Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:45 AM

374 posts, read 796,098 times

Advertisements

I just got done furnishing my entire town home with everything. American Signature is really cheap... may be a little on the lower end as far as quality, but I found the dinette set that I purchased to be surprisingly well constructed. Bedroom sets I got from "craigslist" If you have time and a truck, this is the BEST way to get furniture. I found that the best sets come from homes in Naples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Yes, I was just on the Rooms To Go site. Nice packages and we will need the TV's. Wonder if they ever offer no interest financing?

I'm not laughing at you, but the reason your question is funny is that Rooms To Go used to offer such long no interest terms, I used to joke about it. "No payments until Armageddon."

Seriously, you can currently buy furniture and not pay any interest until 2013. Just make the monthly payments on time. Of course you'll have to pay the 6% sales tax and the delivery charge at the time of sale.

I sold new furniture for years and worked in a few upscale stores where people would spend $30,000 for a living room set. I know it's more work, but right now the best place to look for furniture is on Craig's List and the Naples Daily News. So many people are moving. In Dec I stayed in a beautiful home in a gated community in North Naples. When I learned that most of the furniture was used, including the 60" TV, I was very surprised. I thought the homeowner spent a fortune.

To give you an idea of what I mean, I just saw a 7 piece living room on Craig's List in Naples for $850. Here (http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/fuo/1572174794.html - broken link) Someone on Marco has a new leather sofa for $450. If I already had my house, I'd be down to buy this dining room (http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/fuo/1571600211.html - broken link) set!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,082 times
Quote:
Stores see a windfall of high-end used furniture

March 10, 2009
"The influx of furniture at resale shops is coming mostly from people who were laid off or lost their homes to foreclosure and have liquidated their belongings to stay afloat."

"A store owner in North Port said she hears sad stories from sellers who cannot pay for food, let alone scrape together enough for rent or a mortgage."

“It’s coming from low-income and once high-income families,” said Karen Taylor, owner of 2nd Chance Home Furnishings at 14528 Tamiami Trail.
“People lost good jobs, and it’s affecting everybody.”
Some people are selling furniture they bought only recently and will take any cash payment for it, Taylor said.

Stores see a windfall of high-end used furniture | HeraldTribune.com

Old 01-27-2010, 06:30 AM

206 posts, read 449,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
Our issue is we don't have a truck and I doubt these places will deliver.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:37 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
That is our situation too. No truck available (my small GMC Sonoma is sitting in NJ). No one to really help this 60-year-old wrestle it around. Etc.

Now there is a business for someone with a truck. Broker used furniture deals between sellers and buyers and deliver same.....

Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
There are plenty of people who do this for a living. Lifting furniture is hard work, so of course you have to pay for the service. I worked at a couple of outlet stores that did not offer delivery, but used private movers. They weren't cheap, however. Moving furniture is back breaking, especially when you're talking about armoires or other heavy pieces. I tried to sell my sleep sofa in June and couldn't even give it to Goodwill because of its weight. I found someone who needed it and he came with 3 other men! They took it out like 4 pallbearers.

One problem when you hire someone from Craig's List (and there are plenty of people who need work) is he might not be insured if the furniture is damaged. However, there are plenty of people who will take $20 to move something if you furnish the truck. When I sold my pillow top mattress, the women rented a UHaul for $19.95 and I got some neighbors to help them load it into the truck.

I imagine there are a lot of very strong construction workers and former furniture movers who are looking for work. I can list several stores in Naples (some with multiple locations) that closed in the past 3 years including Spectrum, Rhodes, Norris & Browns Interiors.

Now, I didn't say this http://bestsmileys.com/whisper/1.gif (broken link) but if there's a way you can talk to a delivery person at a store in private....

Everyone probably rolls their eyes when I tell my little stories, but here are 2.

Story #1 - Way back before fire was discovered, I got married. Anyway, my parents wanted to give me a nice wedding, but we weren't wealthy and my Mom insisted I wear a pretty, white wedding dress. (after all, I was a virgin at 24.) We were looking at gowns in a small bridal shoppe and, while we were gasping from sticker shock, one of the women heard my mother say "I wish your sister's gown fit you." She quietly told us that she would be happy to take a look at it in her home. She completely redesigned it for $50 dollars, probably $200 in today's world.

Story #2 - I was in Circuit City in Fort Myers way back in 1994 or 95. I needed a TV set. Yes, I hate to admit it, but that was a staple for me, along with food & water. LOL (well, now we have the internet!) Late on a Sunday afternoon as I was ready to buy a 25" RCA, I learned they were booked for at least a week. As I was leaving, I smiled at a man in customer service and said "Well, I guess I won't be watching TV this week..." and we began chatting. He said he had a van and would deliver it for $20. I was happy to pay him and gave him gas money too. It was closing time, so he ran around trying to find a register that was still open and one of the salespeople was more than happy to ring it up. Back then they worked on commission.

Last edited by justNancy; 01-27-2010 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area