Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,415 times

Advertisements

Soon we will be relocating to Fort Wayne. We are a family of 7 and our 5 children range in age from 1 to 12. I was hoping for advice on best family friendly areas of Ft Wayne and the surrounding area. My job is on the north central side of the city. Our house budget is about 350k to 375k. Also, the children will go to Catholic school so any advise or recommendations in that regard would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:06 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,183 times
Yes that price range will get you into a very nice community or if you want land out in the country north of the city, that would be a viable option as well. Luckily for you, the northern part of the city is perhaps the fastest growing part of the city, which means more trendier restaurant options and stores. If you are looking for a good Catholic school, I've heard great reports from the Catholic school off of Wallen Road, within the city limits. I think it is called St. Vincent de Paul? I think they would feed into either Bishop Dwenger on the north side of the city as well, or the other option for high school is Bishop Luers on the south side. Both have great academic and athletic programs.

There are so many established communities within that price range on the north side of the city, and even on the outskirts of the city. There are also numerous new developments that are beginning construction within that price range as well. I think you will really enjoy Fort Wayne. Let me know if you have more questions.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,415 times
Thanks for the info. That is a good place to start more researching. I was also wondering about commute times. How is the traffic and commute into Fort Wayne? Is it better from the north in or the south etc.? Thanks again for any info!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 PM

Commute times around the city are not bad. Coming in from the north will experience longer commute times, because more people living on the north side of the city. The south portion of the city doesn't really experience rush hour traffic. There really is no such thing as bumper to bumper traffic either in Fort Wayne.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:11 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,431 times
I'm confused, is the north side of Fort Wayne now more desirable than the southwest side? If it is, that has changed since I'd lived there. Has the new Parkview Hospital caused all of the growth?

Old 01-07-2015, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 10,397 times
I would consider southwest which is Aboite Township. St. Elizabeth Ann Seton is a wonderful parish with a growing school and lots of "transplants." I understand that St. Vincent de Paul is the large parish on the northside. I am not as familiar with it.

20-25 minutes is a typical commute and that can get you across town. Fort Wayne is lovely city for a family!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I'm confused, is the north side of Fort Wayne now more desirable than the southwest side? If it is, that has changed since I'd lived there. Has the new Parkview Hospital caused all of the growth?
I would arguably say that both sides of the city are growing at a similar rate. Southwest may have a few more communities in the higher price range, however, there are numerous subdivisions out on the north side that definitely compare. It helps that Parkview just built their new regional hospital off of Dupont Road. That is spurring a lot of development.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,382 times
I am a realtor now, but we relocated here 22 years ago. We have lived in 6 large cities and were relocated by Magnavox from Boston. We have three grown children who went to Queen of Angels Catholic school when they were in elementary school, and then to Bishop Dwenger High School. Two of them continued their post secondary education at the University of Saint Francis, which is a Catholic university (the other went to IPFW.) I would recommend the Northwest or Southwest side of town....as a realtor I can tell you with the expansion of Parkview Hospital, the North area around Dupont Road is exploding....Hope this helps you!

Old 02-16-2015, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 6,813 times
Default Relocating to Fort Wayne

Hi! I was excited to find this thread as my husband was recently offered a job in Fort Wayne and we are considering relocating from Buffalo, NY. We have to make a decision soon, but I haven't been able to find much information online. We have two small children, my oldest will be starting Kindergarten in September. We have heard that Southwest is the best area to raise a family. We want to come visit over a weekend, a quick trip and check out the area. Does anyone have any advice on where to stay, what to try to see or any other information that could help us research our potential move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
View detailed profiles of: