Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with this area of Punta Gorda? I know exactly where it is, although I've never driven around the area. It's just north of North Fort Myers, west of 41.

There are some very inexpensive NNLI homes, but I think it's in the middle of nowhere.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 05:10 AM

917 posts, read 2,614,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Anyone familiar with this area of Punta Gorda? I know exactly where it is, although I've never driven around the area. It's just north of North Fort Myers, west of 41.

There are some very inexpensive NNLI homes, but I think it's in the middle of nowhere.
Nancy, All I know is what I see when I drive down 41. It's kind of rural/industrial along there and not very attractive. There is a shopping center with a Sweat Bay supermarket right there, but that's about it.

If you head up 41 to Burnt Store Road there are some stores there, and of course Jones Loop road has the new Wamart and a lot of fast food places.

With my limited experience of the area, the only nice thing I can think of, is the fact that I-75 is right there. If someone was a commuter, that would be a plus.

Living here in Punta Gorda, we often need to drive up 41 to Port Charlotte for things that can't be found here. It would be a long haul to do the same thing from Tropical Gulf Acres.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,435 times
The middle of nowhere can be attractive to some.

About 18 months ago I did a little snooping around that area as a possible escape plan from the Cape.

The area known as TGA wasnt quite my cup of tea, but it does have a certain quaintness about it. It really isnt that far(about 7-8 miles north)from NFM, on the relatively clear flowing 41 highway. And I think, there is still a WalMart right at the south end of Punta Gorda, maybe 2-3 miles north of TGA(Or did the new WM on Jones Loop replace that one?). Also good access to Burnt Store Rd that gives a quick(est) route to the west end of the Cape.

That being said, I liked the area just a bit south and east of that, off Oil Well Rd. Large and small acreage lots available, very quiet and rural looking, prices then were reasonable, and is still away from the crazy taxes in Lee county.

The biggest drawback to that entire area south of Punta Gorda, on the east side of 41 is the Charlotte county correctional facility located off Oil Well Rd. However unlikely it may be, the thought of loved ones at home alone around there, just after an escape from that facility, is enough to grow grey hair over.

I'm not aware of there ever being any problems like that around there, but the thought was enough for me to strike it from my list of likely places to live.

Yachtcare has spoken.......

Edit: as I recall, "sheet flow" during the summer wet period can be an issue in that area as well.

Last edited by Compression; 01-22-2010 at 07:32 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
The middle of nowhere can be attractive to some.

About 18 months ago I did a little snooping around that area as a possible escape plan from the Cape.

The area known as TGA wasnt quite my cup of tea, but it does have a certain quaintness about it. It really isnt that far(about 7-8 miles north)from NFM, on the relatively clear flowing 41 highway. And I think, there is still a WalMart right at the south end of Punta Gorda, maybe 2-3 miles north of TGA(Or did the new WM on Jones Loop replace that one?). Also good access to Burnt Store Rd that gives a quick(est) route to the west end of the Cape.
That being said, I liked the area just a bit south and east of that, off Oil Well Rd. Large and small acreage lots available, very quiet and rural looking, prices then were reasonable, and is still away from the crazy taxes in Lee county.

The biggest drawback to that entire area south of Punta Gorda, on the east side of 41 is the Charlotte county correctional facility located off Oil Well Rd. However unlikely it may be, the thought of loved ones at home alone around there, just after an escape from that facility, is enough to grow grey hair over.

I'm not aware of there ever being any problems like that around there, but the thought was enough for me to strike it from my list of likely places to live.

Edit: as I recall, "sheet flow" during the summer wet period can be an issue in that area as well.
The old Walmart building on 41 is now used by this: Rick Treworgy's Muscle Car City Museum, Punta Gorda, Florida - a private collection of more than 200 high performance vehicles, primarily Chevys and General Motors cars.

I haven't checked it out.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Thanks for that! I'd heard of the place, then forgot about it.

From the pics on the site, it appears he has some old trucks there....I cannot resist. Already made plans to attend the flea mkt on the 31st.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Thanks for that! I'd heard of the place, then forgot about it.

From the pics on the site, it appears he has some old trucks there....I cannot resist. Already made plans to attend the flea mkt on the 31st.

YW, I thought you'd appreciate the info.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 AM

Thanks for your responses. I went out with a Realtor today and saw the homes. As you both wrote, it's very rural, but way off of 41, about half way between 41 and Burnt Store Rd. It was very quiet, but also isolated. I don't know if there was a fire or a planned burning, but the trees reminded me of a scene from a scary movie. I'm not interested, but I saw a very cute house listed for only $64,000. I only looked at it for something temporary that I could rent out later. I mean, where else can you buy a new 1,200 s.f. house with a garage for $60K? Just not sure it would be a good investment although it's new (never lived in) has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen, living room & 1 car garage. No place for a dining table unless you stick a small one in the living room.

Quote:

Thank you! I already decided against the area, but you just reinforced my decision. I'm a "mature" single woman who isn't strong enough to fight off a cold, never mind a convict.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:57 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Honestly, it always scared me. Reminded me of a place you could die in and no one would know for months on end. Now, this was '06/'07, so maybe it has some more human habitat since then but I found it very "unique".

Yet, it had a beauty to it that reminded me of field problems in the Army where we'd be in the middle of nowhere but not really but due to the terrain, it felt that way & there was a strange peace to it all. And at Fort Benning, GA, there was planned burning, so I wonder if the same happened there?

A lot of streets that have nothing on them minus a sign with a name.

I am going to assume it draws a very specific customer that doesn't need running water or speak to other humans on a regular basis.

That was never my favorite part of PG; once you pass Burnt Store Meadows I think there is nothing appealing.

I just read your last post & we looked there for the same reason...price...then we realized...ahh, yes, there is a reason for that price. And I would absolutely be terrified at night there as I have young children. So, no, Nancy, don't think that is the place for you!!!

I also found BSV to be a HUGE dissapointment and found Burnt Store Road straight out dangerous.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I just read your last post & we looked there for the same reason...price...then we realized...ahh, yes, there is a reason for that price. And I would absolutely be terrified at night there as I have young children. So, no, Nancy, don't think that is the place for you!!!

I also found BSV to be a HUGE dissapointment and found Burnt Store Road straight out dangerous.
I like seclusion, but I agree that Tropical Gulf Acres is not for me. By the way, they do have running water and electricity! Some of the houses are very nice.

I drove by a new home in North Port that was the only house on the street! I actually like homes on streets with no lights, but I'd have to stop watching shows like Criminal Minds. I guess there is some advantage to having neighbors within screaming distance.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Eww. This turned into a creepy thread. That is, until I clicked on that car link. Wow! Incredible! I wonder if they have a late 1950s station wagon. I'd love a Nomad, but I don't have $50,000. I'm looking for June Cleaver's car. I bought a mid-century house in a Leave it to Beaver neighborhood. All I need is June's car and possibly Ward Cleaver, too to complete the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area