Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitting the road View Post
You guys are wonderful....you'll never know how much I appreciate all your input. The biggest turn off on FL for us was the lack of good reviews on medical care....TN...do you hear us? It must have been very difficult for you, but you found what you needed in TN. We were so in favor of FL, but nothing can deter a person as much as the overall tone of the postings on the FL forum. We have limited funds, and with 3 rescued pets...a bit of a deterent to landlords....so we now look to NH for the second state on our list (TN is next)...tax breaks are the driving force....knowing landlords will reflect high property taxes back on renters...we have no complaint with that.....but, we still can look at no sales tax.....our spending is limited, but every break is positive. We do not have the luxurry of time or finances to make our search prolonged....we have lived in Tucson, and Scottsdale, AZ, Long Beach, Fountain Valley, Long Beach and Lancaster, CA, Huntsville, AL, and Wake Forest, NC. Financially we cannot afford to stay in hotels or on the road for long. We have decided to rent a winter only, furnished apt. in NH; accepting of our pets......and put our stuff in storage.... we will then take our time checking out the northeast and southeast. Winters can be difficult in NE, but as far as CA goes.....it's cold people vs.cold weather.....liberalism to the extreme vs. independent thinking.....sound fiscal policy vs. accomodation to such a degree that the state is going bankrupt....on and on and on.....

Thank you all again. Florida was on the top of the list, but we get it.....not for us. Best wishes to all who posted.....

Two Beach...almost forgot to recognize your good advise. I grew up spending summers at Dennisport on the Cape...then Kennedy was elected president....as Irish American Catholics we were elated....but also watched our Cape go from our place to everyone's place.....the traffic to this day is horrific..... We also ended up with 8 melanomas between the seven siblings. Grey skies affect the Cape as well......take my word for it.....but grey skies are good....you turn to books and music.......no place is perfect....but we are storing our possesions, as you suggested...........and will go forth......by to FL.....but, onward!
And you probably made the right choice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitting the road View Post
You guys are wonderful....you'll never know how much I appreciate all your input. The biggest turn off on FL for us was the lack of good reviews on medical care....TN...do you hear us? It must have been very difficult for you, but you found what you needed in TN. We were so in favor of FL, but nothing can deter a person as much as the overall tone of the postings on the FL forum. We have limited funds, and with 3 rescued pets...a bit of a deterent to landlords....so we now look to NH for the second state on our list (TN is next)...tax breaks are the driving force....knowing landlords will reflect high property taxes back on renters...we have no complaint with that.....but, we still can look at no sales tax.....our spending is limited, but every break is positive. We do not have the luxurry of time or finances to make our search prolonged....we have lived in Tucson, and Scottsdale, AZ, Long Beach, Fountain Valley, Long Beach and Lancaster, CA, Huntsville, AL, and Wake Forest, NC. Financially we cannot afford to stay in hotels or on the road for long. We have decided to rent a winter only, furnished apt. in NH; accepting of our pets......and put our stuff in storage.... we will then take our time checking out the northeast and southeast. Winters can be difficult in NE, but as far as CA goes.....it's cold people vs.cold weather.....liberalism to the extreme vs. independent thinking.....sound fiscal policy vs. accomodation to such a degree that the state is going bankrupt....on and on and on.....

Thank you all again. Florida was on the top of the list, but we get it.....not for us. Best wishes to all who posted.....

Two Beach...almost forgot to recognize your good advise. I grew up spending summers at Dennisport on the Cape...then Kennedy was elected president....as Irish American Catholics we were elated....but also watched our Cape go from our place to everyone's place.....the traffic to this day is horrific..... We also ended up with 8 melanomas between the seven siblings. Grey skies affect the Cape as well......take my word for it.....but grey skies are good....you turn to books and music.......no place is perfect....but we are storing our possesions, as you suggested...........and will go forth......by to FL.....but, onward!
Don't even bother going to NH.

I was born in Mass., and lived there for 34 years. Absolutely love New England but just too expensive.

Come to TN.

Low, low, low property tax and insurance. No one nickel and diming you to death. Nicest people I have ever met and perfect, perfect weather. And it is gorgeous here in Knoxville. Right near the Smoky Mountains.

After 43 years of misery I now live like a queen. Everyday I wake up and just can't believe it.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:51 AM

48 posts, read 121,535 times
It's people like Mrs. tommy-105 that really make this forum such an excellent site. She seems to have first hand experience and excellent background to give a credible opinions on areas she is familiar with. I'm going to send a PM to her on another area and maybe she can help my wife and I. We want to learn more about Charlotte County.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
if you are going to look into new hampshire my suggestions are this- look into west lebanon area , rents are low , hitcock hospital is in area,, major employer and AAA medical care, Dartmouth College in the area - again gives employment stability, it's close to 2 major highways and easily travel to just about anywhere.... winters will be tough. No sales tax , no income tax, everything is property taxes but rents are still pretty cheap. The other area is around Concord. you've got the state offices , a cool downtown and concord hospital is very good, has a new oncology unit. Southern new hampshire is too expensive and northern is too rural. If you go too north even winters in Mass do not compare to the artic like weather in the mountains.. mount washington is touted as having the worst weather in the world.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:50 PM

18 posts, read 39,504 times
Thank you again.....Lebanon sounds like a good deal, and we will definitlely look at that area. We have decided to spend the first year in Nashua. During that year we will take our time and look around....we may end up staying or moving a little further North.... from what you say......Lebanon certainly has a lot to offer. We took an apartment in a complex with an excellent reputation, and our two cats and one dog are welcome...that has been such a relief. We rescued the two cats from the woods when we lived in NC.....and there was no way we were giving them up......I kept eyeing the camping tent and thinking...it may come down to that...but no.....we have a new home.....we are delighted....relieved......looking forward to being with family again.....and today we sold the tent at our moving sale.....NH HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2010, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 841 times
I'm currently living in Mi.and was looking at the Fort Meyers/Naples area,however,Naples may be a bit pricey for me. Winters are getting worse each year here.. I love the water/beach, what are the chances of finding a reasonably priced condo by the ocean or waterfront in the Fort Meyers area?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:22 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
you may want to start a new thread for this

key info to get useful responses are
- price range you are thinking of paying
- kids in school?
- will you need to work?
- do you know what Florida summers are like...92 degrees with high humidity?

As a general comment, I suggest taking a long drive Boca Chica Texas down to Key West, then back on up to Charleston, to get a sense of the possibilities, in August, then in January during a cold snap. Stay for a week, then stay for month, lease for a year.

If retired, find something you particularly like to do, then figure out where to live near that activity.

It seems that SouthWest Florida is paradise if you have out of state income, like a pension, and are older. If you are younger, or have kids and can only afford public schools, or need to work, or don't tolerate heat and humidity well, you may find Florida is more of a challenge.

That being said many seem to have figured out how to do it.

If you need to work, I suggest looking at Texas which has some great beaches or at least look slightly further north, like Tampa/Orlando which is less seasonal and less oriented to the retirement economy.

If you are retired, check out the whole coast from North of St. Petes down to Marco Island. Each area has its pluses and negatives to balance. Give us more details!

check out this link

http://fgcmls.rapmls.com/scripts/mgr...4898,-N,-A,-N0

I have no financial interest in this firm...

Last edited by kroeran; 04-02-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 12:12 AM

8 posts, read 28,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Martineau View Post
I'm currently living in Mi.and was looking at the Fort Meyers/Naples area,however,Naples may be a bit pricey for me. Winters are getting worse each year here.. I love the water/beach, what are the chances of finding a reasonably priced condo by the ocean or waterfront in the Fort Meyers area?
Define reasonably priced?

Also, watch out when you read a lot of posts on here. We have a lot of angry ex-residents (i.e. people who moved away 5 years ago to TN) and angry current residents (people who hopefully will be going back to MA in, oh... 7 months). Of course, this is no different for any other area. This area is not for everyone (thank God, or everyone and their sister would live here). The boom brought a lot of angry, miserable people and the bust is taking them away.

To be honest, you really need to spend a little time and see if it is right for you. For some of us (i.e. boat constantly, have a job, do not live in the poverty bracket, have family, love heat, love the water, etc)... it is a great place. Other people, for some reason, move here on a whim and then realize they are miles inland, do not have any money to enjoy life (and no potential to make any), do not have anything in common with FL and then cry, whine and moan for years about how awful it is until they leave. I want to feel sorry for them but typically they were not forced here.

I wish you the best on your endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area