Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 AM

681 posts, read 884,652 times

Advertisements

"We are in desperate financial condition in this city, and to spend that kind of money would have been just ludicrous," he said.

After 8 1/2 hours of discussion, the city of Cape Coral, early Tuesday morning rejected a proposal to build an Olympic-caliber swim and tennis center.

NSCC is asking the city to donate 170 acres of land, which it estimates is worth about $4 million, and provide $22.3 million in site improvements and $5 million in cash, according to city officials and NSCC documents.

"I will not to agree to any of that," said Councilman Chris Chulakes-Leetz. "For a company that doesn't have a dime to its name to come and expect us to put up $5 million, I'm not going jeopardize our reserves or employees who may have to be laid off. I've reached point where I am insulted."

Florida city rejects Austin group's swim center proposal
Cape Coral council votes down proposed swim center | news-press.com | The News-Press

Old 04-28-2010, 09:38 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Cape Coral is not in desperate financial condition. This is another ridiculous and inflammatory thread. If the council approved the swim center that would have been a catastrophe. They voted against it and it is still a catastrophe.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Keep the blinders on.... But if you lived in the cape 5 years ago like I did, it was A LOT different, much better looking and much better place to live than now, sorry, but it is true.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Wow, Chris. First time I have ever disagreed with you. Ever.

I think the Cape looks a heck of a lot better than it did five years ago. Then again, I didn't like the look of a bunch of crazed investors with wild eyes running people off the road to get to their next conquest. I could see the disaster unfurling.

Now, most of them are gone.

And some of the trees grew.

The title of this thread is sensationalistic. The real headlines are accurate. And good move on The Cape's part. Let's hope they are on a roll.

Sorry, but running around on this forum telling people not to buy in 2007 and 2008 was a very kind, and thankless thing. You are all welcome.

But twisting good things into bad is ridiculous. They voted down a bad project not insured that the area is doomed. Cut me a break. I smell agenda.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 PM

Hik, I agree there must be some sort of agenda, but what is it? Tearing down a city you don't like helps who? At first I thought residents didn't want new people moving in to compete for scarce jobs. Then I thought maybe they were angry because they lost money during the downturn. Years ago they may have warning of impending problems. But now, with real estate stabilizing and still reading so many negative posts I am thinking some of these posters are just nuts.
To me Cape Coral is no Eden, but it is a nice town with weather that I like, great boating, beaches and shopping and good health care. Mostly it is very affordable. For those who don't like it, leave or be proactive to make improvements.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Then I thought maybe they were angry because they lost money during the downturn. Years ago they may have warning of impending problems. But now, with real estate stabilizing and still reading so many negative posts I am thinking some of these posters are just nuts.
It definitely is not because they are upside-down, or lost money and are angry. There were a bunch of snakes on here a couple of years ago, and before, that would tell folks anything they wanted to hear just to get them to move to The Cape. It was sickening. Anyone that listened to them probably lost a lot of money.

Now, I think that they are either fed up, can't find a job, just don't seem to like it or are trying to get prices lower. I really do.

Mike P, you floored me. I hadn't thought of that.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Sounds plausible. It's so sinister I never thought about it.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Hik, I agree there must be some sort of agenda, but what is it? Tearing down a city you don't like helps who? At first I thought residents didn't want new people moving in to compete for scarce jobs. Then I thought maybe they were angry because they lost money during the downturn. Years ago they may have warning of impending problems. But now, with real estate stabilizing and still reading so many negative posts I am thinking some of these posters are just nuts.
To me Cape Coral is no Eden, but it is a nice town with weather that I like, great boating, beaches and shopping and good health care. Mostly it is very affordable. For those who don't like it, leave or be proactive to make improvements.
Some of the people here have been bad mouthing the Cape since way before the burst. I for one still like CC. Sure it has problems but I still think it is a nice and safe place to live.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Some of the people here have been bad mouthing the Cape since way before the burst. I for one still like CC. Sure it has problems but I still think it is a nice and safe place to live.
Yes. Like me. Some people can put things together and see what's coming. It's why we moved out in October 2005.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:10 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wow, Chris. First time I have ever disagreed with you. Ever.

I think the Cape looks a heck of a lot better than it did five years ago. Then again, I didn't like the look of a bunch of crazed investors with wild eyes running people off the road to get to their next conquest. I could see the disaster unfurling.

Now, most of them are gone.

And some of the trees grew.

The title of this thread is sensationalistic. The real headlines are accurate. And good move on The Cape's part. Let's hope they are on a roll.

Sorry, but running around on this forum telling people not to buy in 2007 and 2008 was a very kind, and thankless thing. You are all welcome.

But twisting good things into bad is ridiculous. They voted down a bad project not insured that the area is doomed. Cut me a break. I smell agenda.
Well, what I meant is it had a lot more jobs available, no houses with 3 foot tall grass. Not as many empty store fronts. It is a lot different now with way less traffic(a huge plus), less obnoxious people there. Thecape is suffering from the economy, but not from greedy investors anymore. i told my wife yesterday if we are to stay here(IF) I want to get a job where I work INSIDE, and I will go back to the cape. Cheaper to live there. I am not telling people not to live there. It is just a lot different there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area