affordable communities you could choose. If you are on a fixed, limited income, you may find Naples a bit tough to handle. We left Naples for just that reason and relocated two counties north in Charlotte county. The cost of living is much more affordable and the "snob factor" so prevalent in Naples does not exist here. We have found it a very friendly, small town atmosphere.

We both wish you luck.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Hi, this is Mrs. Tommy-105. He asked me about River Reach Apartments. As a former Law Enforcement employee in Naples, I would not recommend River Reach (especially to an older couple). There have been a lot of arrests of residents for drugs, etc. I have heard from residents that there is an issue with residents themselves being noisy, throwing noisy parties, etc. The complex is located on the north border of the airport and many complain of the jet noise, especially in "Season" when the private jets are taking off and landing constantly.
Funny, we were both posting at the same time and wrote that River Reach is not a place for retired folks. It's always been considered to be a little "rowdy." The worst place I ever visited was an apartment complex off of Bayshore. The cops were always there because of a domestic disturbance or drug problem.

I agree with you about Naples. I really like Naples, but it's unaffordable unless I want to struggle the rest of my life.

Since this is a Fort Myers/Naples forum, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to mention where I'm staying on the east coast. I lived in the Naples area for many years until a couple of months ago. You can get an annual lease in a beautiful condo overlooking a golf course in an over 55 community in Vero Beach for less than a dump in Naples. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area