Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:09 PM

9 posts, read 17,454 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to this area. I have a cleaning service and want to know how saturated the area is with this type of work. Any input welcome~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 06:13 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,729 times
I don't live in Ft. Myers anymore, but I do have an elderly Aunt who lives there.....and yes, you should do fine there....lots of elderly people with money.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:22 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
It depends. You definitely would need to build a customer base. Word of mouth helps, but do you have the money to spend on advertising?

There are franchises like MaidPro, Molly Maid, Merry Maids, Royal Maid, etc. So you definitely will have competition. I worked for one of the aforementioned companies in customer service, which is why I know the various names.

He told me he gets a lot of business. Since the economy is so bad here now, I'm sure one thing people are cutting back on are these extra services, but there's also a lot of wealth in SWFL. You just need to get the word out that you work hard and are willing to go the extra mile. Also, are you insured? People always asked me that question. I don't know if you need a license, but usually a business needs to acquire a license and be bonded. Check with the Lee County Clerk's office to find out if you need a business license or fictitious name. They're not difficult to get and usually cost about $25. (from my experience)

Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 PM

I have been cleaning for 10 years. and have excelent references.. but I clean on my own! I do not have employees and I am not bonded or Insured. Would this be nessary?

Old 02-27-2010, 07:10 PM

Sorry about the spelling.. should use spell check.... my bad

Old 02-27-2010, 07:14 PM

My parents live on Marco Island so I would like to aquire cleaning clientel in that area also.i will be relocateing from Wisconsin...can you give me a hint as to some good areas to advertise?

Old 02-27-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajo38 View Post
Sorry about the spelling.. should use spell check.... my bad
You can use the "edit" button if you want to fix a word. However, we all read typo here. I don't know all the rules. I'm only saying that many people only want to hire people who are bonded. Anyway, "license & insured" sounds so much better on your cards and it would be unethical & dishonest to lie about it. I'm not talking about an expensive state license like a Real Estate license or an Insurance license. It's not expensive to get a business license. It also protects you from being sued. I'm not an attorney, so you should probably ask someone with a little more knowledge. I carry E&O but I'm in a different field. When you're dealing with the public, it's best to protect yourself from liability. Just a suggestion. If you've been doing this for 10 years, you probably have a lot more knowledge about this than I do.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajo38 View Post
My parents live on Marco Island so I would like to aquire cleaning clientel in that area also.i will be relocateing from Wisconsin...can you give me a hint as to some good areas to advertise?
Marco has about 40 to 50% snowbirds so your business will probably suffer in the summer unless you travel off the island.

Naples Daily News lets you advertise for free online. (Not sure about business services. I only sold some furniture) You can just make fliers and hand them out to people if you're aggressive enough. Many people are going to look in the Yellow Pages, use a coupon they got in the mail or ask a friend. Since you will be working inside someone's house, I just assumed they'd want references and proof of insurance. I wouldn't let a stranger in my house (that is, if I had one!) without checking her out first.

How about taking the time to go to the various real estate agencies and introduce yourself? You can contact property managers and ask if they use a cleaning service. If they do, maybe they'll give you a try if they're not under contract. It's going to be tough at first. You can also visit the local businesses, although they usually don't like solicitors. Still, if your parents live on the island, that might help you get past the front door with the proper introduction.

The economy is terrible right now and I know a couple of people who who were working in stores and had other businesses and are now cleaning homes & doing odd jobs for people.

Last edited by justNancy; 02-27-2010 at 07:30 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 04:42 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,729 times
I own my own cleaning service in NC....although I am bonded and insured, no one ever even brings that up, so I think they couldn't really care less.....and many people hire cleaners who are illegals to get the cheap clean....
I would get bonded at least...here it cost me $100 per year....it may help you bring in customers. Here there is no license for cleaning services...but check your area.
Also go to the Court House and get a DBA (Doing Business As) and file your business name...I would go with something that would grab customer's attention.....in that area, something like *All American Cleaning* would be awesome and I think would get you alot of calls......you can post ads on Craigslist....but make them interesting, add pics of before and after work you've done...etc.
Vistaprint.com is great for business cards...250 free, you just pay shipping.
Hope that info helps you out!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:56 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The economy is terrible right now and I know a couple of people who who were working in stores and had other businesses and are now cleaning homes & doing odd jobs for people.

Nancy's entire post is right on the money. The last sentence is particularly telling.

A lot of my business in the past has been Sanibel. If those folks know and trust you, you're golden. They'll find things for you to do, rather than risk "losing" you to someone else. If they dont know you, you had better come with a glowing reference from someone they do know.

The second thing to consider is the game of "service musical chairs" going on here lately. Everyone that has never done what you do, is willing to do it for less than you do, because someone else is doing the same to them.

As Nancy mentioned, I know of folks that were in successful businesses that are now doing cooking and cleaning chores for prior regular customers. They replaced the ones that did those chores before, but have moved down, out, up, or on recently. But they have a familiar face, and style that the homeowner is comfortable with.

I sat down a week or so back, and figured out where my income was coming from this year so far. (NHKev has me on an analysis bend)Speaking in approximate terms, 90% is coming from the same customers, but 80% is from doing things I "normally" wouldnt do. (Rebuilding a dock, servicing boat lifts, pressure washing fences, re sealing a driveway, detailing cars, anything for a buck!) NO, I'm not advertising, just telling it like it is.

Shajo38, I think you'll find work, but getting started will be the tough nut to crack at first. IMHO, when that first opportunity comes along, treat it as a make it or break it situation. And do all you can to get the customer to spread the "good word". It is that "good word" that will make you a success in this environment.

YC.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area