Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,061 times

Advertisements

Can anyone speak to crime and how important or not a gated community is?

I am at Paseo, in South Fort Myers. It feels very safe, but I wonder if I should be worried about the property when I am not there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:38 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post

I am at Paseo, in South Fort Myers. It feels very safe, but I wonder if I should be worried about the property when I am not there.
This is a very general question. If you talk to a person who sells security systems, he will show you several articles about break-ins at gated communities to make a sale.

The bottom line is that, for each barrier a thief has to deal with, there is a level of protection for the resident. So a gate might deter a criminal. Then, if there's a guard at that gate who asks you to check in, that is another deterrent. Also a unit on an upper level is less likely to be vandalized.

Paseo is in a safe area, but I don't live there.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM

812 posts, read 1,674,772 times
Gated communities are not immune from crime, even with a guard.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 AM

38 posts, read 128,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This is a very general question. If you talk to a person who sells security systems, he will show you several articles about break-ins at gated communities to make a sale.

The bottom line is that, for each barrier a thief has to deal with, there is a level of protection for the resident. So a gate might deter a criminal. Then, if there's a guard at that gate who asks you to check in, that is another deterrent. Also a unit on an upper level is less likely to be vandalized.

Paseo is in a safe area, but I don't live there.

It's nice to see other people 'get it'. 'Common' Thieves, like water, follow the 'path of least resistance'. The more 'obstacles' one can put in their way, the more likely they are to move on to easier pickings.

The best front line defense are 'nosy' neighbors.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 AM

38 posts, read 128,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTAce View Post
Gated communities are not immune from crime, even with a guard.

For sure. I know only one Couple who live in a 'gated' Community, and they had a bad case of 'false sense of security', like going to a neighbors home for the evening and leaving their front door open with just a Screen door, (not locked even). They were not the only ones doing it. It took a rash of Break ins to 'smarten' them up.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 12,483 times
Whatever you do , do not move to Bellasol condo's in Ft. Myers the managment loves to tow your car. They make money on each tow so it is done early in the morning to make sure you are not awake to stop them. They are unreasonable and run the place like it is a dictatorship.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:33 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewareoftogoodtobetrue View Post
Whatever you do , do not move to Bellasol condo's in Ft. Myers the managment loves to tow your car. They make money on each tow so it is done early in the morning to make sure you are not awake to stop them. They are unreasonable and run the place like it is a dictatorship.
I read somewhere that some associations get taken over by criminal elements....is this an urban myth?

Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,768,528 times
Lived and worked at a "gated community" in Bonita Springs.... In 2003 when I was there we had 9 cars STOLEN, including a new VIPER, and 14 broken into in ONE NIGHT..... Yes a gang from Imokalee came to our gated, luxury community and made a mess. One idiot smashed through the gate with a guys F250 while running from the police. For a week we found duffle bags full of car stereos, a set of Ping golf clubs, 3 wallets, cell phones, someones subwoofer box, all hidden around the edge of the property. 3 of them were caught but a few more ran off into the woods and got away. Gated communities are a joke... And we had about 5 cops living on site, one was night security, a lot of good she did. A resident saw them and called the police.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:32 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Lived and worked at a "gated community" in Bonita Springs.... In 2003 when I was there we had 9 cars STOLEN, including a new VIPER, and 14 broken into in ONE NIGHT..... Yes a gang from Imokalee came to our gated, luxury community and made a mess. One idiot smashed through the gate with a guys F250 while running from the police.
Was there a security guard at the gate? The times I've tried to get into Imperial Golf Estates, I thought the guard was going to frisk me and run a DNA test! I do agree that it's a false sense of security, but a manned gate has to be a deterrent for petty crimes.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:27 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post

Geez, if I could pick the safest areas in Lee County (besides Sanibel & Captiva) I would put your neighborhood at the top of my list. I have family in Reflection Isles and in Fiddlesticks and have not heard any crimes of significance over the past 15 years they have lived there (they lived in Cypress preserve before Reflection)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area