Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 9,183 times

Advertisements

Okay, I live in Massachusetts but am doing business & living part time in Florida. I am in MA more than 6 months out of the year. My license is from MA, and my car is registered in MA.

I need a Florida ID card to get checks cashed & for other business purposes in FL.

Does anyone know if I can get a FL Identification card (NOT a drivers license) but still keep my MA drivers license valid?

I can't seem to get a straight answer from the registry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 05:48 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
yes, it's just a state issued ID, and if they ask if you have a DL somewhere else, tell them no

Old 04-02-2010, 06:44 PM

111 posts, read 287,334 times
If you have a passport, that would be more useful to you since it is recognized worldwide

Just sayin....

Old 04-02-2010, 11:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
yes, it's just a state issued ID, and if they ask if you have a DL somewhere else, tell them no
So you are telling someone to commit a crime? From the DMV site:

"Giving false information on an application for a driver license or identification card is a third degree felony which may result in arrest, and includes a one-year suspension of the driving privilege."

[URL="http://www.dmv.com/fl/florida/apply-id-card"][/URL]

Old 04-03-2010, 06:29 AM

I have never filled out an application, they always fill it out for me, nor have I ever been asked if I have a DL in any other state, but yes, I am. If he needs a state ID, and not a DL, it should not be a problem

Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Amazing. Well, I am sure that the fine poster from Mass (just Nancy and I are from there, too) will tell the truth when he gets to the DMV and they will offer their assistance. For 48 years I have told the truth and it has always, always been to my benefit. In this instance, once again, it will be the best choice because they WILL run you in their little handy-dandy computer and it will tell them the truth, anyway.

When you get there, if they don't know, they will get a supervisor and if necessary, someone above that person. When I got my license in Orlando there was an issue with my married name and not having marriage or divorce papers; just my MA license and my birth certificate and social security card. They eventually called the head of the regional DMV and I got my license.

No one is going to send you away with the "I don't know" answer.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:54 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
DANGER! DANGER! Will Robinson.......

Keep in mind that as of January 1, 2010 all of the laws regarding obtaining a DL in the state of FL have changed. It is now a requirement to show your actual social security card, and a certified copy of certificate of birth to obtain a DL in the state. Even for renewals as far as I have been made aware. I suspect this extends to "ID cards" as well, since it is a state issued ID.

Call the local DMV, and get the most current information from the horses mouth, before you put yourself in hot water.......and start fielding questions from "homeland security"....... they are taking these things more and more seriously these days.

YC.......

Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 AM

Certainly, HK, you are the only good-hearted person here, well, you and the others from Mass. Let us all note that the OP wants an ID and NOT a secondary drivers' license. We all know that local Floridians are a bunch of lying scumbags. Why not put it in bold letters? Simple fact is, if they don't ask, don't tell them. If they ask, all you are getting is a state ID, to prove your address and residency to be able to cash checks. Soon enough someone will come up with a crazy idea of national ID's that can be accepted everywhere, if we're going to begin standardizing things in this country, why let the local governments capitalize on drivers' licenses too?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:29 AM

917 posts, read 2,616,118 times
With the implementation of the Real ID Act in Florida, things are very different now.

REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Quote:
(6) d) Other Requirements.--To meet the requirements of this section, a
State shall adopt the following practices in the issuance of drivers'
licenses and identification cards:

(1) Employ technology to capture digital images of identity
source documents so that the images can be retained in
electronic storage in a transferable format.
(2) Retain paper copies of source documents for a minimum of
7 years or images of source documents presented for a minimum of
10 years.
(3) Subject each person applying for a driver's license or
identification card to mandatory facial image capture.
(4) Establish an effective procedure to confirm or verify a
renewing applicant's information.
(5) Confirm with the Social Security Administration a social
security account number presented by a person using the full
social security account number. In the event that a social
security account number is already registered to or associated
with another person to which any State has issued a driver's
license or identification card, the State shall resolve the
discrepancy and take appropriate action.
(6) Refuse to issue a driver's license or identification
card to a person holding a driver's license issued by another
State without confirmation that the person is terminating or has
terminated the driver's license.

(7) Ensure the physical security...
http://epic.org/privacy/id-cards/real_id_act.pdf

Last edited by tommy-105; 04-04-2010 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-04-2010, 03:31 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
When I got my new Florida Drivers license last month they cut my old NY license in half! But the whole process was easy, if you just follow the rules on their website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area