Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:25 AM

455 posts, read 979,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Why do you think in many cities they roll up the sidewalks at night? It's so people won't drive on them!
Considering what just happened in Naples, your comment couldn't have been more timely!

Let's just hope THAT one gets some serious time behind bars too!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:05 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
It's ironic...in my long life here in Florida, some of the worst social climbing, money grubbing, back stabbing, unethical people operated under the guise of "Christian". It amuses me to see a business advertise itself as "Christian". Considering my experience with "Christians", it makes those the last businesses I would ever consider.
Funny, I see the same thing, it seems that "christians" or religious types seem to be the MOST hypocritical people I have ever met. And church is nothing more (to most of them), than a place to meet business associates and customers.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:07 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,184 times
Quote:
From the persepective of a non-Christian, it implies that only "Christians" can behave with kindness, charity, politeness and ethics. It also implies that only people who happen to believe in your particular brand of mythology know how to behave.

It's ironic...in my long life here in Florida, some of the worst social climbing, money grubbing, back stabbing, unethical people operated under the guise of "Christian". It amuses me to see a business advertise itself as "Christian". Considering my experience with "Christians", it makes those the last businesses I would ever consider.
This made me laugh since my DH and I have had experiences like that. Whenever we saw someone advertising that (Christian) we knew to hang onto our wallets, lol. Real Christians don't need to advertise they just walk the walk.

And although they don't advertise that way there are some Amish that you need to watch too. They think if you are dumb enough to buy something without doing your due diligence then it's not their job to tell you what's wrong with it. The Golden Rule? Not so much.

Not stereotypes on either of the above, actual experiences

Old 12-29-2009, 12:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I will never know why people were ruder in swFlorida than they were in other areas that I lived in. I've had lots of theories, but I've never really been sure. However, I now live in a neighborhood full of elderly people, in Knoxville, TN. GREAT folks. So it is not the age issue, I guess.

I understand what the OP meant by "Christian-like." I'm sure he/she didn't mean to be offensive. Of course, it is, though. Sorry, but it implies that Jews, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, etc. are, by default, not nice people.

Pulling the "here we go with the politically correct" card means that people are ticked off that they can't get away with business as usual. New day, new way.

But to get back to the OP's question, yes, there are lots and lots and lots of great elderly people all over this world. I have no idea why there are a lot of rude folks in Lee and Collier Counties. I suspect it had more to do with where they came from and their upbringing than it did with age.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:34 PM

283 posts, read 652,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Old people are rude, because they think they are entitled to certain treatment, because they are old. The most annoying thing I notice is old people in grocery stores, at the time of day when working people have to go, standing, staring at you or crawling up your tail while you try and shop, it makes me so aggravated when grandma sue, decked out in bingo garb decides she needs to shove her way between me and the cold case to get her butter. Then two rows down she can't decide on which high-fiber cereal to buy while she blocks the whole aisle

Sorry you feel that way about old people. Since you live in an area with lots of snow birds, you may want to consider relocating. Life is too short to be unhappy. People in big cities like New York tend to be more suspicious of people than residents of little towns are. If someone says hello to you in a big city most people expect a sales pitch or a request for money. Life in a place like New York City is hard and people really have to hustle to make a living. Driving is almost impossible and people become very aggressive. Many of the snow birds come from up north having lived in big cities. They are the way they are, not because they are old but because of the way they have had to live to get by. They can be rude and drive like crazy people. Most of them do not even know that they are offending anyone. Just my two cents on the subject.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:16 PM

455 posts, read 979,148 times
Your story doesn't wash. DH is from NY and is one of the most mannerly, soft-spoken people I have ever met (if he didn't call this place "Florider", you would think he was raised in the deep south. I have to agree with hiknapster. It's not where you're from, it's how you're raised.

BTW: I have witnessed more obnoxious behavior from Midwesterners than New Yorkers.

New Yorkers also don't have the corner on suspicion. Take a trip through Appalachia, you'll be spotted from 50 yards as being an "outsider" and it will take a long time for the residents to accept you.

Why should WE have to relocate? We were here first. We have certain standards of behavior and if you want to be accepted here, you need to leave behind the "aggression, rudeness and crazy driving" at the state line.

Last edited by MrsTommy; 12-29-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman650 View Post
Sorry you feel that way about old people. Since you live in an area with lots of snow birds, you may want to consider relocating. Life is too short to be unhappy. People in big cities like New York tend to be more suspicious of people than residents of little towns are. If someone says hello to you in a big city most people expect a sales pitch or a request for money. Life in a place like New York City is hard and people really have to hustle to make a living. Driving is almost impossible and people become very aggressive. Many of the snow birds come from up north having lived in big cities. They are the way they are, not because they are old but because of the way they have had to live to get by. They can be rude and drive like crazy people. Most of them do not even know that they are offending anyone. Just my two cents on the subject.

Perhaps they can move away as I am pretty sure I'm staying, what with being 7th generation Florida Cracker and all.... The driving is almost worse than the **** poor attitudes. Wait til someone is close, pull out and go slow, then brake check and wave your hands at the person you cut off. Road rage should be legal, some of these idiots just need a little bump draft. I hate to tell you, but they can amend their ways easier than I can be expected to uproot my life and move. It is NOT difficult to be a decent, caring, kind human being, millions of us do it every day.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:25 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
What is offensive about describing someone as "Christian-like?" If one isnt a Christian, that's fine, but when describing someone else, why is that offensive?
my advice is to report the comments on your posting to Frank, and see how he responds

I will also direct your attention to "My Settings" on the top left, "Edit Ignore List"

Last edited by kroeran; 12-29-2009 at 04:49 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Your story doesn't wash. DH is from NY and is one of the most mannerly, soft-spoken people I have ever met (if he didn't call this place "Florider", you would think he was raised in the deep south. I have to agree with hiknapster. It's not where you're from, it's how you're raised.

perhaps your husband is the exception that proves the rule that MOST NYers are rude, arrogant ***MOD CUT***.. but that's just from my personal experiences

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 12-29-2009 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: rude post-infraction given

Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
My first inclination when this thread started was to delete it, because the question lends itself to being quite troll-like.
Then I read the first post, and thought that perhaps the OP was sincere in his question, so I left it. It seems like I should have gone through with my first impression.

Let's see. In one thread, we managed on bashing old people, christians, NY'ers, etc,etc......

First, I must remind some posters here to please watch their language.

Second, I'm sure the poster who first used the term, "christian-like" did not mean to offend. The fact is that most service based organizations like the Red Cross, salvation Army, etc,etc, were christian based, and if looked at like that, the term is factual and not offensive.
When studying other world religions, (and I have), the roots of Christianity are more service based then other religions. Most other religions are more self based.

I found it sadly interesting the perceptions of many to christian businesses, etc. I too have been burned by those who profess to be christians. No one is perfect, but I firmly believe that a true christian walks it before he talks it, and by that sincere way of living, earns the respect of those he interacts with.

I profess to be a christian. I do not advertise it on my car, etc. I do not advertise it in my business. I try my best to walk it. When asked, I can enjoy a great debate on any aspect of religion, theistic epistemology, etc.......but never in an offensive way.

As many of you already know, I'm also a lifelong NY'er. But just like Florida, New York is a big state, and I'm from western NY, outside of Buffalo, close to Canada. We are rural. I own acreage. I dislike big cities.

Bottom line.....let's stop judging people in groups. Not all NY'ers are rude. Not all Christians are hypocrites, etc. Old people are not all the same....Just like all young people are not disrespectful, insolent, sproiled brats.

I've met some really dishonest car mechanics......but I still think it is a good idea to keep my car running well. I've met some pretty poor excuses for Christians, but for me, that is a reflection of that person, NOT the faith they claim to profess.

Oh well.....sorry for the long post. I'm just a Christian old person from NY.....freezing right now because I've snowblowed my driveway twice today and it is 12 degrees right now. So lets all just get along......and for all you Floridians....thank God you are there and not up here freezing.....

Carry on...........(for now). While you guys chill, I gotta go make some hot chocolate and warm up.........

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area