Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 06:20 PM

455 posts, read 978,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
The Huffington Post was ranting about the Swine flu when The healthcare bill was being debated. Now they are ranting about this oil spill as the debate begins on the Cap and Trade bill. They were wrong then and hopefully are wrong again.

Of course your site hosted by O'Brien's Pier Systems, the Oil Industry spin doctors, is a much more reliable source? You really should check out who you're quoting.

"PIER Systems, Inc. services major oil and energy companies such as BP International, Tesoro Corporation, Shell, Marathon Oil Corporation, Enbridge, Valero Energy Corporation and Ameren."

Last edited by MrsTommy; 05-17-2010 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I've noticed something about people in general and Americans in particular-as long as a disaster isn't affecting them personally, they really couldn't care less.
I'm an American and I can tell you that for the majority of Americans, I think, that is true. In fact, as long as anything doesn't affect them, they don't care.

As long as I live, I will never, ever forget that one newsclip of that senior citizen, with the cross around her neck, complaining about the government getting their hands on her Medicare and also asking why she should care about people that don't have health insurance.

Oh, and corporate America counts on those selfish, ignorant people and they have yet to let them down.

I usually don't respond to these sort of threads because it is useless. There are too many people that get their revised news and history through chain e-mails.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:58 AM

376 posts, read 910,605 times
The local stations here in Ft Myers have the following as breaking news ~ not good:

Tarballs reported at Key West beach; surveys continue Tuesday

Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
Of course your site hosted by O'Brien's Pier Systems, the Oil Industry spin doctors, is a much more reliable source? You really should check out who you're quoting.

"PIER Systems, Inc. services major oil and energy companies such as BP International, Tesoro Corporation, Shell, Marathon Oil Corporation, Enbridge, Valero Energy Corporation and Ameren."
What is my site?

Old 05-18-2010, 05:25 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
Teabaggers ranted & raved about the swine flu also ~ end of civilization, gloom & doomers, etc etc ~ maybe they can find common ground with the folks @ the Huffington Post now.
I don't know where you saw tea partiers ranting about the swine flu. The tea party is for smaller, less controlling government, less spending and less taxes. Your term for them is ignorant and disgusting.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,467 times
until the fear and hatred of government

(which is coercive and benefits public sector unions)

exceeds the fear and hatred of enterprise

(which operates under consumer choice),

the west will continue on this path,

the end of which looks like California and Greece.

generally, familiarity breeds contempt, and most individuals end up despising the sector they have worked within

the solution is to fear and embrace both enterprise and government, release the power of incentives, educate consumers regarding the power of consumer choice, and focus government on smart, results-based regulation, where there is market failure...and as this event indicates, increase oversight and regulation of the regulators, who are by human nature, incented to go native and become the coddelors of the industry they are supposed to be policing.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 AM

376 posts, read 910,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I don't know where you saw tea partiers ranting about the swine flu. The tea party is for smaller, less controlling government, less spending and less taxes. Your term for them is ignorant and disgusting.

My bad on the term for the tea party ~ if someone lets me know how to edit my post, I'll change it.

However, I stand behind the statement. Tea Party members were highly concerned about the swine flu and the connection to Mexico ~ also with a possibility of illegals bringing it over the border. There are numerous BB's online for local groups that feautured long discussions on preparing for a possible pandemic.

If the Huffington Post & tea partiers share similar points of view, this could be a good thing ~ not a negative.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,467 times
the left and the right each have separate veins of destructive hatred as well as informed productive concern

just because that flu did not become a pandemic, it does not mean there should not be serious attention and concern about the issue

just because some people use illegal immigration as an outlet for their hateful nature, it does not mean the status quo is not dangerous and unacceptable

the problem with illegal immigrants is that the US wants its cake and to eat it as well...industry wants the cheap third world wage rates and a labour supply they do not have to provide benefits for, regular folks want cheap nannies and lawn service, and politicians know this and play this game

In Canada, where we have virtually zero illegals, I would pay $1500 for a season to have my regular sized lawn prepped, mowed, and raked.

because the open border is pre-meditated and intentional, for the purpose of supporting and maintaining this third world underclass within American territory, America owns and shares responsibility for the status quo - mass expulsion would be immoral, not to mention highly disruptive to the economy, however, legitimization would trigger all illegals having the normal rights of workers, which would be very very expensive for industry, hence, the stalemate.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:18 AM

29 posts, read 57,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
the left and the right each have separate veins of destructive hatred as well as informed productive concern

just because that flu did not become a pandemic, it does not mean there should not be serious attention and concern about the issue

just because some people use illegal immigration as an outlet for their hateful nature, it does not mean the status quo is not dangerous and unacceptable

the problem with illegal immigrants is that the US wants its cake and to eat it as well...industry wants the cheap third world wage rates and a labour supply they do not have to provide benefits for, regular folks want cheap nannies and lawn service, and politicians know this and play this game

In Canada, where we have virtually zero illegals, I would pay $1500 for a season to have my regular sized lawn prepped, mowed, and raked.

because the open border is pre-meditated and intentional, for the purpose of supporting and maintaining this third world underclass within American territory, America owns and shares responsibility for the status quo - mass expulsion would be immoral, not to mention highly disruptive to the economy, however, legitimization would trigger all illegals having the normal rights of workers, which would be very very expensive for industry, hence, the stalemate.
huh?? ZERO illegals in canada?? You kidding right?
"Illegals" are not only Mexicans u kno..

"Illegal immigrants are people who are not legally permitted to live in a country. Every year, hundreds and thousands of people attempt to enter Canada illegally from Hungary, Mexico, Costa Rica, Argentina, Panama, Central America, Eastern Europe, Ireland and other countries. Both the United States and Canada face serious illegal immigration problems. Failed refugee claimants and people with expired visas are illegal immigrants. It is believed that about 8% of foreigners attempt to enter Canada illegally. Another 64,000 people (8%) have expired visas. Some people enter the country as undocumented persons because of economic reasons.As per an immigration report in 2003, the estimated number of undocumented people living in Canada is somewhere between 100,000 to 200,000. A few illegal immigrants exhaust all avenues of becoming legal and continue to live, work and contribute to Canada's economy for long. Increased security protection in United States following September 11, 2001 has also resulted in an increase in the number of illegal immigrants to Canada."

Illegal Immigration to Canada (http://ezinearticles.com/?Illegal-Immigration-to-Canada&id=410286 - broken link)

Anyhow back on (the oil spill) topic if u wish. (apologies to the thread-bearers for the minor digression )

Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
Once again, I will point out that you are WRONG. This time, I did the "difficult" math for you:

The Deepwater Horizon is leaking a little over 210,000 gallons a day. Oil Flow Rate Questioned as BP Tries 2nd Fix - CBS News

Natural seepage in the Gulf is 13,808 gallons a day. Natural Oil Slicks in the Gulf of Mexico Visible From Space

You are also WRONG about the poll numbers.

Only 46% of Americans support offshore oil drilling in this poll. CBS News Poll: Offshore Oil Drilling Support Plummets - cbs4.com (http://cbs4.com/national/gulf.oil.poll.2.1688737.html - broken link)

This poll says only 35% support it. Poll: Floridians now oppose coastal drilling after oil spill
I always enjoy posting on City-data because I know Mrs Tommy will post later and try to prove me "wrong", yet it never fails, in her zest to discredit me she always does nothing but embarrass herself with false information.

First of all, please take the time to actually READ my post!

The Deep water Horizon spill happened on April 20th. Even if I use YOUR numbers of 210,000 gal. a day leeking out, that is a total of 5,670,000 gal. (Yes I did the math, thanks for your help) Let me say again thats tragic........But, again still using YOUR numbers that natural seepage is 13,808 gal, a day (how did they come up with that oddball number) but I digress. Anyway, 13,808 gal. a day of natural oil seepage is about the same amount of oil leeked in only ONE YEAR by natural seepage as the Deepwater horizon spill has to date!! and natural oil seepage has leeked 13,808 gal. of oil into our waters since before man walked the Earth!! since the beginning of time!! since the Earth was created!! That is a number SO large that it can't be calculated! So when I said More oil is leeked into the gulf from natural seepage I was right! and again YOU are WRONG!!! AGAIN!!
Besides much of the oil, not all, is cleaned up from an oil spill, where with natural seepage, none is!

You are also WRONG about the polls too!!!! Fox polls have todays numbers at 60 percent FOR offshore drilling and 33 against (down 3 percent today)...Rassmussen is still at 58 percent FOR drilling!!!

Again I say, if you would bother to read my post, I said 63 percent of......"AMERICANS"......favor offshore drilling.....NOT 63 percent of FLORIDIANS!!!!!! Did you think the good people who post here wouldn't see through that???? The tricks you will try to pull are amazing!!

Oh, did I mention that you were WRONG AGAIN!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area